481 replies to this topic

#301 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I hope you are not serious with this statement.

I wish I had guaranteed annual salary increases, premium health benefits (with little to no contributions towards it), full pension, large amount of sick/vacation days that can be rolled over and banked as well as tenure.  I do agree in the grand scheme of things that teachers, cops, firement, etc should be paid more for what they do, but they are not exactly licking the curb poor either.  If the money was as bad as a lot of these public employees make it out to be, then there would always be severe shortages of these jobs but there isn't.

Also teacher's unions are just as strong as any public employee union there is, so not sure why you singled out the cops and firemen's union.

Because I've seen a teacher's salary after taxes and benefits are taken out. I'd love to see the throngs of FT police officers being paid $30-40k. Unfortunately, that is the case in some of the sh!tty areas of the state, but everywhere else, they're paid double that and the riskiest part of their job is avoiding traffic accidents, don't even need a college degree, which you would need to be a teacher....

I'd also be willing to bet the cop in the town next to mine who plowed into a Toyota Corolla with a 10 year old sitting in the passenger seat and then some poor guy's fence trying to pull over someone with an expired tag didn't get a ticket...bet he got some paid time off instead.... If I jammed on the gas hard enough to throw the back end out going 5 mph and hit a car in the opposite lane of traffic, I'd get a reckless driving ticket... I'm not a cop though.

#302 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Because I've seen a teacher's salary after taxes and benefits are taken out. I'd love to see the throngs of FT police officers being paid $30-40k. Unfortunately, that is the case in some of the sh!tty areas of the state, but everywhere else, they're paid double that and the riskiest part of their job is avoiding traffic accidents, don't even need a college degree, which you would need to be a teacher....

Not true. You need a bachelor's degree minimum. Any other kind of education such as communications degrees and criminal justice degrees are helpful but not mandatory. A lot of cops actually go back to school for the other two while on the job.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 14 January 2014 - 05:44 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#303 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Not true. You need a bachelor's degree minimum. Any other kind of education such as communications degrees and criminal justice degrees are helpful but not mandatory. A lot of cops actually go back to school for the other two while on the job.

Straight from the NJSP website:

"A candidate must have: (1) a bachelor's degree; OR (2) possess a minimum of 90 credits and will complete their degree by a specified date prior to the written examination. The deadline for completing a bachelor's degree under option 2 and remaining eligible will be announced at the time of initial application. (3) OR a candidate must have an associate's degree or 60 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of satisfactory employment or military experience; OR (4) 30 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of active duty military service with an honorable discharge. All college degrees/credits must be from an accredited college or university."

Totally don't need a degree.

From the NJ State Association of Chiefs of Police:

"Qualifications for Becoming a Law Enforcement Officer

New Jersey law sets the basic requirements for becoming a law enforcement officer. However, potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact agencies directly to enquire as to any specific requirements for employment.

In general, no person may be appointed to a police department unless he or she:

• is a citizen of the United States

• is sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the board of trustees of the police and firemen's retirement system of New Jersey as to his eligibility for membership in the retirement system

• is able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently

• is of good moral character, and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude

• shall not be less than 21 or over 35 years of age [Civil Service rules have some exemptions and alternate provisions in this regard]"

Edited by ATLL765, 14 January 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#304 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Straight from the NJSP website:

"A candidate must have: (1) a bachelor's degree; OR (2) possess a minimum of 90 credits and will complete their degree by a specified date prior to the written examination. The deadline for completing a bachelor's degree under option 2 and remaining eligible will be announced at the time of initial application. (3) OR a candidate must have an associate's degree or 60 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of satisfactory employment or military experience; OR (4) 30 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of active duty military service with an honorable discharge. All college degrees/credits must be from an accredited college or university."

Totally don't need a degree.

You're focusing on #4 only and making it looks like it applies to the whole. There's more cops that fall into 1-3 then 4, even though it's a dirty little secret how most depts. prefer military training and they do discriminate.

#305 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

You're focusing on #4 only and making it looks like it applies to the whole. There's more cops that fall into 1-3 then 4, even though it's a dirty little secret how most depts. prefer military training and they do discriminate.

Let me quote your last post here:

"You need a bachelor's degree minimum".

Then I proved you wrong. Or were you being sarcastic?

Edited by ATLL765, 14 January 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#306 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Let me quote your last post here:

"You need a bachelor's degree minimum".

Then I proved you wrong. Or were you being sarcastic?

A minimum education requirement is a bachelors degree for 1-3. If you have a criminal and communications, that's even better. There are more cops that are hired 1-3 then 4. You've got a pretty big problem with cops so you're selectively choosing. You focused in on #4 and ignored 1-3. I see what you're doing though, you're trying to poke a hole in what i said using a 4th requirement which is made up of a quota anyway (which they will never admit to)

If you don't have a degree then your military training trumps as 30 college credits in the military is probably an E-4 grade anyway. All things being relative the "military" degree they view the same as a college degree. 

Oh, and get off the "sarcastic" comeback each time we answer each other, it was old the first time and the 345 times you've bought it up, which is usually soon after the second(or third) exchange we have. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 14 January 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#307 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

A minimum education requirement is a bachelors degree for 1-3. If you have a criminal and communications, that's even better. There are more cops that are hired 1-3 then 4. You've got a pretty big problem with cops so you're selectively choosing. You focused in on #4 and ignored 1-3. I see what you're doing though, you're trying to poke a hole in what i said using a 4th requirement which is made up of a quota anyway (which they will never admit to)

If you don't have a degree then your military training trumps as 30 college credits in the military is probably an E-4 grade anyway. All things being relative the "military" degree they view the same as a college degree. 

