1548 replies to this topic

#1101 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Was always a given Brodeur was going to start. There is the 3 wins in a row (very important to Pete), and he has had some very strong games against Philly (irrelevant, but something coaches always look at).

For everyone's sake, you now have to hope the Devils role with Brodeur because as long as they win, he will be starting.

I knew it was coming and I still don't believe it. PDB's officially braindead. Did he not see the last Carolina goal? My grandma would've done better to stop that one

Edited by DH26, 10 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#1102 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,182 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

I can't exactly blame Pete here. Cory has struggled since the break, and the team does score a lot more for Marty. That said I hope the hero worshippers are happy now, we've wasted a first rounder for a guy who ain't even going to play most of the crucial games of the season.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1103 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

I can't exactly blame Pete here. Cory has struggled since the break, and the team does score a lot more for Marty. That said I hope the hero worshippers are happy now, we've wasted a first rounder for a guy who ain't even going to play most of the crucial games of the season.

Marty's struggled since 2 years ago. So dumb. Not only the guy we gave up a first rounder for, but bar none the team's best player. So stupid

#1104 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

After the layoff DeBoer has basically reset everything from the season, so in this new season Brodeur has 3 wins and Schneider has 1.  NJ just has to score 4 goals and they'll at least get a point out of Tuesday's game - not that tall a task.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1105 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

After the layoff DeBoer has basically reset everything from the season, so in this new season Brodeur has 3 wins and Schneider has 1.  NJ just has to score 4 goals and they'll at least get a point out of Tuesday's game - not that tall a task.

I take great pride in calling this from the start: Nothing Schneider has done mattered before the last two bad games. Nothing Brodeur did mattered before the last two bad games. Brodeur's last two bad games so much better than Schneider's last two bad games...obviously.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1106 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I think Gionta is still an elite checker. Considering 39.6% of his starts are in the defensive zone, his 44% Corsi doesn't look so bad. 

That said, short of Ryder or Brunner being moved, I don't think their is room for him. 

http://www.extraskat...yer-usage-chart

However, 2/6 wouldn't be the end of the world.

#1107 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

The Devils are not going to keep scoring like the 86 Oilers forever. When that well runs dry we need something better than a POS in goal. Schneider needs to start vs Philly. They're a much better offensive team than Carolina.

The Devils are just pissing the game away. Will likely lose 5-2 or something

Edited by '7', 10 March 2014 - 02:22 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1108 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Cory has simply been shaky.  Marty has simply been bad.

I think Gionta is still an elite checker. Considering 39.6% of his starts are in the defensive zone, his 44% Corsi doesn't look so bad. 

That said, short of Ryder or Brunner being moved, I don't think their is room for him. 

http://www.extraskat...yer-usage-chart

However, 2/6 wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would love Brian back in this team!  He would be an upgrade over Bernier imo.  You can also use Brian on the special teams.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1109 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

The Devils are not going to keep scoring like the 86 Oilers forever. When that well runs dry we need something better than a POS in goal. Schneider needs to start vs Philly. They're a much better offensive team than Carolina

Did he just say scoring 4 goals is not that tall of a task?  Even the best offensive teams in the league don't score 4 goals at will.  Not only that, but the Flyers have relinquished a whopping 4 goals total to the Devils (not including the EN goal by Jagr in which case it'd be 5) in 3 games.  Granted, Marty has played well vs Philly this year.  He's only given up 4 goals himself against Philly in those 3 games.  Here's the problem though, Claude Giroux is on fire right now.  And the Flyers as a whole have been averaging well over 3 goals a game since November.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1110 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Did he just say scoring 4 goals is not that tall of a task?  Even the best offensive teams in the league don't score 4 goals at will.  Not only that, but the Flyers have relinquished a whopping 4 goals total to the Devils (not including the EN goal by Jagr in which case it'd be 5) in 3 games.  Granted, Marty has played well vs Philly this year.  He's only given up 4 goals himself against Philly in those 3 games.  Here's the problem though, Claude Giroux is on fire right now.  And the Flyers as a whole have been averaging well over 3 goals a game since November.

it was sarcasm, dog

#1111 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

I take great pride in calling this from the start: Nothing Schneider has done mattered before the last two bad games. Nothing Brodeur did mattered before the last two bad games. Brodeur's last two bad games so much better than Schneider's last two bad games...obviously.

It is beyond baffling.  PDB may not have jumped the shark yet, but he's putting on the leather jacket and the water skis.  I feel for Cory.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1112 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

it was sarcasm, dog

Whoops my bad.  Sorry Tri.  Make it more obvious next time!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1113 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

It is beyond baffling.  PDB may not have jumped the shark yet, but he's putting on the leather jacket and the water skis.  I feel for Cory.

at least randy carlyle's not the coach. we have that right? RIGHT? 

#1114 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

The direct choice of player itself often you can never say if its good or not cause well guys like Gionta had big moments and some top guys had terrible moments who cost us games so you never know what you're gonna get.

