1548 replies to this topic

#1041 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

I'm not shocked by that rumour. It is clear Brodeur wants a deal. He has been saying these BS quotes since 8 games into the year when Cory was originally given the starting job. "Maybe I can help the team by being moved"..and so on.

Brodeur doesn't sound sentimental at all with these rumours. He's very calm and in control, and it seems to me he is 100% the driving force. Lou has always had 0% percent interest in ever trading Brodeur, and Marty makes it seem like he has no clue what will happen. The only thing he doesn't know is if Lou will actually pull the trigger on his request. He's not saying that and really boxing Lou in.

It's a shame that Brodeur can't except he isn't a starter anymore. He has no interest in being a backup..that's fine. But you want to be a soon-to-be 42-year-old goalie who gets to play a lot...when all the stats say you have been as bad as any NHL goalie over the last 3 seasons. Just can't happen. Having said that...it's for the best that he goes now with that attitude. The only issue is you have a GM that doesn't want to make it happen.

I think you are overdoing the Brodeur hate. On one hand you don't want Marty to say anything to the media about a possible trade and then on the other, you don't like that he is acting as if "he has no clue what will happen." 

Next, as far as 'boxing Lou in' goes, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure Lou doesn't feel like his hand is forced, he will make the decision that is best for the team. 

Most of all, I don't see what your big gripe is with Marty's 'attitude'. He has made it pretty clear he may not be able to go to a team that gives him a starting job - just the chance to play a bit more. He has also made it clear that he knows the Devils are not going to get much back for him.

Marty still wants to play - and believes he can. Why is that such a crime? Wouldn't it be way worse if he stuck around and demanded playing time from Pete publicly and caused a whole fiasco? But instead, Marty accepts that Cory starting is best for the team and is willing to go somewhere else to play a bit more. It's Marty's life and career and if he wants to keep playing and is still willing to be accommodating, I see no harm in anything he is doing. He could very easily come out and make this ugly, perhaps go to the media and say "After everything I've done for this team, and being a hall of fame goalie," etc... Instead, even though he has more wins than any goalie ever, he just kind of acts like it's completely normal business that he could be moved.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1042 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

If Marty wants to play and can help improve the Devils by fetching even a 2nd round pick I don't see a problem. It isn't a storybook ending but it's not a bitter ugly ending either. He's earned it.
Posted Image

#1043 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

If Marty wants to play and can help improve the Devils by fetching even a 2nd round pick I don't see a problem. It isn't a storybook ending but it's not a bitter ugly ending either. He's earned it.

"Even a second round pick"

A 2nd would be a heist and it'd be because of his name only.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#1044 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:04 AM

"Even a second round pick"

A 2nd would be a heist and it'd be because of his name only.

I think we could work a 2nd in if it's conditional, say if Minny (or whichever team) makes the second round or something.

Edited by Neb00rs, 04 March 2014 - 03:06 AM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1045 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

Its also hard to explain to the fanbase that you just traded Martin Brodeur, the common bond shard by every generation of Devils fan, the winningest goalie who's ever lived, the greatest Devil of all-time, and the face of the franchise for two decades for a third round pick.

In fairness, I think most Devils fans have made their peace with Marty getting dealt, especially if it's Marty himself who's pushing for it...I don't blame Lou for any of this, and I don't think too many Devils fans will either.  He wasn't going to just let Marty go after 2012, so he had to bring him back.  The lockout was looming and no one knew if there was going to be a 2012-13 season, so Lou had to go an extra year with Marty, especially when other teams apparently got involved.  Lou made a no-brainer deal for Schneider when it was obvious that bringing back Marty as the incumbent #1 would probably be a dangerous proposition, and clearly at some point, Lou had to start thinking about life after Marty, especially with the farm not having any real solid goaltending prospects.  That's another subject in itself...we should all count our luckies that Marty stayed here for so long and played as well as he did for so much of that time, because the Devils really did a terrible job at developing goalies from within, despite being willing to spend some upper-round picks on them during Marty's tenure.     

