32 replies to this topic

#1 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed about him so far. He has been mostly solid, but that’s it. I was expecting a top notch goaltender who could rob an occasional game for us. I am missing the “wow moments” from him. Was I delusional of what to expect from him?

#2 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

He has a 2.21 gaa and a .917 save % over 5 games, when you consider that we lost four of them, that's not bad.

#3 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Corey's been good..not great but good, he can get better along with the team, and if he doesn't his contract wont handcuff the team...like some others.

#4 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Too early to start feeling anything about him yet.  For one, kinda hard to steal games when your team is shutout, TWICE.  In his other two losses, the Devils scored one goal and two goals for him.  The only game where he got much support was the Rangers win. 

I think he's going to be fine, but he's not exactly playing on a barnburner here.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#5 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

yeah i think Corey is the least of our problems right now

#6 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

I give Cory a B+ for the season so far

He will get better as the season goes on, and he hopefully will get some goal support!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#7 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

No goalie can play without a defense.

#8 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed about him so far. He has been mostly solid, but that’s it. I was expecting a top notch goaltender who could rob an occasional game for us. I am missing the “wow moments” from him. Was I delusional of what to expect from him?

To be fair Cory isn’t exactly pleased with the way he has been playing so far, he knows there is work to do in his game as well as the teams.

I have been impressed so far. He has kept the team competitive in a couple of the losses.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#9 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

the rest of the team has left him out for dead before.. a goaltender cant win games if the offense doesnt score any goals.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#10 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

No goalie can play without a defense.

Not to mention offense...

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#11 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

I still think him and Jagr have been our best players followed by Brunner and Ryder.

He's been pretty solid so far it's just his defense scrambles around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 23 October 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#12 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Not to mention offense...

good point

#13 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Not to mention being screened on like half of those goals, and usually by Volchenkov it seems

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

How can you not be impressed with how he's played so far this season - he's one of the only freakin bright spots on this roster.

Unrealistic expectations.  He's given the team a chance to win every game he's played, which is something you can't say about Marty at this point.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#15 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

This thread is pure overreaction

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#16 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Not impressed so far. Only been a few weeks though

#17 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

When you look at all the goals he's let in throughout his games played, I think only last night's are goals he could have or should have had. I think in the other losses, especially Pittsburgh and Winnipeg (two shutouts), you have 2-3 goals that are just downright unstoppable. Defense left him out to dry, or in the case of the Winnipeg game, the puck straight-up went off of Greene's arm and into the goal. Last night was maybe his only subpar game, otherwise I feel like he's played exceptionally well and gave us a chance to win in every game he's played in.

#18 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Not to mention being screened on like half of those goals, and usually by Volchenkov it seems

Have you noticed this getting worse this season? It drives me up absolutely insane. It's as if our defense is told NOT to clear the front of the net. Sometimes BOTH of our d-men are in front of the opposition forwards, I can't understand why neither of them are knocking the forwards out of Cory's or Marty's way, it's drives me bananas... I never noticed it be as bad as I've noticed it this year.

Has anyone else noticed this? I can't contain myself, I'm screaming at the TV. Last night, the first goal, a shot goes toward Schneider and rebounds to his side and I think both forwards were BEHIND Salvador and Fayne. Fayne could do nothing more than shove him from behind and help him tap in the rebound. I don't understand how both defenders find themselves in front of the forwards like that, am I crazy?

Edited by DJ Eco, 23 October 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Not impressed so far. Only been a few weeks though

2.21 GAA and a .917 save% on a team that hasn't played terribly well.  What exactly WOULD impress you?

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

He seems to play better the more support he has. The only games hes played that theyve put up more than a goal he looked solid. Played well in Winnipeg too, though.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users