Photo

For those of you who thought Marty would object...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I never thought Marty would make it an issue assuming there was a clear difference between his play and Schnieder's play.  He said all the right things when Lemaire briefly benched him for Hedberg three years ago too.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you think Marty has a big ego, well good. Marty should have an ego, he's the greatest F'ing player in the history of his position in this sport.

But I don't think he has an ego and he's handling this about as well as any other goalie could, who's never been a backup goalie.

#23 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

When will Marty's next start be?  If he plays well and we win do they put him in the following game, or go back to Cory?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

i think the team will ride on whatever goaltender is winning.. if that happens more then once in a row this season. Next start brodeur has i bet he plays with a fire under his ass.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

i think the team will ride on whatever goaltender is winning.. if that happens more then once in a row this season. Next start brodeur has i bet he plays with a fire under his ass.

Would love to see a classic Marty stand on his head

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#26 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

i'll eat crow - i did not expect to get this kind of statement from marty. i'm very happy he said it.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#27 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Good that marty understand... But i hope harrold and salvador would understand too lol

#28 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

What's Marty gonna say really?  I mean, he has to tow the company line and show he has class, but in my opinion something is brewing inside.

Of course something is brewing. He's a human being still. He's seeing something he spent his whole like working at coming to an end. But he's being supportive of the coaching decision and Schneider, and acknowledging that the situation is what it is.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#29 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

i'll eat crow - i did not expect to get this kind of statement from marty. i'm very happy he said it.

Me too, I'm very impressed.

Honestly, it makes it easier to watch him now and just hope that he has a good outing without fear that a half decent effort will cost Schneider playing time. This team is going to need Vezina caliber goaltending on most nights not to piss away a top 10 draft pick and the younger guy gives us a better chance at this point. Hopefully Cory can play up to the level Marty did in the regular seasons of 20056-07 and 07-08 because we're going to need it. I don't think Brodeur ever really got the credit he deserved for just how good he was in those regular seasons covering for another pretty marginal roster Lou put together. I know he got the Vezina but those regular seasons really could have been mentioned along side some of Haseks best work. Instead it was usually talk about the system.

Anyway, back on topic, very classy by Marty.

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

yeah, I don't think I ate sufficient crow - no complaining about playing time or anything there.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

I am surprised at the surprise of alot of people here

We all know Marty isn't happy about it, but I expected him to give the company line the whole way

#32 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Would love to see a classic Marty stand on his head

i dont think hes completely washed up just yet .. he has a little left in there somewhere
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I am surprised at the surprise of alot of people here

We all know Marty isn't happy about it, but I expected him to give the company line the whole way

I'm only surprised it happened this soon really.  Today feels like stage one of Marty's eventual exit.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 23 October 2013 - 06:02 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

I am not a Marty hater, but I thought he was "done" a few years back, but man, I do feel for him because he lost his father and is now dealing with this which is probably eating him alive from the inside. I hope MB30 can reinvent himself to a back up mentality because, if he chose to, he could add on to his career and be a big factor for this team down the line. It will all come down to how well the team competes and if he likes being around the hockey boys more than his wife.  

#35 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Also think he's kind of shellshocked and probably not in much of a rush to get in there.   If the team was winning and he was getting outplayed I think the reaction would be a little different.   It's easy to accept being a backup on a team that is sucking ass.

#36 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm only surprised it happened this soon really.  Today feels like stage one of Marty's eventual exit.

It is.

i dont think hes completely washed up just yet .. he has a little left in there somewhere

I think he may have one last run in him....(hope?)  It is a sad day

#37 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Marty can still be a good goalie,

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#38 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Well, I didnt expect him to be an ass, not in the public eye anyhow.  He's always very balanced.  He dips a toe in to see what sort of reaction he gets. When it's positive he pushes further as with Queen Henry's pads :giggle: . He wants to be loved and respected and he's a reader and manipulator of people - its the nature of the position.

He tried a little outrage -pretty quickly he saw it was flying with no one. Fans are not being gracious about his fall, because they fear his ego will misread their melancholy/nostalgia for actual support.   If he's going to bounce back he'll need fan support.  Tantrums, self-righteous whining, this is no way to curry favor and get his way.  I'm not saying he's being dishonest or manipulative - he just sees things clearly - he has to be truthful if he hopes to be treated fairly (which means given the unearned benefit of the doubt when push comes to shove - shee-it he sees Gionta keep playing, day in day out :uni: ).

I also don't think it's eating him up inside.  He's OLD.  That's the only thing that will bug him at the end of the day and he's not that kind of person.  He'll find stuff to like about being old.  He'll be agitated and frustrated but nothing will eat away at his soul.  Man, how pathetic do you think he is? So dramatic :P

Edited by Pepperkorn, 23 October 2013 - 10:03 PM.

I'm here for the party

#39 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Well, I didnt expect him to be an ass, not in the public eye anyhow.  He's always very balanced.  He dips a toe in to see what sort of reaction he gets. When it's positive he pushes further as with Queen Henry's pads :giggle: . He wants to be loved and respected and he's a reader and manipulator of people - its the nature of the position.

I also don't think it's eating him up inside.  He's OLD.  That's the only thing that will bug him at the end of the day and he's not that kind of person.  He'll find stuff to like about being old.  He'll be agitated and frustrated but nothing will eat away at his soul.  Man, how pathetic do you think he is? So dramatic :P

brilliant pk, can i ask what you think of larsson's psyche?

serious question; is it one of culture, age or personality?

or is lou just a sucker for an old soul

sry offtopic

Edited by lazer, 23 October 2013 - 10:24 PM.

Posted Image

#40 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

We all grow old and that restricts us. Marty has had a great run and he can still have a good day and hopefully he gets many before the season is over. Congrats Marty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users