402 replies to this topic

#101 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm still kinda of the opinion that Marty should've retired after the cup run..but of course, then the Devils don't probably get Schneider so...

But I think that playoff run was the last 'great-ish' goaltending we'll ever see from Marty.  Sad, but father time doesn't wait for anyone..

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#102 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

He's still playing either way.   Trying to stretch Schnieder to 60 games will probably just get him hurt or burn him out, especially with this wonderful schedule.   But you gotta be better than he was on the second goal.   Getting beat is bad, but not being ready for a shot is worse.

#103 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

How often does it end pretty for the legends?  Sadly, not often at all.  Regardless of how this season turns out for Marty, I really hope he calls it a career.  I feel like I'm holding my breath every time a puck comes his way.  I hate feeling that way about him.

Stevens and Neids went out when they knew it was time....before looking foolish

#104 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

So did Patrick Roy.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#105 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Problem is Marty can't adjust well to not playing every game...but he isn't good enough to merit playing every game anymore, especially with Schnieder around.

Stevens didn't have much of a choice.  Nieds I agree but I don't think he wanted to hang around on a fringe team either, he'd already accomplished everything he could in hockey.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#106 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'm still kinda of the opinion that Marty should've retired after the cup run..but of course, then the Devils don't probably get Schneider so...

But I think that playoff run was the last 'great-ish' goaltending we'll ever see from Marty.  Sad, but father time doesn't wait for anyone..

I've ben saying this for a while.  For about 50 games (after a rough start), he put up about a .920 save%, right through the end of those playoffs.  I think that was the best of what he had left.

If the Devils insist on treating him like the Marty of old and think he's got anywhere near another run like that in him, it's going to be a huge mistake.  No nice way to say it.  And with Schneider on the team, there's no reason to try to make it happen, as the expense of a team with damned near zero margin for error right now.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#107 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Problem is Marty can't adjust well to not playing every game...but he isn't good enough to merit playing every game anymore, especially with Schnieder around.

Stevens didn't have much of a choice.  Nieds I agree but I don't think he wanted to hang around on a fringe team either, he'd already accomplished everything he could in hockey.

And Niedermayer hung on too long too.   It wasn't pretty defensively when he went down to slightly above average speed

#108 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Marty is a double edged sword. He's got the most wins of any goaltender, but he's also got the most losses of any goaltender.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#109 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Andy Greene really has no eye hand coordination lol

Put food on my family

#110 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Marty is a double edged sword. He's got the most wins of any goaltender, but he's also got the most losses of any goaltender.

C'mon, he's also played the most games.  It's not he's a .500ish compiler.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#111 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

What a flop.

Put food on my family

#112 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

C'mon, he's also played the most games.  It's not he's a .500ish compiler.

I'm just pointing out the good and the bad. I don't know what I'm trying to say. I mean Reggie Jackson hit a bunch of home runs, but he also had a ton of strikeouts. I'm starting to sound like PK.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#113 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Somebody cursed this team.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#114 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,950 posts

What watching the Devils is like right now:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#115 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

How long till I get an email offering free tickets?

#116 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm just pointing out the good and the bad. I don't know what I'm trying to say. I mean Reggie Jackson hit a bunch of home runs, but he also had a ton of strikeouts. I'm starting to sound like PK.

He's got a career .620 point percentage.    That has to be one of the higher ones in modern hockey history, it averages 102 points a season on a single goalie

Edited by maxpower, 17 October 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#117 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Didn't know MSG televised Disney on ice.....

#118 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

The Devils owned the play the final 7 minutes or so of the period.  If Marty stops those two bad goals, it's still 0-0.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#119 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

The Devils owned the play the final 7 minutes or so of the period.  If Marty stops those two bad goals, it's still 0-0.

They were on the PP the entire time, I would hope so.   At some point you just have to realize they may be bad.    They've gotten 1 point with Schneider in net and he's clearly been better

#120 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Worst part is my cat. He is the ultimate jinx. Whenever he comes into the living room the devils would lose. I think he's a rangers fan.. The sad part is since the devils played he hasn't shown up. He can't even jinx them. So I did the a$$hole move. I dragged him in to watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users