1543 replies to this topic

#1221 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

I'm not one to usually go based on wins and losses but here is NJ's record with Gelinas in the lineup vs out of the lineup.

26 - 17 - 1 - 6

Why isn't he playing again?

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1222 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,723 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

I'm not one to usually go based on wins and losses but here is NJ's record with Gelinas in the lineup vs out of the lineup.

26 - 17 - 1 - 6

Why isn't he playing again?

Wins and losses is dumb.  He isn't playing because he's been a trainwreck on D.  Merrill has started to slip as well so I think maybe Gelinas should get another shot, but he hasn't been very good at ES in several months.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1223 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,756 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

Wins and losses is dumb.  He isn't playing because he's been a trainwreck on D.  Merrill has started to slip as well so I think maybe Gelinas should get another shot, but he hasn't been very good at ES in several months.

They are missing Gelinas on the PP, but nowhere else. He was becoming unplayable on even strength for a while now. You could easily dress 7 defensemen but with Rutuu taking over Loktionov's spot, there isn't anyone I could see Pete scratching. Of course you could take Bernier or Carter out, but does anyone expect that?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1224 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

While this is true, his worth on PP is massive. I believe Merrill is finally breaking down after a very long first pro season and this would be the time to reinsert Gelinas.

#1225 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,723 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

While this is true, his worth on PP is massive. I believe Merrill is finally breaking down after a very long first pro season and this would be the time to reinsert Gelinas.

It's not as big as you would think - he plays very well but he is also getting very lucky.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1226 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

I like the guys, but at this point I don't care if any of the 4th line (Bernier, Gionta, Carter) guys go. All of their production has dropped dramatically from the last 2 seasons and the CBGB love fest has long ended for me. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1227 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Does anybody know why Pete separated Elias and Henrique?

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1228 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

Because scoring goals is overrated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hxMQPDl.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#1229 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Because scoring goals is overrated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You know, I really want to see a line of Henrique - Elias - Ryder again.  Ryder has been playing well despite not scoring.  I think maybe putting him on a line with those two might put him over the hump.  I wanna see it for a full game though.

#1230 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

You know, I really want to see a line of Henrique - Elias - Ryder again.  Ryder has been playing well despite not scoring.  I think maybe putting him on a line with those two might put him over the hump.  I wanna see it for a full game though.

In what world has Ryder been playing well?

#1231 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

In what world has Ryder been playing well?

He's been getting a lot of chances.  He just hasn't been putting the puck in the net.  His effort has been good imo.

#1232 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

He's been getting a lot of chances.  He just hasn't been putting the puck in the net.  His effort has been good imo.

Maybe, but he isn't impressing anyone with his defensive effort.  Or his speed for that matter.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#1233 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

Maybe, but he isn't impressing anyone with his defensive effort.  Or his speed for that matter.

He's not good in either aspect for sure.  But that's also not his role.  But the Devils need him to start putting the puck in the net.  I think that's he's got the best chance if he plays with Elias.  Zubrus hasn't played center a lot in recent years, but Pete has no other choice imo.  Unless he wants to use Carter at center.  Elias is being wasted on the 3rd line, and I don't think it helps the team much with him being there.

#1234 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

Pete wanted to reduce the numbers of goals being produced by the Elias and Henrique combo.

Actually he wanted to see if he could get scoring from a third line. It didn't work.

#1235 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

He's not good in either aspect for sure.  But that's also not his role.  But the Devils need him to start putting the puck in the net.  

this is exactly why he hasn't been playing well, his one and only job is to score and he hasn't. He bring literally nothing else to the table. You can call it bad luck but 23 games now is more than just luck no matter who you play with.

#1236 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Marty starting against Boston. 

I'm kind of meh about it for the time being.  The save percentage is what it is, but with so few games left in the season, you might as well go with the hot hand. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1237 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

He did play really well against Tampa.. like it or not Schneider has effectively let Marty back into the 1B role.

hxMQPDl.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#1238 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Marty is playing against Boston.

#1239 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Marty starting against Boston. 

I'm kind of meh about it for the time being.  The save percentage is what it is, but with so few games left in the season, you might as well go with the hot hand. 

Yep, unfortunately Cory hasn't really given DeBoer any other choice but to start Marty this week, he's made it really hard to put trust in him since the Olympic break, which really sucks.

#1240 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Marty is playing against Boston.

Yeah, Daniel posted that over an hour before you did. 

Anyway, like others are saying, Cory isn't giving PDB much of a reason to put him in over Marty, crazy as it sounds.  Hope Cory pulls it together soon.  Even if Marty has been decent overall in his last five (and benefitted from some goal support before the Tampa nightmare), no way I can expect him to continue that.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users