1548 replies to this topic

#1401 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

The chances are worse with Brodeur in net.  If you don't see that, you are lost at sea.  You can argue around the point all you want.

I'm not arguing that. Obviously to some degree the chances are less. That's why I want Cory to start, and be signed. This is not contradictory to the idea that in actuality, starting Brodeur hasn't been the reason that this team isn't in playoff position right now and that the Devils can't score goals. The fact stands that even with Brodeur in net, this team has been able to let in relatively few goals.

RE: Marty starting. This is not a surprise. They were in an alternating pattern already. Pete usually favors wins UNLESS both goalies have a really good game. That's what happened here. I would guess that Cory will get next regardless.

Edited by Neb00rs, 26 March 2014 - 12:58 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1402 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

pete looks for excuses to play marty. different strokes for different folks. i'm furious that marty is starting. his rust should be of no concern.

like a disobedient child, this toy must be taken away from the coach. this is punting the season plain and simple.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1403 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

pete looks for excuses to play marty. different strokes for different folks. i'm furious that marty is starting. his rust should be of no concern.

like a disobedient child, this toy must be taken away from the coach. this is punting the season plain and simple.

Probably thinks about how much his puck handling helps the breakout.  His puck stopping also helps the breakout - with a few Brodeur softies, the other team stops forechecking and the puck just flies out of NJ's defensive zone.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1404 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

I've never been more upset to be right about anything...well ever. When you look back at some of the games that Brodeur cost the Devils all season, the 3-2 loss to the Yotes comes right to mind. Marty let in 3 atrocious goals in that one.

Maybe Marty asked for this one too...

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1405 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

It used to be that Marty had the goal support and wins despite Schneider having the much better stats and general personal performance.

Then Marty only had a couple wins here and there while Schneider started to grab some wins as well, while also keeping up the level of play and stats.

Now Marty's lost three in a row while Schneider's won two in a row, is still playing very well, and still toward the top of the league in stats, while also getting some decent goal support finally.

This is frustrating.

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 March 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#1406 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Brodeur being rusty wasn't an issue when Cory played how many games in a row after the outdoor classic. 

They needed to play Brodeur before the Outdoor game , so he wouldn't be rusty for the outdoor game. That worked well. Now they need the one of the worst goalies statistically not to be rusty for...for...for...The fvcking playoffs are on the line. Go with the better goalie and not worry about anyone else.

Again, for me this goes back to the chat Lou and Marty had after the break. Marty was down and out, but came back after the deadline really happy with his role. A role that I imagine was told would change. He wanted to be part of the push for the playoffs, and I think he was guaranteed he would. No reason to start him tomorrow otherwise. If Cory posted a shootout, you "risk" losing Marty again like Pete did after the Rangers debacle. This was probably promised to Brodeur that it would not happen again. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1407 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Cory for your time here

#1408 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Brodeur being rusty wasn't an issue when Cory played how many games in a row after the outdoor classic. 

They needed to play Brodeur before the Outdoor game , so he wouldn't be rusty for the outdoor game. That worked well. Now they need the one of the worst goalies statistically not to be rusty for...for...for...The fvcking playoffs are on the line. Go with the better goalie and not worry about anyone else.

Again, for me this goes back to the chat Lou and Marty had after the break. Marty was down and out, but came back after the deadline really happy with his role. A role that I imagine was told would change. He wanted to be part of the push for the playoffs, and I think he was guaranteed he would. No reason to start him tomorrow otherwise. If Cory posted a shootout, you "risk" losing Marty again like Pete did after the Rangers debacle. This was probably promised to Brodeur that it would not happen again. 

I think he was guaranteed a shot if he played well, and he's played relatively well.  But again we need him now to keep playing well so he'll fool some idiot team in the off-season - him playing bad or not playing would only increase the chances that he comes back here and talks about how 'I always wanted to stay here'.

#1409 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I think he was guaranteed a shot if he played well, and he's played relatively well.  But again we need him now to keep playing well so he'll fool some idiot team in the off-season - him playing bad or not playing would only increase the chances that he comes back here and talks about how 'I always wanted to stay here'.

