1548 replies to this topic

#161 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

As for breaking up Larsson and Gelinas, I'm in favor - it's time to take the kid gloves off on Larsson, he's playing too well to be relegated to that role.

Why do you see that as taking off the kid gloves?  If anything, pairing Larsson with a rookie would be an indication that De Boer trusts Larsson more to carry his own weight. 

If it's at the cost of a few extra shifts, I don't mind.  As Gelinas gets better, the two should get more icetime.   And by next year, there's going to be no choice but to give Larsson 20+ minutes per game. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#162 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Why do you see that as taking off the kid gloves?  If anything, pairing Larsson with a rookie would be an indication that De Boer trusts Larsson more to carry his own weight. 

If it's at the cost of a few extra shifts, I don't mind.  As Gelinas gets better, the two should get more icetime.   And by next year, there's going to be no choice but to give Larsson 20+ minutes per game. 

Gelinas will get lots of o-zone starts and if you pair him with Larsson that'll give Larsson 'soft minutes'. Gelinas should get those zone starts because of his shot but Larsson is playing very well and some might see him used better in a role with tougher minutes/more d-zone starts. 

I personally think they should let things be as they've been. Team is winning more often than not and Larsson is starting to look real good. No need to change things just yet.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#163 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

Saw something yesterday about how the devils are 1-5-2 with sal and 6-3-2 without him

#164 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Saw something yesterday about how the devils are 1-5-2 with sal and 6-3-2 without him

but sal hasnt even been that bad this season..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#165 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

in fairness he was playing during the early part of the season when the whole team was a mess.....lets see what happens when he's back in the lineup

#166 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

in fairness he was playing during the early part of the season when the whole team was a mess.....lets see what happens when he's back in the lineup

He can take his time, as far as I'm concerned. Sitting anyone except harrold for Sal would be foolish imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#167 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

but sal hasnt even been that bad this season..

Yeah. One of Sal or Volchenkov in the lineup is probably a good thing, but not both. It's not Sal's fault they couldn't score or get a save for some of those games.

#168 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Janssen joins Gionta in the unscratchable group.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#169 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Especially since the recent winning has (gasp) mostly coincided with Cam coming up.

They're also 6-1-1 with Janssen lol

Edited by NJDevs4978, 23 November 2013 - 05:43 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#170 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Volchenkov has actually been pretty good, and Salvador is still a good shutdown guy.  They're both really helpful on the pk.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#171 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'd swap Harrold for Sal in a heartbeat.

But i think with how the Larsson and Gelinas pairing is going, we have a serious D logjam, which is what has been happening for the last year, and even more so with our prospects gaining experience.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#172 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

I hate how Pete thinks having a dman on his off side is so taboo.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice advantage if you can do it, but it's also not a necessity.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#173 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Janssen joins Gionta in the unscratchable group.

How sad is that?

#174 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

How sad is that?

I absolutely hate the idea of playing anyone that you are scared to use in the 3rd or only want to play 4 minutes.

Jacob Josefson is scratched for many games for Cam, but the coach has no issue playing him 10-15min, but his replacement can only play 4?

Edited by devilsrule33, 24 November 2013 - 10:30 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#175 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

If Gionta is gonna miss significant time, Josefson has to be the guy to replace him.  I do believe the Janssen honeymoon has run out.  Time for Tedenby.  I do wonder though if Janssen ignited this team.  I think we went 6-2-1 with him in the lineup.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#176 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

If Gionta is gonna miss significant time, Josefson has to be the guy to replace him.  I do believe the Janssen honeymoon has run out.  Time for Tedenby.  I do wonder though if Janssen ignited this team.  I think we went 6-2-1 with him in the lineup.

If there was some tangible evidence (oh wait there isn't) to this he should be traded. Sell high.

#177 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

While I think Deboer runs a pretty progressive system, it's clear he believes there is a place in the league for goons (which there isnt).  He believes Janssen adds something on the ice and will keep him in over the likes of Josefson and Tedenby.  I don't think the latter has a positive impact, but at least he is capable of playing 10 minutes a night, something Janssen is not.  When Gionta went down, the Devils were shuffling 10 forwards for half of the game.  That is not acceptable against strong teams, on the road and when you are fatigued. Deboer needs to get Janssen out of there ASAP. It's becoming a bit of a joke

#178 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Like I have been saying we need to give joe Whitney a shot. He's got 20 points in 19 games with Albany. We are starving for offense in the worst way, he can't be worse than Cam or Tedenby so with Gionta hurt - why not try it? We have a roster spot. Just give the guy a shot.

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr
Whitney-Elias-Ryder
Brunner-Loktionov-Henrique
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

#179 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Like I have been saying we need to give joe Whitney a shot. He's got 20 points in 19 games with Albany. We are starving for offense in the worst way, he can't be worse than Cam or Tedenby so with Gionta hurt - why not try it? We have a roster spot. Just give the guy a shot.
Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr
Whitney-Elias-Ryder
Brunner-Loktionov-Henrique
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

I don't like Henrique at wing.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#180 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Somewhat off topic, but it is related to the roster:

When is one of our younger players going to break out offensively? It's getting so frustrating that the team is relying on almost strictly its veterans and its defense to generate offense. It's amazing that we're nearly 25 games into the season, and Jaromir Jagr seems like the only forward who is consistently putting up points (Elias too, but he is obviously recovering from an injury).

Our team has a bunch of players who have shown offensive talent in Brunner, Loktionov, Henrique, Josefson, and Tedenby, but not a single one of them has shown up much this season. The best of the bunch is Henrique with 8 points over 23 games.

You could make the argument that PDB has given the best minutes to the veterans (top 2 lines are mostly older players), but other teams have had their third lines produce. I really wonder what's going on with these guys and whether it's the system that's holding them back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users