24 replies to this topic

#21 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hey!!  Rebuilding is a bitch.  Not much you can do but wallow in the mess until something big happens.  That's how we got the '95 team.  It takes time.

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Look at the 2011-12 Minnesota Wild. 35-36-11, 166 GF (not counting an additional 11 "goals" credited for shootout wins).  A lot of 2nd/3rd/4th line players on that team, just like this year's version of NJ.  This Devils team could easily mirror that team, only they'll never get 11 shootout wins.

The goaltending may improve, but this team will struggle to reach 180 goals.

That team was abysmal, although hilariously was in 1st place in the league in late November, which just goes to show what short-term luck can do.  (And of course when short-term luck can work against you, as in the Devils right now).  No doubt some people around here would've thought they were legitimate at that point, because your record says who you are.

But just a cursory glance at those forwards shows they are worse in every respect than NJ's - you can tell by asking yourself 'Is this player in the NHL now?'.  Most of these guys are not in the NHL or are in less prominent roles than they were for this 2011-12 team.  In addition, they suffered injuries, which led to their horrendous depth being exposed.  This led to sub replacement level players like Warren Peters getting 58 games - he hasn't played a game in the NHL since.  Now if NJ suffers lots of injuries, the Pelleys and Sestitos will be up here crowding the roster, but the Devils when healthy have 15 viable NHL forwards (being generous here with S. Gionta and Tedenby), and have guys in the minors like Boucher, Matteau, Whitney, and Timmins who shouldn't fall all themselves if they were given an NHL shot - they wouldn't be much better than what Minnesota threw out there, but they'd be better.  The fact that NJ has someone like Rosti Olesz where Minnesota had Warren Peters makes a big difference.

In addition, the defense on the Devils is much stronger - the Wild defense that year was Schultz/Gilbert, Spurgeon, Zidlicky, Scandella, Zanon, Prosser, basically a lot of young guys, garbage, and Zidlicky who hated playing there, and when he got traded, his replacement was Kurtis Foster which made the team substantially worse.  For as much grief as Peter Harrold gets, he'd've probably been that team's 3rd best defenseman at even strength.

NJ has a lot of players who it's a mystery who they are - Clowe, Loktionov, Brunner, Larsson, Josefson, Tedenby, everyone over 35, even Henrique and Zajac to an extent - yeah if everything melts down, we could look at this roster in 2 years and say the same things about it, but I really don't think that's the case given how the team started out the first 10 games.  Jagr is still a very good player, Elias is still a very good player, Ryder's not looking like a waste of space, etc.  I think this team's low end is around 175 goals, but we'll see.

Edited by Triumph, 25 October 2013 - 01:30 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Did some quick math, average 6-4 every set of ten you get 90 points. 6 wins = 12 points X 7 sets of ten. Not out of reach BUT it's seems to be getting late early.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

makes me laugh every time! what can yaaaa do i guess itll happen or it wont only time will tell
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

FVCK DA POLICE!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users