1548 replies to this topic

#1141 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

i dont agree, plus tell me our coach or GM has NOT look at the name on the back when deciding who's in net all season long? Brodeur CERTAINLY got a special treatment there

That's how the business world works sometime, the person with more experience gets special treatment.  I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not going to sit here, bitch, and point the finger at Brodeur for simply wanting to play his sport.  We shouldn't be wasting time bitching and moaning when Schneider is clearly our starter, now and in the future.

Edited by RizzMB30, 11 March 2014 - 10:24 AM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#1142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

That's how the business world works sometime, the person with more experience gets special treatment.  I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not going to sit here, bitch, and point the finger at Brodeur for simply wanting to play his sport.  We shouldn't be wasting time bitching and moaning when Schneider is clearly our starter, now and in the future.

How is Schneider clearly the starter?  After tonight, Brodeur will have started 32 games, Schneider 34.  That doesn't seem clear to me, and given NJ's inability to divorce themselves from Brodeur, it doesn't seem like it's clear in the future either.

Brodeur can complain about playing time all he wants.  He doesn't deserve more playing time.  He deserves much less.  And if his preferred destinations really did include Pittsburgh and Los Angeles, as Chris Stevenson reported on deadline day, he's utterly lost his mind.  If he's the face of the franchise, it's a franchise content to miss the playoffs to serve one man.

Edited by Triumph, 11 March 2014 - 10:33 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1143 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thankfully, Volch is back in.

Edit: Your average Devils fan disagrees

https://twitter.com/...412495513178115

Edited by devilsrule33, 11 March 2014 - 10:53 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

yeah but that goes for all athlete minus a few who are all set playing top minutes.

And no it's not bitching at Brodeur wanting to play his sport. It feels like bitching about a little rich girl whining cause she got a porsche  911 instead of a Ferrari for her birthday. Or bitching about that little girl who's not happy cause she's not getting anything on her sister's bday or something.

Schneider CLEARLY deserves more than 50.9% of the starts this season, and thats pretty much what he got, yet Brodeur wants more, so yeah. Thats saying he wants to play more than the best goalie, that's pretty selfish and not in the best interest of the team at all. On top of bringing up that he'd accept a trade anywhere. Not a team attitude at all.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1145 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

I don't think that the Devils are catering to Brodeur's ego, as many believe.  The fact that he says that wins are the most important stat in HIS mind is a team-first mentality.  He never said that he would accept a trade anywhere.  He simply stated that he has some control/say in where he may end up, is not going against the team mentality.  I didn't realize that Brodeur had received so many starts. 

Also, in response to Triumph, you cannot guarantee that the Devils would be in a better position had Schneider had say, even ten more starts than Brodeur with the way the team has played.  And simply blaming one person(Brodeur) for missing the playoffs is not catering to this team-first mentality.  Actually, blaming just Brodeur for the Devils missing the playoffs is asinine. 

Goalie Martin Brodeur will start again; it will be the first time he's started consecutive games since Dec. 31 and Jan. 3.  (Nhl.com)
If I'm going to bitch about a players ice time, its Stephen Gionta, not Brodeur.

Edited by RizzMB30, 11 March 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#1146 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,341 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

I don't think that the Devils are catering to Brodeur's ego, as many believe.  The fact that he says that wins are the most important stat in HIS mind is a team-first mentality.  He never said that he would accept a trade anywhere.  He simply stated that he has some control/say in where he may end up, is not going against the team mentality.  I didn't realize that Brodeur had received so many starts. 

Also, in response to Triumph, you cannot guarantee that the Devils would be in a better position had Schneider had say, even ten more starts than Brodeur. 

If you look at the numbers when it comes to stopping pucks...yes they do suggest the Devils would be in a better position had he played more

The Devils have bailed Brodeur out a lot this year. He is a .898 goaltender who get 3+ goals a game of support. If you switch goal support...Brodeur would have fewer than 10 years. They win in spite of him most times. It's just dumb luck.

