1548 replies to this topic

#1121 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

If this is the case, then is shows us that LL is confident he'll re-sign Cory imo. Because if he was unsure, he would play Schneider more. I really don't believe that LL would've traded a top 10 overall pick for a 2 year rental.

How the hell would he be confident in signing him when A) technically he can't even talk contract until this summer, and B) he's not getting his shot here.  You can't just ask the guy to wait till he's 30 to take the reins.  He wants to build his own legacy.

Many would argue he did well in Florida. I don't think this is about Deboer.

Everything that has been reported leads to Brodeur and Lou discussing Marty's role with the team. After the deadline Brodeur felt as comfortable with his role on the team as he has since training camp. From his quotes, it leads me to believe that he and Cory were given clean slates, and as long as Brodeur did enough, he would get a chance to get the majority of the games.

The way Lou has gushed about Marty and his long documented history of micro-managing, I think this one is somewhat out of Pete's hands.

I don't dispute that some of this is a Lou influence but this is the same Pete that cited win/loss record as his excuse for keeping Cam in the lineup.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1122 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

How the hell would he be confident in signing him when A) technically he can't even talk contract until this summer, and B) he's not getting his shot here. You can't just ask the guy to wait till he's 30 to take the reins. He wants to build his own legacy.

I don't dispute that some of this is a Lou influence but this is the same Pete that cited win/loss record as his excuse for keeping Cam in the lineup.

Sometimes I wonder if Pete actually believes some of the sh!t he says, or if he's just feeding a line of BS to the media... The Cam comment was comical.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Well he can't/shouldn't play Marty back-to-back because he's 42, so by that definition there's no way Cory sits through a back-to-back.  But honestly Marty IS graded on a different curve than Cory and it's frustrating.  This wouldn't even be an issue on any other team in the league, Cory would be playing.  But for some mysterious reason they decide to score for Marty and not for Cory and between that and Marty's deadline whining here we go again.  If their seasons had been reversed and Marty had the .918 with Cory the .898 you know they'd be giving him 80% of the starts.

This is where I get ticked.  One guy definitely took a while to get going and find consistency (understandable in that he was coming to a new team), but he went on a hell of a run.  Three rough starts somehow negates it all. 

The other guy has been pretty bad for most of the past two seasons, but continues to get the "roll in the savior" treatment.  And you are right, if the save%s were reversed, Marty would be getting a hell of a lot more starts than Cory has to date.  Cory gets treated like he's a friggin' rookie that has to be handled with care and somehow STILL can't be trusted yet, while the other guy overall the past two seasons has been an inconsistent wild card at best who's benefitted from a lot of fortuitous goal support this year, but somehow HE'S the go-to old-faithful guy in PDB's eyes.  Makes no sense.  Only thing I can possibly think of is that Cory's having some bad practices lately, but based on what I've seen, I doubt Marty's looking great in them either.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1124 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

If this is simply Pete making the decisions on Brodeur, then I've pretty much lost all faith in him. 2012 was a fluke run. The greater sample size of Florida + this year and last year is starting to prove that Deboer is not an NHL caliber coach. If Lou is complicit in this Brodeur insanity then he needs to be fired as well.

Oh right, he hasn't consistently won with some of the worst rosters in the NHL, so he must be inept.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#1125 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

Honestly, given the management and personnel decisions this season, with the pinnacle being that the whinny backup goalie is now calling the shots after asking for a trade, this team doesn't deserve to make the playoffs. Obviously I hope they make it but a small part of me worries that if they do pull a run out of their asses, there will be no accountability for the abortion this season has become and everything will be status quo going into next season. This has easily been the most frustrating season I can remember and I'm old enough to have been a fan in the 80's.

#1126 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

How the hell would he be confident in signing him when A) technically he can't even talk contract until this summer, and B) he's not getting his shot here. You can't just ask the guy to wait till he's 30 to take the reins. He wants to build his own legacy.

Actually they can talk contract whenever they want, and for all we know they may have already. A deal just can't be signed until a certain point, which I'm not sure has passed yet. Lou knows what he gave up to obtain Schneider, and he did it for the exact reason that he understood that Marty was not a long term solution, or even a solution beyond the time his contract expires. The fact that Pete is giving too many starts to Marty bothers me because it makes a playoff berth this year that much less likely. I just dont think that Cory will be somehow offended by it when it comes to him deciding whether or not to sign a long term deal.

