#61 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

His source is....he works there.

But from which of his coworkers did he hear this?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#62 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Because at least 5000 people "didn't feel like going" to the second home game of the season on a Saturday evening.

To be fair, a lot of those 5000 seats are from Ticketmaster sales, it's not like the Devils have 17,625 sth's or anywhere close to that number.  But yeah the great majority of tickets sold on the secondary market were obviously to flip for a profit, and probably a majority of those were bought by Ranger fans since they're still cheaper than their own tickets at the Garden.  

There's no way you're not clearing out most plans for a Saturday night home game against the Rangers if you want to go, I agree that rationale is silly.  The schedule was made months in advance, come on now.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 October 2013 - 09:10 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#63 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

There was early on and towards the end, but especially at the beginning of the 3rd when you felt like the Devils probably had it in the bag and no one was scoring it got dead silent

I was mainly referencing how dead it sounded. Not your typical Battle Of Hudson. I guess the enthusiasm from both sides is down.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#64 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

But from which of his coworkers did he hear this?

They did it right before preseason. The first game I was working in the fire lounge next to Chico and Steve. I noticed the floor was sticky. I looked down and saw the off coloring between the old floor and where you can obviously see a carpet used to be. Then I noticed the extra row of seats. Even the leathering of the seats is a little different than what is already there. The drink bar behind the seats was moved back and you can still see the old screw holes in the new row. You can even see it from the sides of the lounges where they scan and stamp your tickets. The seats start at #2 though. 2-19 I think. Or 2-17? Which would only make 64 extra seats then.

And apparently the seats already caused problems in the lounges because the tickets for the new row #24 weren't scanning in.

funny note: After the game as I was checking all the seats for personal belongings, every napkin I stepped on would stick to the bottom of my foot from the glue residue that was left over from where the carpet was cut. It was very annoying.

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18, 22 October 2013 - 07:20 AM.

Devils.

#65 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

To be fair, a lot of those 5000 seats are from Ticketmaster sales, it's not like the Devils have 17,625 sth's or anywhere close to that number. 

I think one of two things happened. During the preseason, even before tickets went on general sale via Ticketmaster, I went to my season ticket rep and asked to get additional tickets for the Rangers-Devils game, second home game of the season. She showed me the seating chart and indeed by that point, there were only singles scattered around the arena. I mean, I saw it with my own eyes, it was a sold out game by mid-September.

So I just am left to wonder how the hell so many tickets ended up with Rangers fans. I don't think more than a thousand or so (most likely expensive single tickets) tickets make their way onto Ticketmaster by the time general sale takes place. So I'm just forced to place the blame on my fellow Devils fans. Have some fvcking pride and don't buy a bunch of additional tickets on your STH account to sell to Rangers fans, it's that fvcking simple.

Edited by DJ Eco, 22 October 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#66 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

And what if that person couldn't afford the season tickets without selling tix to a couple Rags and Flyers games? That person isn't any less of a fan because if that's what they need to do to afford to see all the other games.

That's understandable and all but I refuse to believe a third or more of our season ticket base is in that kind of financial predicament. Especially considering how hot the Yankee Stadium sales went. Our STH aren't all collectively crying poverty.

#67 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

That's understandable and all but I refuse to believe a third or more of our season ticket base is in that kind of financial predicament. Especially considering how hot the Yankee Stadium sales went. Our STH aren't all collectively crying poverty.

Also if the Devils play teams that are close to them like the Rangers, I believe the team makes more tickets available to the other team for their families, people, etc.

I was once a beneficiary of this as I got tickets that were originally earmarked for the Rangers organization at the Rock but at the last minute made available because they didn't need them.

#68 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Also if the Devils play teams that are close to them like the Rangers, I believe the team makes more tickets available to the other team for their families, people, etc.

You're right, that's a good point, and there sure were a good amount of them at Center Ice/Lowers where maybe they're having more trouble selling seats.

The problem section I saw was Section 214. I'd say that section was 60-70% Blue..

#69 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

You're right, that's a good point, and there sure were a good amount of them at Center Ice/Lowers where maybe they're having more trouble selling seats.