Brodeur has cost this team points this year. Calgary, Edmonton, the outdoor game, the Blue Jacket gag job in mid December. He blew a 4-1 lead to a bad team Saturday night and he was bailed out. He blew multiple leads to Detroit right before the deadline...and they bailed him out. Schneider was great against the Capitals. We scored 0 for him

To be honest if you're getting 3+ goals a game of support, 16-11-4 is not that good. You'd expect at least 19-8-4 with that kind of help

Edited by '7', 11 March 2014 - 05:45 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1147 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Volchenkov is really better than Salvador, and younger at that. We'll see how the season finishes, but I imagine Lou uses the amnesty on one of them. An interesting scenario would be getting rid of Sal, re-signing Fayne and Zidlicky, and trading Larsson, perhaps for Evander Kane or Edmonton's first round pick if they're not in a position to draft Ekblad, who I would assume they would rather have than Larsson. That leaves you with a defense of Greene, Merrill, Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Fayne, Gelinas and a cheap dependable defenseman to step in for Gelinas if need be (could be Harrold). After his deal is over, you can reasonably hope that Santini can replace Volchenkov, and that Severson can eventually replace Zidlicky, or Fayne. In the meantime, we would either be getting immediate forward help for Larsson, or perhaps a very good forward prospect.

Just throwing it out there, but something's gotta give.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1148 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

I just fear Adam Larsson is gonna go the Nino Niederreiter route.  I hope not, but if he keeps getting treated this way, I can definitely see it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Volchenkov is really better than Salvador, and younger at that. We'll see how the season finishes, but I imagine Lou uses the amnesty on one of them. An interesting scenario would be getting rid of Sal, re-signing Fayne and Zidlicky, and trading Larsson, perhaps for Evander Kane or Edmonton's first round pick if they're not in a position to draft Ekblad, who I would assume they would rather have than Larsson. That leaves you with a defense of Greene, Merrill, Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Fayne, Gelinas and a cheap dependable defenseman to step in for Gelinas if need be (could be Harrold). After his deal is over, you can reasonably hope that Santini can replace Volchenkov, and that Severson can eventually replace Zidlicky, or Fayne. In the meantime, we would either be getting immediate forward help for Larsson, or perhaps a very good forward prospect.

There's no way the Devils can get anything like that for Adam Larsson.  Evander Kane is a star.  Adam Larsson's going to be a good player and I don't think we've seen the last of him this year, but you're not going to get someone like Evander Kane for him.

#1150 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

IMO, the reason we haven't traded Larsson is because there is no value in doing so. At this point there is no one he can bring here that will be more beneficial to the team than having a young defenseman who still has plenty of time to turn into a good player.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1151 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

There's no way the Devils can get anything like that for Adam Larsson. Evander Kane is a star. Adam Larsson's going to be a good player and I don't think we've seen the last of him this year, but you're not going to get someone like Evander Kane for him.

Kane had the 30 goal year a few years ago, but he's always has been significantly less than a point a game. He's no more a star than Van Riemsdyke, who got dealt for less. Plus, there are always grumblings out of Winnipeg about attitude issues.

So far as Edmonton, they've made it clear that their first round pick is in play, and they need defensemen in the worst way. The top of the draft figures to have Ekblad, and then a whole bunch of forwards.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#1152 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

Kane had the 30 goal year a few years ago, but he's always has been significantly less than a point a game. He's no more a star than Van Riemsdyke, who got dealt for less. Plus, there are always grumblings out of Winnipeg about attitude issues.

So far as Edmonton, they've made it clear that their first round pick is in play, and they need defensemen in the worst way. The top of the draft figures to have Ekblad, and then a whole bunch of forwards.

But you discount the Flyers being dumb and not realizing Schenn was garbage like everyone in Toronto did. Aside from maybe Richards and Carter if Couturier can ever learn to score, who have the Flyers traded away and gotten equal value for? Also, JVR was always hurt and was paid for basically half a season of awesome play. He wasn't this in Philly 

Edited by DH26, 12 March 2014 - 11:52 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#1153 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

But you discount the Flyers being dumb and not realizing Schenn was garbage like everyone in Toronto did. Aside from maybe Richards and Carter if Couturier can ever learn to score, who have the Flyers traded away and gotten equal value for?

Has Winnipeg's management proven to be geniuses, and when was the last time that franchise made the playoffs?

