1548 replies to this topic

#1421 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

This is inexcusable. It's like we're not even trying to make the playoffs anymore.  The season is literally on the line and they are still trying to appease Marty.  I'm not going to blast DeBoer because this has to be coming from above him   You don't have the balls to pull Brodeur after two bad goals in the playoffs against Florida and then play him now when the season and probably his job is on the line.  As others have said, I think this all goes back to promises Lou must have made at the deadline to MB41 and at this point it should be the end of the line for Lou.   

No, I really don't think so - I mean, I think maybe Brodeur playing against Long Island came from above, but everything else has just followed from there - Schneider wouldn't be sitting if he hadn't played poorly in most of his games recently.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1422 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

pete looks for excuses to play marty. different strokes for different folks. i'm furious that marty is starting. his rust should be of no concern.

like a disobedient child, this toy must be taken away from the coach. this is punting the season plain and simple.

The irony is Marty's best play has come after extended breaks lol...he went on his late October-early November hot streak after sitting nine days.  He came out hot after the break from sitting a month.  While Cory's best play came when he was clearly the guy in January/early February and getting the majority of starts.

But god forbid we play Cory two games in a row down the stretch now that the playoffs are on the line. 

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1423 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

No, I really don't think so - I mean, I think maybe Brodeur playing against Long Island came from above, but everything else has just followed from there - Schneider wouldn't be sitting if he hadn't played poorly in most of his games recently.

How about Detroit at home the day before the trade deadline? Yeah, Cory lost to San Jose but he beat Columbus coming out of the break and Marty beat the Isles. Why should MB41 have gotten the first Detroit game? He stood to get one of the back to backs the following weekend anyway.

Edited by Lateralous, 26 March 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#1424 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Marty's got the net tomorrow night.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1425 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Marty's got the net tomorrow night.

Do you ever fvcking read anything before you post?  Jesus christ.  I'm normally one of your defenders but PEOPLE HAVE POSTED THIS ALREADY

#1426 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Do you ever fvcking read anything before you post?  Jesus christ.  I'm normally one of your defenders but PEOPLE HAVE POSTED THIS ALREADY

I always post first then read the thread.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1427 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Nah, why would he do that? The post count is more important than the content.

Also, I'm so done with DeBoer. The double standard is awful and just flat out unacceptable.

believe-devs.jpg

#1428 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

How about Detroit at home the day before the trade deadline? Yeah, Cory lost to San Jose but he beat Columbus coming out of the break and Marty beat the Isles. Why should MB41 have gotten the first Detroit game? He stood to get one of the back to backs the following weekend anyway.

Schneider wasn't good in either game - it's not really defensible, given that we've seen that the Devils season is like Whose Line Is It Anyway - the rules are made up and the points don't matter.  But if you were starting each guy on an equal footing, for some reason, that's what you'd do.

#1429 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,935 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Schneider wasn't good in either game - it's not really defensible, given that we've seen that the Devils season is like Whose Line Is It Anyway - the rules are made up and the points don't matter.  But if you were starting each guy on an equal footing, for some reason, that's what you'd do.

That's a great fvcking line. Bravo sir.

I for one was fine with Mike Brown's post. I had taken a nap and thought the whole thing was a dream until he reminded me it wasn't.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1430 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

Honestly, I'm still not completely over the Johnny Mac for Doug Bodger trade. Maybe I should be at this point, but he was my favorite player and it was heartbreaking to see him in another jersey after I really thought he'd be our first number retired.

I remember when he had stated that he had asked Lou for a trade in a pre-game interview...actually made me feel a little sick.  Really bummed me out at the time.  Kind of sucked that he never gave his new role a chance.  That's part of what made Stevens so special...the guy has an awesome offensive season in '93-'94, and the Devils ask him to become more of a defensive guy.  He did it without complaint. 

I always annoy first then derail the thread.

Fixed.

Seriously, what was the point of posting something everyone already knew?  You'll play the "who, me?" card, but you know full well what you're doing when you pull crap like that.  Is it so hard to heed the advice that YOU yourself asked for in PMs to multiple members?  If you took any of it, you wouldn't keep pissing people off. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1431 NJDfan1711

NJDfan1711

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

I don't have an issue with Marty starting.  I am fine with either guy getting the start because I think they can both play and get us a W.  I think Marty is starting because we've had 3 days off as a team, and 4 for him.    If we are actually able to sneak into the playoffs, who do people think is going to be the starter then?  Do you think we'll continue to see the back and forth time splitting stuff that we have seen pretty much all season?    I see that people are furious already, and even though I'm not in that group at the moment, I would in fact be beyond pissed if they continued in the post-season because I do not believe in that in the playoffs when there's pretty much a game every other day and it matters the most.   If we sneak in, personally I think Brodeur gets most of the starts initially because he's the proven guy with experience and it could be his last shot at it.  I think he's on a short leash though and if he chokes or has trouble in 1 or 2 games at most then I think Cory gets the nod from there on and that is effectively the end of Brodeur.    That's how I'd do it, anyway. 

