1548 replies to this topic

#1261 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:59 AM

Sort of off topic, but why is no one talking about Hedman as a Norris candidate? I think he's right there with dmen who are around the same age (Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo)

For one, he plays in Tampa. Second, I think he lacks that stand-out quality of Karlsson or Subban. He's very well rounded in that aspect. Third, I think many people perceive him to be a bust because of his relative struggles in his first couple of years and not hearing much about him since draft. 

I believe Tampa gets about 54% of the goals when he's on the ice and something like 46% when he's not...so he's pretty darn important.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#1262 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

So Lou burns one of his four call-ups for Sestito.  What a complete waste.  With Carter injured, that still gives us 12 healthy forwards.  Not to mention you can always dress 7 defenseman and use Gelinas strictly on the power play.

#1263 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

So Lou burns one of his four call-ups for Sestito.  What a complete waste.  With Carter injured, that still gives us 12 healthy forwards.  Not to mention you can always dress 7 defenseman and use Gelinas strictly on the power play.

I just don't get it.  Just..why Lou?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1264 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I imagine this also means that the team has given up on Josefson.  Not just DeBoear, but also Lou.  Stinks when those first-round picks don't work out. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1265 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Gelinas in and a-train out vs Boston.

#1266 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Came here to complain. This Sestito callup set me off on a lot of things. I know we sit here as armchair GMs and coaches and say we could do a better job, but I really feel like I can. Guys like Michael Ryder, Steve Bernier, Bryce Salvador, and Dainius Zubrus can play like the worst pair of jeans at a the Salvation Army store and still not get disciplined in the least while guys like Gelinas, Josefson, Larsson and formerly Loktionov have to worry about making the slightest mistakes and getting banished by the dumb coach. Ryder should have sat a game or two in the press box weeks ago. Zubrus has 2 goals in 31 games and is deep in the minus column in that span and the team's answer to a MUST WIN game against one of the best teams in the league is to call up Tim freaking Sestito and sit the goalie that gives the team the best chance to win. Also, Henrique has 9 goals in 6 games and gets moved to the third line to center two players that aren't playing well. the first game, he had a goal on that line and a goal on the penalty kill (with Elias) but has been a zero point -4 player since. Please find me one other team in the league that puts their top goal scorer on the third line... then plays them only 16 minutes in a must win game (Florida).

Here's my lineup for tonight:

Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr

Henrique-Elias-Brunner

Clowe-Josefson-Ryder

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Gelinas-Merrill

Schneider

Give Josefson the chance to play with real NHL players and add some speed to a ridiculously slow line. Tell Zubrus to take a seat on the fourth line and get his sh!t together. In my 26 years of being alive I've never been more frustrated with this team and looking forward to the season ending so I can watch the Red Bulls and a team that actually wants to win.

#1267 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

i don't know what makes me angrier:

sestito over josefson or merrill over volchenkov.

if they want to put gelinas back in, fine. but don't do it for volchenkov where you're completely taking away a skillset. merrill has not been that good for weeks now.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1268 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Merrill is going to get eaten alive by the Bruins forwards. 

#1269 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

In what fvcking world do the Devils justify Sestito over JJ? Do they strive to put out LESS offense in big games? I mean sh!t, JJ has at least been drawing some penalties and starting breakouts. Instead we have a guy who is absolutely useless. And Larsson CONTINUES to rot in the AHL. It's un-fvcking-believable.

believe-devs.jpg

#1270 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

While the actual using of the recall itself is no big deal imo, the decision in general to actually play Sestito will forever boggle my mind.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1271 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

i don't know what makes me angrier:

sestito over josefson or merrill over volchenkov.

if they want to put gelinas back in, fine. but don't do it for volchenkov where you're completely taking away a skillset. merrill has not been that good for weeks now.

I've passed the point of anger, I'm not even surprised at this point.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1272 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

We couldn't go an entire season without a Sestito sighting.  Sestito = playoffs.  Book it! 

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 18 March 2014 - 11:10 AM.

Posted Image

#1273 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I've passed the point of anger, I'm not even surprised at this point.

Pretty much this.  I think I'm fresh out of anger by now.  It's just confusion.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1274 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

I sometimes wonder what horrible, horrible things Josefson must have done to Lou or Deboer's pets to deserve being behind Tim Sestito.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1275 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,572 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Josefson himself claimed that the coaches told him that line needs more size.  It seems like a (over)reaction to playing the Bruins.  But at least the Devils haven't turned their franchise upside down like the Sabres did.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1276 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Josefson himself claimed that the coaches told him that line needs more size.  It seems like a (over)reaction to playing the Bruins.  But at least the Devils haven't turned their franchise upside down like the Sabres did.

This is so ridiculous. The Devils need more size so they take out Volchenkov (who Deboer praised days ago for playing "a man's game" against Philly), but they add Sestito for size for the Bruins. I guess in a way it makes sense with Pete's completely over-valuing the 4th line.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1277 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Josefson is one of the best passers on the fvcking team! It's a proven fact and he's in the fvcking press box.  Not to mention Josefson has some pretty good legs (and fresh). 

Edited by RizzMB30, 18 March 2014 - 12:17 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#1278 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

No words anymore...

Hopefully next season, they'll inject some youth into this old, slow team. Agreed that both of those lineup choices are really strange choices (Sestito/Josefson and Merrill/Volchenkov).

But yeah, on the bright side, I guess we're not the Sabres.

#1279 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Lou loves to fill in 'roles' on his team. But there is just no reason in this universe that Tim Sestito should be in the lineup against the Bruins. Lou waits until we are playing the hottest and possibly best team in the league to call up a scrappy minor leaguer.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1280 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

We couldn't go an entire season without a Sestito sighting.  Sestito = playoffs.  Book it! 

He played 9 games earlier this season ;)

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users