Whats frustrating is that DeBoer is creating that frustration among the young guys / our future. I mean it's a very recurring theme to see a younger guy who deserves to play sitting over an old over the hill getting the royal treatment. 

Like buddy from Florida was saying it sucks cause you keep on playing with an extra stress that if you fvck up you're gonna ride the bench for awhile and then you see the old vet getting away with murder straight time. It has to be damn frustrating

www.SterioDesign.com

#1115 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

I could kind of understand Marty getting the start if he played well against Carolina.  I didn't catch the second half of the game, but from all accounts he was not that good.  So this is all very disconcerting. 

I will say though that at least Pete is at least being consistent.  Marty didn't play the next seven games or so after the Yankee Stadium debacle, including a few back to back nights.  So we'll have to see, but it does appear that Schneider is getting more leeway for bad performances, although I recognize that it's difficult to assess since Schneider hasn't really had many bad performances.  

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1116 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,182 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

I could kind of understand Marty getting the start if he played well against Carolina.  I didn't catch the second half of the game, but from all accounts he was not that good.  So this is all very disconcerting. 

I will say though that at least Pete is at least being consistent.  Marty didn't play the next seven games or so after the Yankee Stadium debacle, including a few back to back nights.  So we'll have to see, but it does appear that Schneider is getting more leeway for bad performances, although I recognize that it's difficult to assess since Schneider hasn't really had many bad performances.  

Well he can't/shouldn't play Marty back-to-back because he's 42, so by that definition there's no way Cory sits through a back-to-back.  But honestly Marty IS graded on a different curve than Cory and it's frustrating.  This wouldn't even be an issue on any other team in the league, Cory would be playing.  But for some mysterious reason they decide to score for Marty and not for Cory and between that and Marty's deadline whining here we go again.  If their seasons had been reversed and Marty had the .918 with Cory the .898 you know they'd be giving him 80% of the starts.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 March 2014 - 03:18 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1117 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Schneider has been pretty bad since the break, but marty has defintley let in the worse goals.

I mean the detroit game sucked, but the wings were T-ing off from the slot like nobodys business. Marty wasn't saving those goals either. Stark difference between the NYR outdoor game for marty and this game for cory. Namley on alot of the goals he had no chance.

I guess petes thought process is, both goalies can't stop pucks but broduer is better at helping the D in their own zone. It's foolish imo simply because Cory is going to play better going foward then his last 2 games on an average basis. Marty is bad on an average basis.

This is just like what happened with moose in a way, obviously its a different situation but it is eerily similar because Pete is clearly a fvcking moron when it comes to these decisions. He did it wrong last year, he's defintley doing it wrong this year.

Unfortunetly for us, no matter what happens we might lose out in some way.

If we win, great playoffs still alive, but that means marty will continue to start. Which means Cory might feel jilted and not resign here. (some will say thats bullsh!t, but why should he be loyal to a team that has fvcked him around like this, especially a team that is going to continue to struggle going foward given the age of its good players, I see no reason to resign in new jersey for him)

If we lose, we are in trouble in the playoff hunt. And it's likley not even an instant return to Cory in net given Peter Dumbassdeboer history we will probably need 3-4 losses before Marty gets shown the bench.

Not really the best situation Pete is putting us in from a stand point this season or the future.

Edited by Sneax, 10 March 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#1118 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

If this is simply Pete making the decisions on Brodeur, then I've pretty much lost all faith in him. 2012 was a fluke run. The greater sample size of Florida + this year and last year is starting to prove that Deboer is not an NHL caliber coach. If Lou is complicit in this Brodeur insanity then he needs to be fired as well. 

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1119 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

If this is simply Pete making the decisions on Brodeur, then I've pretty much lost all faith in him. 2012 was a fluke run. The greater sample size of Florida + this year and last year is starting to prove that Deboer is not an NHL caliber coach. If Lou is complicit in this Brodeur insanity then he needs to be fired as well. 

Many would argue he did well in Florida. I don't think this is about Deboer.

Everything that has been reported leads to Brodeur and Lou discussing Marty's role with the team. After the deadline Brodeur felt as comfortable with his role on the team as he has since training camp. From his quotes, it leads me to believe that he and Cory were given clean slates, and as long as Brodeur did enough, he would get a chance to get the majority of the games.

The way Lou has gushed about Marty and his long documented history of micro-managing, I think this one is somewhat out of Pete's hands.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1120 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Many would argue he did well in Florida. I don't think this is about Deboer.

Everything that has been reported leads to Brodeur and Lou discussing Marty's role with the team. After the deadline Brodeur felt as comfortable with his role on the team as he has since training camp. From his quotes, it leads me to believe that he and Cory were given clean slates, and as long as Brodeur did enough, he would get a chance to get the majority of the games.

The way Lou has gushed about Marty and his long documented history of micro-managing, I think this one is somewhat out of Pete's hands.

If this is the case, then is shows us that LL is confident he'll re-sign Cory imo. Because if he was unsure, he would play Schneider more. I really don't believe that LL would've traded a top 10 overall pick for a 2 year rental.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users