The problem section I saw was Section 214. I'd say that section was 60-70% Blue..

that couldve been a section that had a group sale of tickets.. my cousin and his friends went to the game 20 of them.. all of which are ranger fans and i actually believe thats the section they were sitting in so that explains that.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#70 chealion313

chealion313

Draft Pick

• Pond Hockey
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

are you saying the devils arw scalping thier own seats on stubhub? otherwise, thise seats are sold and I am unsure what point you are trying to make.

No, wasn't implying that at all, just saying even though those seats are bought, the seats always seem to be empty, or bought by the opponent's fans.

#71 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Pretty empty tonight

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#72 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Pretty empty tonight

Thursday Night game in October against a meh opponent.  Doesn't surprise me.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#73 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

I think one of two things happened. During the preseason, even before tickets went on general sale via Ticketmaster, I went to my season ticket rep and asked to get additional tickets for the Rangers-Devils game, second home game of the season. She showed me the seating chart and indeed by that point, there were only singles scattered around the arena. I mean, I saw it with my own eyes, it was a sold out game by mid-September.

So I just am left to wonder how the hell so many tickets ended up with Rangers fans. I don't think more than a thousand or so (most likely expensive single tickets) tickets make their way onto Ticketmaster by the time general sale takes place. So I'm just forced to place the blame on my fellow Devils fans. Have some fvcking pride and don't buy a bunch of additional tickets on your STH account to sell to Rangers fans, it's that fvcking simple.

If you looked at the chart 'before' tickets went on sale, there's your answer.  Of course they were going to hold some tickets back for general single-game sale where they could make more money selling at face and in plans as opposed to a quasi-sth discount.  It's not like what they showed you were the only tickets they sold.  And they tend to release even more tickets as the event gets closer too.

I'm not saying sth's don't play amateur ticket brokers, plenty always have.  As well as 'actual' brokers selling seats. Just that it wasn't the only factor in Ranger fans getting in the building.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 October 2013 - 11:07 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#74 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

Thursday Night game in October against a meh opponent.  Doesn't surprise me.

Florida, Nashville...those are meh opponents. Vancouver is a team with a fairly high profile that was in the finals in recent memory. Mon-Tues-Wed are the dead dates....Thurs I'd expect a little better. The fact that we only had 13,200 is very disappointing. That's already close to Nassau Coliseum territory. This should've been a 15k night at least

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#75 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Florida, Nashville...those are meh opponents. Vancouver is a team with a fairly high profile that was in the finals in recent memory. Mon-Tues-Wed are the dead dates....Thurs I'd expect a little better. The fact that we only had 13,200 is very disappointing. That's already close to Nassau Coliseum territory. This should've been a 15k night at least

it should have been worse, that's all on the back of STH.   There is no reason to go out and buy single game tickets.   And no, the western teams are not draws.  One of the big factors last year (other than only having to play the second year of the season calendar, where they always draw better) was that there were no western teams on the schedule.

#76 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

it should have been worse, that's all on the back of STH.   There is no reason to go out and buy single game tickets.   And no, the western teams are not draws.  One of the big factors last year (other than only having to play the second year of the season calendar, where they always draw better) was that there were no western teams on the schedule.

It depends on the western conference team. If Minny or Detroit or Chicago walked into our building it would've sold out.

Vancouver...they're not anonymous nobodies like Phoenix.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#77 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

It depends on the western conference team. If Minny or Detroit or Chicago walked into our building it would've sold out.

Vancouver...they're not anonymous nobodies like Phoenix.

By western, I mean western.   You'd have to see the 2nd to last time they were in.   Detriot and Chicago travel.    Vancouver is not a draw.    It really should have been worse but I guess they moved enough ST to avoid it.   Next season is when it'll get ugly.

16.5K on a Friday in February 2012

Edited by maxpower, 25 October 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#78 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Vancouver isn't that high of a profile team at all actually.  They're near the bottom in terms of media coverage in Canada.

Toronto

Montreal

Alberta Teams

Winnipeg

Ottawa

Vancouver

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#79 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

16,592 tonight.  I know tonight was the free game for STH, but how in the hell did they sell this game out?  16,592 is officially our new seating capacity as per TG.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#80 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

What is the free STH game?

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users