Sadly, the only fool Marty has been fooling is the GM of the New Jersey Devils. The rest of the league is not going to be interested. When I say the rest of the league, I mean the 3-4 teams that Brodeur has on his "want to sign with" list, which right now probably reads..."whomever the Eastern and Western Conference Finals' representatives will be" 

#1410 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,036 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

More of the same.

If Marty's here next year I don't know what I'll do, honestly. Follow the team more distantly until he's gone? Hope Cory decides to stick around, despite playing second fiddle to a 42 year old who clearly hasn't been better.

Cory should start tonight. Ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1411 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Sadly, the only fool Marty has been fooling is the GM of the New Jersey Devils. The rest of the league is not going to be interested. When I say the rest of the league, I mean the 3-4 teams that Brodeur has on his "want to sign with" list, which right now probably reads..."whomever the Eastern and Western Conference Finals' representatives will be" 

I am very much not convinced of this - if Brodeur has a good stretch run, someone will want him.  And I think he badly wants to go elsewhere.

#1412 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Marty starting tomorrow after three straight losses when Cory has two straight wins...Pete and Lou have definitely jumped the shark.

Both have to go for allowing this. This is unforgivable. If they are this stupid, or if they are gleefully punting a season to stroke Marty's ego then they absolutely don't belong here anymore

I can't believe what Lou has turned into with the handling of Brodeur.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1413 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

So the double standard lives. Go fvck yourself Pete. And you too Lou, for that matter.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1414 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Marty should've gotten the John MacLean treatment. Remember, Mac was a Devils legend back then.

He became a bitch and Lou kicked him to the curb in a second. And MacLean wasn't anywhere near as ancient as Brodeur. But we got over it. If Brodeur was traded we would've gotten over it by now as well

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1415 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Marty should've gotten the John MacLean treatment. Remember, Mac was a Devils legend back then.

He became a bitch and Lou kicked him to the curb in a second. And MacLean wasn't anywhere near as ancient as Brodeur. But we got over it. If Brodeur was traded we would've gotten over it by now as well

I believe MacLean demanded a trade.  Brodeur just told the press every day about how much he didn't want a trade and how Lou would have to approach him first and how he'd like to stay here and how he'd like playing time but not a trade but he'd like to stay here but playing time would be nice and he's thought about going elsewhere but no he'd rather remain here.

#1416 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I believe MacLean demanded a trade.  Brodeur just told the press every day about how much he didn't want a trade and how Lou would have to approach him first and how he'd like to stay here and how he'd like playing time but not a trade but he'd like to stay here but playing time would be nice and he's thought about going elsewhere but no he'd rather remain here. And how if he was traded it wouldn't matter if it was to a playoff team and oh wait a second I have a list of 8 teams but I'd like to stay here

#1417 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

i must admit - these jabs at marty are great and i agree that he's more harm than good these days, but you'd think it's now a question whether DM will put his jersey on the header of the page when it's retired...

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1418 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

If Cory was signed beyond next year this would be somewhat comical, but since he's not it's just annoying.  Yeah sit Cory out earlier in the year when he was on fire because he's not winning but when Marty's not winning that's okay cause he's playing well.  Honestly they're more or less using whatever metric they can that particular week to justify playing Marty the majority of games.

#1419 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

This is inexcusable. It's like we're not even trying to make the playoffs anymore.  The season is literally on the line and they are still trying to appease Marty.  I'm not going to blast DeBoer because this has to be coming from above him   You don't have the balls to pull Brodeur after two bad goals in the playoffs against Florida and then play him now when the season and probably his job is on the line.  As others have said, I think this all goes back to promises Lou must have made at the deadline to MB41 and at this point it should be the end of the line for Lou.   

#1420 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Honestly, I'm still not completely over the Johnny Mac for Doug Bodger trade. Maybe I should be at this point, but he was my favorite player and it was heartbreaking to see him in another jersey after I really thought he'd be our first number retired.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users