402 replies to this topic

#341 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I think, that given we're playing away games against every NHL team this season, that this is Marty's farewell tour and that's why he's getting the road starts. I don't believe his play will factor into him NOT getting those starts unless he starts giving up 4 goals per period consistently. This isn't a rebuilding year, it's the last year before the rebuilding (again, IMHO). I know it's early in the season, but my feeling is it is early in a season that will feel terribly long, but will end sooner than 16 other teams'.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#342 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I think, that given we're playing away games against every NHL team this season, that this is Marty's farewell tour and that's why he's getting the road starts. I don't believe his play will factor into him NOT getting those starts unless he starts giving up 4 goals per period consistently. This isn't a rebuilding year, it's the last year before the rebuilding (again, IMHO). I know it's early in the season, but my feeling is it is early in a season that will feel terribly long, but will end sooner than 16 other teams'.

I can't buy this...no way the Devils can basically say "screw 2013-14" so that Marty gets to go on some victory tour (where his play could be severely diminished thoughout)...especially this early, when the season can still very clearly be salvaged (though it WILL take some time to dig out of this hole).  I don't think the guys the Devils signed want to be part of some Martin Brodeur Farewell Tour. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 18 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#343 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

I can't buy this...no way the Devils can basically say "screw 2013-14" so that Marty gets to go on some victory tour (where his play could be severely diminished thoughout)...especially this early, when the season can still very clearly be salvaged (though it WILL take some time to dig out of this hole).  I don't think the guys the Devils signed want to be part of some Martin Brodeur Farewell Tour. 

Me neither... Nobody said : «you know what ill be part of marty farewells tour the sh!ttiest team who ever plays the game...»

#344 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but yeah, this one was on Marty. This game may have been a blessing in disguise. I think it's clear as day that Schneider should be our #1 goalie and it may have taken a game like this for DeBoer to know it himself 100%.

We'll see how he reacts. Big one tomorrow. The biggest one.

#345 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Unlikely that it is under any scenario, the only way Marty goes out with another Cup is if he rides the bench.  End of story.

#346 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

mariano had a farewell tour, he came out and said, this is it guys im done.   its what marty should have done, but its not what he's doing.

#347 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I remember in 05-06 we went into almost a trap mode in games so we could get back into it. I'm not saying PDB should play more conservative, but he should review his system and tweak it a bit at least until we can rack up a few wins.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#348 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I remember in 05-06 we went into almost a trap mode in games so we could get back into it. I'm not saying PDB should play more conservative, but he should review his system and tweak it a bit at least until we can rack up a few wins.

He is incapable. He has had opportunities to do so and failed. He's a bad coach, bad talent evaluator, and bad decision maker. Fire him already.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#349 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Devils played well last night and probably deserved better, but Marty kind of ruined any chance of a comeback we had. Can't really get on Marty because this sort of play is unfortunately expected.  Thing is, we only scored twice and that isnt enough to get you the win most of the time. I thought Jagr and Elias played really well and CBGB finally had a good game.  Larsson was pretty solid and made some nice plays. I know people will only see the -1 but he played well in both zones. 

I gotta say, Salvador has been solid this year and if he keeps it up, I would have no qualms about him coming back and finishing his contract next year.  Volchenkov on the other hand is done. I'm sorry, but he is terrible.  Hell, he doesnt even throw many big hits anymore. 

On a more personal note, I'm becoming numb to losing.  I'm not really bothered by losing anymore because it's become second nature dating back the last 50 games. I used to go ape**** when the Devils would lose a March game and would be first in the division. My expectations have clearly dropped and that's not how it should be here in NJ. Oh well, plenty of time to right the ship I suppose.....on to the Rags

Edited by SMantzas, 18 October 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#350 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Can't think of a better way to get the first win of the season than against the Rags, especially with yours truly in attendance.  That being said, that place is going to get UGLY if the Devils don't play well.  Our fans are finicky, I'm expecting boobirds from the get-go.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#351 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

My expectations have clearly dropped and that's not how it should be here in NJ.

Happens to all teams eventually.  Devils missed the playoffs once from '89-'90 to '09-'10...we had it good for a long long time. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#352 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Happens to all teams eventually.  Devils missed the playoffs once from '89-'90 to '09-'10...we had it good for a long long time. 

Exactly. Before the Red Wings became a powerhouse in the 90's they had a really extended period of absolute suckage.

#353 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

For sure. I became a die hard in 99 so I've known nothing but success.  I don't mind having some lean years if that's what it takes to get back to the playoffs consistently.  When you don't have much success drafting/trading away draft picks, you're success is unsustainable. Makes what Detroit has going on even more special. 

I will say this- the Devils drafting has gotten A LOT better in the recent years

Larsson

Henrique

Boucher

Merrill

Severson

Gelinas

Matteau

Josefson

Santini

#354 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Devils played well last night and probably deserved better, but Marty kind of ruined any chance of a comeback we had. Can't really get on Marty because this sort of play is unfortunately expected.  Thing is, we only scored twice and that isnt enough to get you the win most of the time.

We can't really say that. If Marty doesn't let in that stupid 4th goal at the absolute worst time, it was a 3 in 4 chance that the Devils were going to get the equalizer. The way they were playing, the way Ottawa started to get tired. My gripe really isn't on the offense this game at all. The pressure Marty puts on the offense early on in the first 10 minutes to even a 2-0 score and then a 3rd and then that 4th after an epic almost-comeback. That sh!t'll sap a forward's lifeblood. No different than what Schneider must have felt during the Winnipeg game.

Edited by DJ Eco, 18 October 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#355 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

...............  I don't think the guys the Devils signed want to be part of some Martin Brodeur Farewell Tour. 

They would have had to have been extremely blinded by their contracts to NOT know the big farewell tour was coming! this isn't generic goalie we're talking about here.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#356 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

I completely agree that brodeur has become incapable. My argument the last couple of years was that his style allowed a lot of soft looking goals, but he made a lot of easy saves in situations where other goalies would be sprawled out on their stomachs. But this season, and especially last night, i cant even make excuses for him anymore. I personally want to see him play as much as possible, because we never will see this stand up style again. But if hes going to be this bad, just get his jersey in the rafters, Jesus.

I want Lemaire. I want the trap. This is a perfect trap team.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#357 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I've never hoped so badly for a shutout vs the Rags. If Schneider puts up a dominating performance tomorrow, I hope the coaching staff sees the writing on the wall.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#358 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,447 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

He is incapable. He has had opportunities to do so and failed. He's a bad coach, bad talent evaluator, and bad decision maker. Fire him already.

Just keep thinking it's the coach that's the problem.  NJ's been a break-even team shots-wise and they haven't gotten any big saves except from Schneider.

They would have had to have been extremely blinded by their contracts to NOT know the big farewell tour was coming! this isn't generic goalie we're talking about here.

You don't get a farewell tour in pro sports unless you are good.  No one wants to see a legend be awful.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#359 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Can't think of a better way to get the first win of the season than against the Rags, especially with yours truly in attendance. That being said, that place is going to get UGLY if the Devils don't play well. Our fans are finicky, I'm expecting boobirds from the get-go.

They may wanna hire extra security for this one... It may get ugly in the stands.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#360 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Deboes system when working should limit opponents opportunities and that was the case last night. Unfortunately Marty couldn't make the easy saves.

Whatever we did in the 2nd and 3rd last night we need to repeat every game for a full 60 mins with at least average goaltending and wins will come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users