Oh, and get off the "sarcastic" comeback each time we answer each other, it was old the first time and the 345 times you've bought it up, which is usually soon after the second(or third) exchange we have. 

You said the degree was a minimum, but it's not. So what is your point again?

#308 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

You said the degree was a minimum, but it's not. So what is your point again?

Now, you're just being a wise ass little sh!t above nothing else.

#309 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Only 1 and 2 require bachelor's degrees.  The third option only requires an associate's degree or 60 credits, which is only about half of a bachelor's degree, and it doesn't require military experience either as long as you have two years of "satisfactory employment."  Also since you were talking about the MINIMUM education requirement, it doesn't make sense for you to say that 1-3 (really it is just 1 and 2) require a bachelor's degree, because 3 and 4 establish that the minimum requirement is lower than a bachelor's degree.  ATLL is obviously correct here that you don't need a bachelor's degree to be a police officer.

Also I don't know if municipal police and corrections officers have different requirements than what was posted above or something, but I know plenty of police officers who not only don't have an associate's degree, but they don't even have any college credits at all, and they have no military experience either.

Edited by devilsfan26, 14 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#310 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Only 1 and 2 require bachelor's degrees.  The third option only requires an associate's degree or 60 credits, which is only about half of a bachelor's degree, and it doesn't require military experience either as long as you have two years of "satisfactory employment."  Also since you were talking about the MINIMUM education requirement, it doesn't make sense for you to say that 1-3 (really it is just 1 and 2) require a bachelor's degree, because 3 and 4 establish that the minimum requirement is lower than a bachelor's degree.

Also I don't know if municipal police are different or something, but I know plenty of police officers who have a total of zero college credits and zero military experience.

I have relatives in two police depts in central NJ. We've had this discussion plenty and they agree and know first hand that without a bachelors, you aren't going to be a cop it doesn't matter what the guidelines are 1-4 (with 4 being the quota hire). I'm going to take their words over all else. It's no different then any other job that discriminates, but says they don't. 

Knowing some of you around here, i probably should have phrased it along the lines of that instead. My pal above is painting with a wide brush because he has a personal problem with the police. I take exception to that because it simply isn't true.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 14 January 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#311 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

My neighbors are cops without any degree. My neighbor behind me is a corrections officer without a degree. You DONT have to have a degree. It sure as hell helps but it isn't s requirement

#312 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

I have relatives in two police depts in central NJ. We've had this discussion plenty and they agree and know first hand that without a bachelors, you aren't going to be a cop it doesn't matter what the guidelines are 1-4 (with 4 being the quota hire). I'm going to take their words over all else. It's no different then any other job that discriminates, but says they don't. 

Knowing some of you around here, i probably should have phrased it along the lines of that instead. My pal above is painting with a wide brush because he has a personal problem with the police. I take exception to that because it simply isn't true.

I posted a quote from the state police website and another law enforcement site. It's black and white. It's NOT a requirement.

#313 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

wow.. this doesnt sound like attendance talk.. but since everyone thinks they know everything ill tell you exactly how it is .. i do not have a college degree and i start the academy in 20 days.. you in fact do not need a college degree to get a job as a police officer.. and no i dont have any military background either.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#314 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Time for law enforcement debate thread

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#315 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

I posted a quote from the state police website and another law enforcement site. It's black and white. It's NOT a requirement.

And i just shared input from two family members, one happens to be a chief. I bet you also believe in equal opportunity hiring, fair hiring practices and no such thing as a quota. What makes you think just because it's law enforcement, it's any different? 

You can qualify under 1-4, go through the academy, take the written and it still doesn't mean you'll be a police offer. They're going to take the most educated candidates first. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 14 January 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#316 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

wow.. this doesnt sound like attendance talk.. but since everyone thinks they know everything ill tell you exactly how it is .. i do not have a college degree and i start the academy in 20 days.. you in fact do not need a college degree to get a job as a police officer.. and no i dont have any military background either.

I just lost all respect for law enforcement then.

#317 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

i also have family members who are cops as well and they do not know everything when it comes to requirements either.. as i said already i dont have a degree and i start in the academy next month.. to be a basic patrol officer it is not needed, you can have a combination of just 60 college credits, 30 college credits and 1yr full time work experience, or 2 years of full time work experience. However certain positions when you are eligible for promotions do require some type of a degree
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#318 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

And i just shared input from two family members, one happens to be a chief. I bet you also believe in equal opportunity hiring, fair hiring practices and no such thing as a quota. What makes you think just because it's law enforcement, it's any different? 

You can qualify under 1-4, go through the academy, take the written and it still doesn't mean you'll be a police offer. They're going to take the most educated candidates first. 

Holy sh!t. Get over it. That's not a requirement, it's a preference. You seriously need to take an English class.

#319 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

I just lost all respect for law enforcement then.

probably because you constantly think you are correct when i just proved you wrong.. im going through the process of it currently.. so i hate to tell you sir.. (i mean i guess i can call you sir you argue and act like a man..probably look like one also) that you in fact are not correct, once again.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#320 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Holy sh!t. Get over it. That's not a requirement, it's a preference. You seriously need to take an English class.

Look who's talking you snotty little brat. You're the one who carried it on this far. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 14 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users