And ultimately the Flyers did pretty well in the Carter deal, if only by virtue of getting Vorachek. And otherwise, no one was complaining about the Richards and Carter deals when the Flyers destroyed the Penguins in the 2012 playoffs, and actually finished the regular season better than the Devils. Carter was pretty ineffective in Columbus, and it wasn't like LA was a crappy team before Richards and Carter got there.

Posted Image

#1154 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Carter. They were like a bubble team till they got him.

Has Winnipeg's management proven to be geniuses, and when was the last time that franchise made the playoffs?

And ultimately the Flyers did pretty well in the Carter deal, if only by virtue of getting Vorachek. And otherwise, no one was complaining about the Richards and Carter deals when the Flyers destroyed the Penguins in the 2012 playoffs, and actually finished the regular season better than the Devils. Carter was pretty ineffective in Columbus, and it wasn't like LA was a crappy team before Richards and Carter got there.

#1155 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

not related to previous discussions but i really think Zids role on the team is undervalued. Yeah he's ALWAYS taking bad penalties and he's pretty slow but damn he's be bringing up the puck and making great creative plays in the offensive zone. Honestly without him im not sure where the devils would be.

And this is not simply based on last game. He brings a dimension that no other dmen on the team can bring so far. I really hope we re-sign him for next season. I'd want to see Harrold and Salvador gone next season

Edited by SterioDesign, 13 March 2014 - 07:36 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1156 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I honestly think fayne is gone this offseason and we re-sign zidlicky. Fayne will be one of the most sought after ufa defenseman on July 1, so there will be a bidding war, and it might just be in Lou's best interest to let him go rather than pay over $4mil per and still have a logjam on the right side with trouble finding a spot for Larsson.

The alternative would be to amnesty Volch or sal like you said and use that space on fayne's raise but I just don't see Lou doing that.

Edited by dmann422, 13 March 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#1157 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Carter. They were like a bubble team till they got him.

LA had been underachieving and got new life when they fired their coach.  Don't get me wrong, Carter helped the Kings a lot.  But you can't really characterize him as an elite player that made a bad team a Stanley Cup winner.  But the point otherwise was that Philly did not really get fleeced in the Carter deal, or really the Richards deal for that matter.   

Posted Image

#1158 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

I honestly think fayne is gone this offseason and we re-sign zidlicky. Fayne will be one of the most sought after ufa defenseman on July 1, so there will be a bidding war, and it might just be in Lou's best interest to let him go rather than pay over $4mil per and still have a logjam on the right side with trouble finding a spot for Larsson.

The alternative would be to amnesty Volch or sal like you said and use that space on fayne's raise but I just don't see Lou doing that.

I could see this happening, at least a bidding war for Fayne, but I can't see Lou going over 3.5 on Fayne.  Even 3.5 could be too much for Fayne.  He's been playing top pairing minutes with Greenie and I've really liked him because he's had to EARN his playing time, because he was in the DeBo doghouse for a while at the start of the season.  I won't care if Zidlicky leaves, but I could definitely see him back if Fayne does not return.  Fayne has been a great find and his contract is a bargain right now. 

EDIT: As for big UFAs, I see Boyle, Mejzaros, Markov, Corvo, Timmonen, Morris, Hainsey, Orpik.  That's not a sh!tty pool of UFAs, but must consider how many resign before FA hits (Boyle, Markov, Orpik)
http://www.capgeek.c...=D&fa_type_id=2

Edited by RizzMB30, 13 March 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#1159 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Schneider's playing tomorrow in Florida per TG.

#1160 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

LA had been underachieving and got new life when they fired their coach.  Don't get me wrong, Carter helped the Kings a lot.  But you can't really characterize him as an elite player that made a bad team a Stanley Cup winner.  But the point otherwise was that Philly did not really get fleeced in the Carter deal, or really the Richards deal for that matter.   

They went 25-13-11 under Sutter, which works out to .622 - that's pretty good, but doesn't scream 'cup contender'.  

No one is an elite player who makes a bad team a Cup winner.

I also don't see Fayne generating a ton of interest UFA - I don't think teams trust guys from NJ with no pedigree elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users