One Day at a Time

#22 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,872 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Anybody watching this? What a comedy of errors. At least Randle got me a TD. That fumble hurt. I'm really in a close battle with Sambone. He has Nicks. Great special teams. :lol:

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#23 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

That's how you can tell the game has really changed...so many games where a team gives around 30 points, and people are saying what a good job the defense did.  Even yesterday...Jets DID do a good job on the Pats, and the Pats still put up 20 points on offense.  Seems so hard to hold teams to less than 20 these days.

Yeah, it's like teams can score at will these days, especially at the end of games.

Remember when it used to be a big deal whenever a QB led a late game-winning or -tying drive? These days, it happens all the time, it seems. And fast. Give Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers the ball with a minute or so left, and I almost expect them to score. Give them the ball with two and a half minutes left, and you might start to worry about them scoring too quickly.

Look back at "The Drive" -- John Elway's Broncos legendary march down the field versus the Browns in the 1986 AFC Championship Game -- it's hard to believe, but that series took over five minutes.

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, it's like teams can score at will these days, especially at the end of games.

Remember when it used to be a big deal whenever a QB led a late game-winning or -tying drive? These days, it happens all the time, it seems. And fast. Give Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers the ball with a minute or so left, and I almost expect them to score. Give them the ball with two and a half minutes left, and you might start to worry about them scoring too quickly.

Look back at "The Drive" -- John Elway's Broncos legendary march down the field versus the Browns in the 1986 AFC Championship Game -- it's hard to believe, but that series took over five minutes.

Yeah, even with a minute left and no timeouts for the opposition, you're worried if you're the team with the 6-point lead, no question...some days it seems like ANY time left on the clock is too much time.  Drives to win or tie games do seem almost routine now.  As great as the Jets played on D against the Pats, the Pats were one one-handed Gronkowski catch away from completing a 92-yard drive to win the game.    

We've talked about the imbalance in today's NFL in several threads...it's just so glaring.  The one change I would make would be to allow receivers to be bumped within 10 yards rather than 5.  Considering that it seems like damned near EVERY rule change seems to benefit the offense, it'd be nice to see one go the other way.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 22 October 2013 - 11:55 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,920 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

You know what tiny change I'd love to see.....after EVERY play when a pass isn't caught...the receiver turns and whines for a flag....I'd love to see it where player bitching and complaining for a call, got the flag PICKED UP.....its starting to turn into soccer out there, QBs diving, WRs crying about contact....

not to mention the joke this league is about "player safety" when they still allow cut blocks.....don't give me this garbage about it's the only way a lil guy can take down a big guy, it's fraking DANGEROUS, just ask Brian Cushing who's out AGAIN for the year on a block that should be illegal....make the offensive player have to earn blocks just like the defensive player has to deal with five billion rules about playing defense...level the damn field a little!

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#26 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,321 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

The NFL is now what the NHL was from the late 70's through 1994 or so.

Up until the mid 2000's I guess scoring and offense numbers were pretty normal. But now it's gotten to the point where even 4800 yard passing seasons are ho hum. 50 td passes? meh. Drives are kept alive by penalty's on legal hits and good football plays. PI is called way too tight. The offensive lines get away with everything, but if a defensive player gets a fingernail on a QB it's 15 yards and the drive continues.

What the NFL doesn't realize is that allowing defenders to bump, hold, and obstruct the receivers a bit more will do is minimize these catastrophic midfield collisions. Of course these guys are getting plastered every week by the Ryan Clark's and Meriwethers of the world, they're allowed to take off from the line like sprinters and nobody is allowed to put a finger on them.

Now I hate clutch and grab, hook and hold hockey...but in football allowing a bit more of this stuff will keep guys safe. Passing numbers will diminish, but so will lawsuits.

Also look at the equipment they wear. This is a wide receiver in 1991 3274-77Fr.jpg this is a wide receiver todayaj-green-cincinnati-bengals.jpg pop warner shoulder pads. Nothing to protect his chest, elbows, upper arms. Many receivers even go without thigh pads

Shoulder pads are a joke. Of course when you hit somebody shoulder to shoulder your helmets are going to crash into each other as well. Bigger shoulder pads...the helmets won't be cracking into each other

Edited by '7', 22 October 2013 - 01:23 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

'7', the first big rule change came in 1978.  In 1977, team scoring was down to an average of 17.2 points per game.  Look at the QB numbers from back then...finishing a season with more TD passes than picks was a big deal.

The big rule change was the 5-yard contact rule.  Prior to 1977 d-backs could bump receivers all over the field.  Almost makes you wonder how anyone ever got open.  But offensive numbers and QB ratings went up nicely after the change. 

I'd say from that time (I'm guessing the product was probably getting to be hard to watch by the time the contact rule was implemented) up until about the early 2000s, it seemed like the balance was pretty fair.  But all one has to do is look at Tom Brady's TD-to-INT numbers prior to 2007 to realize that it's gotten way out of whack:

pre 2007:  147 TD, 78 INT (anything approaching 2-to-1 used to considered great)

2007-on:  195 TD, 50 INT (almost 4-to-1, which even for a SEASON was considered awesome, let alone over several seasons)

Yes, Brady is an all-time great.  But did he really get THAT much better in the space of one offseason?

We're basically on the same page...let the d-backs slow guys down a little bit.  I get that the game we all loved clearly led to a lot of guys becoming vegetables later in life, and I'm all for player safety...but like you point out, guys are free to fly down the field full-steam like never before.  A lot more high-speed collisions now.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users