484 replies to this topic

#141 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

lol your being over dramatic. Do you really think the reason attendance is low is because of anything other than ticket prices relative to quality of the on ice product? Plus add in the fact attendance is always lower in the first half of the season.

maybe a bit of both. The atmosphere for sure is even duller than usual. What do you attribute that to?

#142 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Tickets are much too expensive to justify me traveling from near the deleware bay into newark. Prices are just outrageous. If I'm going to be put to sleep by such a lackluster offense I will do it at home. I watch on directv center ice.

I always see a ton of empty seats near the glass and then I check the price for said seats and understand why. Another poster mentioned season tickets and that's nearly the subject on every msg commercial.

The prudential center is a beautiful building but newark is a dump.

#143 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#144 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

when i first sat down yesterday during the little intro i couldnt believe how empty the building was.. literally the worst i have ever seen it .. then it later filled up a little more but it was almost embaressing for sure
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#145 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

I can't imagine how awful it would've looked the past two games if we weren't playing the Habs and Red Wings, who both have a nice presence over here whenever we play them. You can subtract at least 1,500-2000 fans from the totals if we weren't playing those two teams.

#146 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

I can't imagine how awful it would've looked the past two games if we weren't playing the Habs and Red Wings, who both have a nice presence over here whenever we play them. You can subtract at least 1,500-2000 fans from the totals if we weren't playing those two teams.

Well you can also add about 1,000 people to the total considering not everybody in attendance is actually being counted towards the attendance.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#147 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

13,832 tonight. I'm impressed.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#148 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

That's tickets sold.  Which isn't a great number for a Saturday night, but I'd love to hear how many people were actually in seats...that would clearly have been much lower.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#149 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

That's tickets sold.  Which isn't a great number for a Saturday night, but I'd love to hear how many people were actually in seats...that would clearly have been much lower.

Well it didn't look too bad on tv except for the the first period.  It looked better as the game went along.  If I had to guess, maybe 10,000 people was actually in the building tonight.

Remember, you must also take the number with a grain of salt this year seeing how they're not even counting all the people.  Ever since they changed the seating capacity this year without actually taking away seats, they simply stopped counting certain sections into the attendance figure.

13,832 / 16,592 = 83%.

83% of 17,625 is 14,629.

So in actuality, the attendance is probably around that 14,629 number.  Or in any case, that would have been the announced attendance last year or any other year when we still had a 17,625 seating capacity.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#150 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

I think we all know that the Devils attendance goes up when the new year turns over, but I was actually curious as to how much exactly it does go up.  I gathered all the data, and in the first 5 seasons in the Rock (07/08 through 11/12), the average attendance in October, November, and December is 14,971 people.  In January, February, March, and April, the average attendance is 15,794.

I did not count last year, nor have I counted this year.  But looking at this year, officially right now the average attendance is 14,059.  But that's with the 16,592 seating capacity.  So if we adjust the average of 14,059 to the 17,625 seating capacity of old, it comes to 14,981 which is right on par with the previous seasons.

**For those who are confused, the seating capacity is lower this year.  But the actual number of seats in the arena is the same as all the previous seasons.  All they did was stop counting the seats in specific sections into the official seating capacity of the arena.  So it's not like they removed 1,033 seats.

14,059 is 85% of 16,592.  In order to adjust it to the old seating capacity, I just simply found out what 85% of 17,625 was.  That number is 14,981.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#151 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well it didn't look too bad on tv except for the the first period.  It looked better as the game went along.  If I had to guess, maybe 10,000 people was actually in the building tonight.

Remember, you must also take the number with a grain of salt this year seeing how they're not even counting all the people.  Ever since they changed the seating capacity this year without actually taking away seats, they simply stopped counting certain sections into the attendance figure.

13,832 / 16,592 = 83%.

83% of 17,625 is 14,629.

So in actuality, the attendance is probably around that 14,629 number.  Or in any case, that would have been the announced attendance last year or any other year when we still had a 17,625 seating capacity.

Did you notice you didn't see one second of video of the upper deck? Think that was for no reason? I'd be surprised if there were 7k people there last night. I'd wager that the team let everyone come sit in the lower bowl because what the hell, no one was there anyways?

#152 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Did you notice you didn't see one second of video of the upper deck? Think that was for no reason? I'd be surprised if there were 7k people there last night. I'd wager that the team let everyone come sit in the lower bowl because what the hell, no one was there anyways?

They definitely showed the upper deck right at the end of the game as the team went to celebrate the victory.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#153 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

They definitely showed the upper deck right at the end of the game as the team went to celebrate the victory.

ohh when not one soul in the place was paying attention go figure
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#154 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

ohh when not one soul in the place was paying attention go figure

What in the hell are you even talking about?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#155 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

And what was there, like 3 people up there? I've been to a game when it snowed like this, I would bet $1000 that the attendance figure, in reality, was 5-7k.

#156 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

And what was there, like 3 people up there? I've been to a game when it snowed like this, I would bet $1000 that the attendance figure, in reality, was 5-7k.

It looked like it was about 60% full.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#157 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

It did look empty, too bad but it was bad weather and the ice product is questionable.

#158 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I sometimes am curious about the attendance too, but I really wonder what is a lot of Devils fans obsession with the attendance figures.  Who cares?

I really do think a good part of it is a lot of fans insecurity after hearing Rags and Flyers fans making fun of us for it.  I really don't care all that much.

#159 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Nobody was invited to sit in the lower deck and there were definitely more than 7,000 people there.  I'd say it was 1-2,000 short of our normal attendance (14,000) based upon my observations.  That doesn't say much about our normal crowds, but it impressed me how many people actually attended the game having to drive through some sh!tty conditions. 

I sometimes am curious about the attendance too, but I really wonder what is a lot of Devils fans obsession with the attendance figures.  Who cares?

I really do think a good part of it is a lot of fans insecurity after hearing Rags and Flyers fans making fun of us for it.  I really don't care all that much.

True.  I don't own the team so, at the end of the day, it really doesn't affect me how many people are in the building.  However, when the place is packed and energized, like it was a lot in 2012 and through most of last season, it enhances the overall in-arena experience.

Posted Image

#160 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

I was actually surprised at how many people made the trip to the game. The conditions were terrible and Newark was mostly unplowed. I thought there would be about half of what the attendance ended up being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users