Oh, and speaking of our lineup...I am not in favor of Gelinas as a forward.  He just needs further development at DEFENSE.  No need to remove his offensive talents from the blueline and take up a forward spot.  Do no like that move at all, even if it's not "permanent" as DeBoer has said.

Edited by NJDfan1711, 27 March 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#1432 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Just saw this- Marty in net tomorrow per mike brown on njdevs.com.

He's usually pretty reliable but a little slow.

#1433 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

I remember when he had stated that he had asked Lou for a trade in a pre-game interview...actually made me feel a little sick.  Really bummed me out at the time.  Kind of sucked that he never gave his new role a chance.  That's part of what made Stevens so special...the guy has an awesome offensive season in '93-'94, and the Devils ask him to become more of a defensive guy.  He did it without complaint. 

Stevens was still getting a bilion minutes a game, or at least I'd assume.  MacLean wasn't, IIRC, and he was up for a new contract - it's hard to blame him.  Somehow he played almost 22 minutes a game for the Rangers the next season.

#1434 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Stevens was still getting a bilion minutes a game, or at least I'd assume.  MacLean wasn't, IIRC, and he was up for a new contract - it's hard to blame him.  Somehow he played almost 22 minutes a game for the Rangers the next season.

That 22 mins per game was out of necessity...that Ranger team had a hell of a time putting the puck in the net.  MacLean was actually second in goals on that team, with 28.  There were some young players on that team went on to do a lot more with other teams (Savard, Knuble and Malhotra), and some others that had already had their better days elsewhere (Kevin Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson). 

In MacLean's defense, he was only 33 when he decided he didn't like his new role...if he was 35-36, maybe he wouldn't have fought it.  I never held it against him, but I think it's too bad only from the standpoint that I would've loved it if he enjoyed more years here in his new role.  Outside of that 28-goal season on a bad team, it's not like he enjoyed a lot of prolific scoring seasons after he left.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1435 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,884 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

http://www.nj.com/de..._moving_on.html

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1436 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

The important thing here is that Gelly gets to play, Yayo gets to play as well.  I really really hope that Josefson can solidify a spot as our 3rd line or 4th line center for a while.  Give him some ice time, he could really take on the role.  You know, that checking center who can score some goals.  On a positive note, that young D-man, can't seem to remember his name.....Oh Larsson! That's his name.  He's scoring a decent amount in the A and gaining a lot of confidence it seems.  We can hope that this improvement carries over into the NHL when we see him again.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#1437 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

would like to see what gelinas looks like up front.. although i think pete already said thats not going to happen..atleast i think i read that somewhere
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1438 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

I am quoting DR33 three times to highlight just how over the top and unilateral this Brodeur hate is getting:

I've never been more upset to be right about anything...well ever. When you look back at some of the games that Brodeur cost the Devils all season, the 3-2 loss to the Yotes comes right to mind. Marty let in 3 atrocious goals in that one.

Maybe Marty asked for this one too...

In the past month I have written a post or two complimenting your status on the boards and your credibility around here. This imho, is not a welcome tactic.

Brodeur being rusty wasn't an issue when Cory played how many games in a row after the outdoor classic. 

They needed to play Brodeur before the Outdoor game , so he wouldn't be rusty for the outdoor game. That worked well. Now they need the one of the worst goalies statistically not to be rusty for...for...for...The fvcking playoffs are on the line. Go with the better goalie and not worry about anyone else.

Again, for me this goes back to the chat Lou and Marty had after the break. Marty was down and out, but came back after the deadline really happy with his role. A role that I imagine was told would change. He wanted to be part of the push for the playoffs, and I think he was guaranteed he would. No reason to start him tomorrow otherwise. If Cory posted a shootout, you "risk" losing Marty again like Pete did after the Rangers debacle. This was probably promised to Brodeur that it would not happen again. 

"imagine" is a great word to use here. You are letting your imagination get the better of you.

Sadly, the only fool Marty has been fooling is the GM of the New Jersey Devils. The rest of the league is not going to be interested. When I say the rest of the league, I mean the 3-4 teams that Brodeur has on his "want to sign with" list, which right now probably reads..."whomever the Eastern and Western Conference Finals' representatives will be" 

i must admit - these jabs at marty are great and i agree that he's more harm than good these days, but you'd think it's now a question whether DM will put his jersey on the header of the page when it's retired...

QFT.

I always post first then read the thread.

:doh1:

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#1439 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,884 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud: Mar 26
#NJDevils fans may have conflicting feelings at these news. Ilya Kovalchuk is definitely the worst bang for the buck in hockey today. By far

#1440 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,884 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

@TGfireandice: Schneider will start vs. Isles Saturday. Salvador seeing doctor today, won't play Saturday.

Glorious news on both fronts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users