And Cam was in the lineup for what 15 games. I don't think you can glean anything from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

The thing that's frustrating is how many times we've seen this play out during the year.  If Brodeur only had 20 starts, it wouldn't be as bad.  But time and time again it's Brodeur wins a 4-3 or 5-4 game so he gets the next one.  And people wonder why this team can't get on winning streaks.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1128 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

The thing that's frustrating is how many times we've seen this play out during the year. If Brodeur only had 20 starts, it wouldn't be as bad. But time and time again it's Brodeur wins a 4-3 or 5-4 game so he gets the next one. And people wonder why this team can't get on winning streaks.

Don't have the inclination to look at it, but I seem to recall that it used to be he would get consecutive starts when he would win games while either giving up 2 or fewer goals, or if it were more, the goals were of the you can't do much about it sort. What makes his start against Philly disconcerting is that he wasn't that good against Carolina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1129 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

So many interesting/hilarious comments from Schneider and Brodeur in TG's column today:

“I always said that if I play 70 games a year my stats will show up to be in the top 10 of everything,” Brodeur said. “If I don’t play 70 games, I’ve got to win games. That’s what I always said. You guys were the first ones when I started the season and my goals-against average was four-point-something, and it was like, ‘What’s going on?’ My answer was, ‘Talk to me when we’re done with the season.’ Usually, it evens out when you play a lot, for me anyway. - See more at: http://blogs.northje...h.pjZEwObV.dpuf

Does he not get how stats work? The only thing he can't control is the win total when you don't play a ton of games. But 10, 20, 30, 40 games, if you are playing well your averages and percentages will show. Games played has nothing to do it. And since he started playing more, his GAA and save percentage have not improved. Does he think giving up 7 goals in 2 games is going to improve any of that?

Is that what he's always said...really? You need to play 70 games to get into the top 10? That's not how it works.

Whether it’s a 40-save shutout or a train wreck where you give up six or seven, I think that’s part of the evolution of being a starting goalie,” Schneider said. “You’ve got to come back in and be as good as you can be the next night whether it went well the night before or not. That’s part of the psyche you have to develop as a starting goalie. I know Marty’s done it for 20 years now and has gotten very good at it. I don’t know how many train wrecks he’s had in his career, though. I’m sure it’s far fewer than most other guys, but, for me, that’s something that I’m looking forward to getting to at some point.

“Last year, I was playing a lot in Vancouver down the stretch and I think there was a game where I gave up the first two shots in Edmonton and got pulled and they put me back in the next game and I felt good and I was right back where I was. So, it’s something that you learn with experience and something you need to have.”

- See more at: http://blogs.northje...h.pjZEwObV.dpuf

Oh Cory, great story about last year, but on this team...you'll never get a chance to get right back in there after a bad game...unless the offense scores 5 goals for you, and because you won, we pretend that you were solid and not fvcking awful.

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 March 2014 - 11:14 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1130 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

Brodeur thinks that if you play him more he plays better.  That's really what he thinks, so that's why he didn't get a shot at team Canada - he didn't play enough!  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1131 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

Good Lord Marty, the Devils won your last two starts in spite of you, not because of you. 

It's scary how delusional he sounds lately...I keep thinking he can't possibly be this oblivious as to what his current skill level is, but he still thinks it's 2003.  Does he still really think he could start 70 games and be successful, if only he was given the chance?   

Please retire at the end of the year. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1132 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

Marty seems to stick his foot in his mouth damn near every time he opens it these days. 70 games, get the fvck outta here with that. Marty needs to shut the fvck up. Just be quiet please.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1133 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

Good Lord Marty, the Devils won your last two starts in spite of you, not because of you. 

It's scary how delusional he sounds lately...I keep thinking he can't possibly be this oblivious as to what his current skill level is, but he still thinks it's 2003.  Does he still really think he could start 70 games and be successful, if only he was given the chance?   

More like please let him walk.  There's no way in hell he's going to retire with quotes like these, he's going to have to be dragged out.

Hate to say it but I wish we could have a mulligan on not trading him.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1134 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

so you still think the media are cherry picking his quotes and making it sound worst than it is? 

that his quotes/interviews are short or long... it seems pretty damn consistant to me.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1135 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

so you still think the media are cherry picking his quotes and making it sound worst than it is? 

that his quotes/interviews are short or long... it seems pretty damn consistant to me.

So if I respond to this does it mean I'm obsessed with you?

I never said that about the media, re:  cherry-picking.  I said there were definitely some FANS doing that for a while (picking apart his quotes to make him look bad), and I think some fans were definitely not fair to him in the past.  I also said that I felt that he was being honest, and I was OK with that for a while, but now I'd really like him to stop, and I think a lot of people who have firmly been in Marty's camp feel the same way at this point.  He'll get a pass on "that's what makes the greats great" for only so long, but his quotes are sadly becoming more comical by the day.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 March 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1136 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

So if I respond to this does it mean I'm obsessed with you?