The only way this was going to be a completely smooth transition/ending was if Marty wanted to accept that he was going to lose the starting job to Cory as this year went on (barring him actually outplaying Cory, which we knew wasn't going to happen over the full course of the season), then was willing to play less and less, then would retire at season's end.  But in the end it's obvious the guy wants to play more than he currently does, and probably wants to play next season too.  He still thinks he has something left.  I'll be the first to admit that I think he's wrong on that count (he's not only inconsistent at best now, his lows are about as bad as it gets for an NHL goalies in 2014 who plays behind a good defensive team), and it would be so much better to see him finish out this season and call it quits as a Devil, and who knows, maybe that's what ultimately happens...but only one guy can make that call.  I can't pretend to know exactly what goes on in Marty's head, but this is probably an emotional and difficult time for him, and his head is probably all over the place.  I think he's trying to say the right things as he's questioned by the media, but the right things are probably changing day-to-day with him, and it sounds like he's trying to cover all bases with his quotes, which is pretty much impossible...there's nothing he can say that will be universally appealing. 

What sucks is some fans are turning on Marty and making fairly innocuous quotes sound a lot worse than they really are.  Hopefully those that are ticked at him for whatever the reasons will move past that quickly.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1046 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

bobby orr was moved, if marty wants a shot somewhere why hold him back? it wont change a thing imo. he'll be retired as a Devil great soon after.

and marty has been fine with the demotion, he hasnt really whinned much. he's been realistic.  getting old sucks lol

#1047 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

I guess Minnesota would be the place, but wouldn't everyone consider Jaro Halak to be the better goaltender. And if Marty faulters in Minnesota, would they want to deal with the headache of making Marty a backup to Darcy Keumper of all places.

#1048 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I guess Minnesota would be the place, but wouldn't everyone consider Jaro Halak to be the better goaltender.

Yes. 

believe2.jpg

#1049 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I guess Minnesota would be the place, but wouldn't everyone consider Jaro Halak to be the better goaltender. 

For sure.  But he's also the more expensive goaltender.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1050 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

No he's not. Halak's contract is less. They are both UFA

#1051 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

No he's not. Halak's contract is less. They are both UFA

Halak would cost more to acquire, is his meaning.

believe2.jpg

#1052 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

I would think a good deal more...

Marty could be had for scraps

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#1053 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Correct, that is what I meant.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1054 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

I'm not sure Halak would cost more to acquire. There are a lot of goalies available. If the Wild want Halak and are using Marty as leverage to lower the price on Halak from BUffalo, what's Buffalo going to do? They can get something for him or nothing and let him walk UFA. What's the point in that?

Also, I don't see us trading Marty unless it's doing him a favor. We'd still need a backup goalie. I know Marty has been mediocre at best most nights, but is KK an upgrade at that position. We still need a backup who can play a little bit. Where is that going to come from?

Is there a situation where we do Marty a favor by getting him more playing time/shot at a Cup with Minnesota, Minnesota sends somethign to Buffalo and we get Halak? I'd consider Halak long-term as a back up (although he'd get more money in KHL and playing time).

#1055 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Sal is skating today per TG.... fawk why cant you stay down Sal why?

www.SterioDesign.com

#1056 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Sal is skating today per TG.... fawk why cant you stay down Sal why?

That's why he has the C, his compete level. 

:argh:

believe2.jpg

#1057 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

To be honest between Salvador and Volchenkov, Salvador played better last time he was on the ice.

I'd rather both sit and we bring up Larson, but I actually don't mind sal in over volch if sal maintains the level of play he had last game.

#1058 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

To be honest between Salvador and Volchenkov, Salvador played better last time he was on the ice.

He most certainly did not. 

believe2.jpg

#1059 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

He most certainly did not. 

Agree to disagree.

#1060 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

"I don't think it's necessarily an accurate statement to say (Brodeur) is not the No, 1 guy," DeBoer said. "I think Cory grabbed the ball here prior to the Olympic break and ran with it for a while. Prior to that, Marty ran with it for a while.

"So I think it's been there for either of them to grab and they have at different respective times. And that's the case moving forward."

23-player roster limit done for rest of season, but Devils not callng up any other players at this time.

You win Lou.  I give up.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 05 March 2014 - 04:00 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users