I never said that about the media, re:  cherry-picking.  I said there were definitely some FANS doing that for a while (picking apart his quotes to make him look bad), and I think some fans were definitely not fair to him in the past.  I also said that I felt that he was being honest, and I was OK with that for a while, but now I'd really like him to stop, and I think a lot of people who have firmly been in Marty's camp feel the same way at this point.  He'll get a pass on "that's what makes the greats great" for only so long, but his quotes are sadly becoming more comical by the day.     

at this point i'm absolutely sure Brodeur knew all along what he was doing through the media, 100%. It was not about "honesty" or wtv. Of course he's honest cause he really think what he's saying but he knows he's putting pressure on the organization to give him more starts and all, it's pretty damn clear now.

Now i might be pushing but Marty might be one of those guys that seems so freaging class and everything (i still think he is) but a big chunk of it is cause everything has been going so well for him his whole career (it was deserved too) but so many guys are like that, it's when you go through hard times that you see people's true colours, anyone who played sports long enough knows that too. When things go well there's no point of pointing fingers or bitching about this and that. And i mean, we saw through the years that Marty is ALWAYS pointing fingers, it's never his fault. 

I still love Marty and he's the reason i've been a Devils fans since im 8 years old but still, he should keep his mouth shut.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1137 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'd like to think all goalies would do better if they played 65-70 games than 15-20, but the main thing is...you should be a very good goalie to warrant that. I hate the idea that Brodeur needs any amount of games to get going because he had success doing that back in the day. A few things:

1) Who knows if Brodeur playing 72 games was optimal. It was done and he was good, but whose to say from 99-08, he'd be better suited playing 55-65 games? His best statistical was in 96-97, when he played the least amount of his career (doesn't include injured seasons)

2) He is 42 in less than two months. What was good for you in 2000 is different than in 2014

3) Even if you did need 70 games to be at your best, there is a goalie behind you that is better than you...no matter how many games you played

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1138 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah there's no way Marty's retiring after this year - you can tell from his quotes that he definitely thinks he's still a capable starting goalie.  It's kinda unsettling..he's fully delusional - that quote about statistics evening out if he plays 70 games is downright scary.

Wins are not the stat goalies should be judged by Marty, it's their SV%.  He's stopping less than 90% of the shots he faces, which is downright awful.

This is going to get ugly folks.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1139 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

This board is way too hard on Brodeur.  He's the face of the franchise, it's not like he's begging for the attention, he simply gets the attention because he is the face and has been for over 20 years.  I don't see it as whiny and I don't see him "pressuring" the organization.  How can you be fans of a "team-first" franchise and allow one player to "pressure" the team.  He's a GODDAMN PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE simply stating that he wants to play more.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Just because a player says he wants something damn sure doesn't mean he going to get it.  The recently posted interview with TG he is trying to defend himself and his stats.  I agree that its not easy to defend his current stats, but what is he going to say, "Yeah, my stats suck"  I see nothing wrong with him arguing that his stats would normally average out as the season goes on. 

You cannot have a team-first mentality, and then go around accusing Brodeur of pressuring the team.  He's one player and he realizes that.  Brodeur has always had a winning is the most important stat mentality and in fact, in my years of following the team, he has never talked about the other stats until now.

Edited by RizzMB30, 11 March 2014 - 10:07 AM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#1140 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

This board is way too hard on Brodeur.  He's the face of the franchise, it's not like he's begging for the attention, he simply gets the attention because he is the face and has been for over 20 years.  I don't see it as whiny and I don't see him "pressuring" the organization.  How can you be fans of a "team-first" franchise and allow one player to "pressure" the team.  He's a GODDAMN PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE simply stating that he wants to play more.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Just because a player says he wants something damn sure doesn't mean he going to get it.  The recently posted interview with TG he is trying to defend himself and his stats.  I agree that its not easy to defend his current stats, but what is he going to say, "Yeah, I'm not playing my best hockey right now."  I see nothing wrong with him arguing that his stats would normally average out as the season goes on. 

You cannot have a team-first mentality, and then go around accusing Brodeur of pressuring the team.  He's one player and he realizes that.

i dont agree, plus tell me our coach or GM has NOT look at the name on the back when deciding who's in net all season long? Brodeur CERTAINLY got a special treatment there

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users