105 replies to this topic

#41 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

I like Clowe and think he has more talent than Clarkson.

However, like CR1976 said about a week or so ago, he is looking more and more like damaged goods.  Clarkson has the worse of the 2 contracts, but if Clarkson can actually play in his then his contract is def superior.  It's not fun seeing Clowe skate slow as molasses out there and having to hold our breaths every time he gets hit pretty good.  Hell our team the last few games have seem faster overall since he has been sitting out with his injury.

IDK but this is looking like the worst signing of any team this past summer.  I really do hope he gets better and gets it going for the benefit of the team but he is looking more and more like a buyout candidate.  This was obvious a panic signing by Lou after losing Clarkson in the same vein as his panic signings of Malakhov and McGillis after Niedermayer bolted.

#42 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

I like Clowe and think he has more talent than Clarkson.

However, like CR1976 said about a week or so ago, he is looking more and more like damaged goods.  Clarkson has the worse of the 2 contracts, but if Clarkson can actually play in his then his contract is def superior.  It's not fun seeing Clowe skate slow as molasses out there and having to hold our breaths every time he gets hit pretty good.  Hell our team the last few games have seem faster overall since he has been sitting out with his injury.

IDK but this is looking like the worst signing of any team this past summer.  I really do hope he gets better and gets it going for the benefit of the team but he is looking more and more like a buyout candidate.  This was obvious a panic signing by Lou after losing Clarkson in the same vein as his panic signings of Malakhov and McGillis after Niedermayer bolted.

i agree with ya here chris.. i think hes just basically like damaged goods at this point.. every time he gets touched he has some type of an issue.. this is definently the second time so far may even be the 3rd time since hes been with us hes had some type of issue.. to be stuck with this type of character for 5 years.. ohh man thats not going to be good.. hopefully we can end up moving him somehow or buying him out if this keeps up.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

i agree with ya here chris.. i think hes just basically like damaged goods at this point.. every time he gets touched he has some type of an issue.. this is definently the second time so far may even be the 3rd time since hes been with us hes had some type of issue.. to be stuck with this type of character for 5 years.. ohh man thats not going to be good.. hopefully we can end up moving him somehow or buying him out if this keeps up.

I really do like him and think that if he wasn't such damaged goods he would have been an upgrade over Clarkson for less the price.  Right now it just doesn't look like it is going for him and this signing is looking like a huge mistake.

We still have that 1 compliance buyout for next year and I would say at this point he is a bigger candidate than Volch as Clowe would have more years left on his contract.

#44 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

im not going to go back and forth about who is better then who because one to be honest i dont really care what anyone has to say on it and two it really doesnt matter who is better then who.. what does matter though is the contract is bad and is showing to be already. 

Mature!  :thumbsup:

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#45 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

I really do like him and think that if he wasn't such damaged goods he would have been an upgrade over Clarkson for less the price.  Right now it just doesn't look like it is going for him and this signing is looking like a huge mistake.

We still have that 1 compliance buyout for next year and I would say at this point he is a bigger candidate than Volch as Clowe would have more years left on his contract.

more years and i fell like volch is actually starting to play a bit better then he was.. the past couple games i feel like volch has been using his body again getting more physical throwing more hits around blocking more shots.. if he continues to play the way hes been (as long as the team isnt in the works right now to move him out to make room for gelinas) i dont think id really want him to be bought out.. hes been OK.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#46 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Mature! :thumbsup:

im not as big of a whiney baby as most of the people around here storm... as much as you think im an ass im really not all that bad all the time.. just like to stand for what i feel is right ;)

Edited by Sik02gt, 28 October 2013 - 09:54 AM.

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#47 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

im talking about both.. clowe cant be better then clarkson if he is never healthy enough to even play the game.. he is too injury prone and constantly has too many problems... all around that contract was a bad move im not going to go back and forth about who is better then who because one to be honest i dont really care what anyone has to say on it and two it really doesnt matter who is better then who.. what does matter though is the contract is bad and is showing to be already. too much money for way too long

Clowe when healthy is simply a better player than Clarkson. I know Clowe hasn't been healthy, but health has no bearing on a player's ability.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#48 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Clowe when healthy is simply a better player than Clarkson. I know Clowe hasn't been healthy, but health has no bearing on a player's ability.

and so far he has not shown to be. .in the games that he has played in he has not done a damn thing.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#49 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

and so far he has not shown to be. .in the games that he has played in he has not done a damn thing.

Small sample size. What about the games Clarkson was invisible for? Last year he was invisible in like 35 of the games.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#50 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Small sample size. What about the games Clarkson was invisible for? Last year he was invisible in like 35 of the games.

invisible? He led the team in goals how is that invisible? The entire team was invisible last season LOL! Atleast he was throwing shots on net every night as well
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

A lot of people here are saying Clarkson's contract is worse. When you sign a player that just finished a season with 3 concussions in a 48-game season, and less than 10 games into his stint with the Devils receives another....I don't think you can even compare.

No question in my mind all things considering, the Leafs have the much better deal. Ryan Clowe, a month into his new 5-year-contract, might be finished goods, and it would probably be the safest thing for his future if he retired, especially given the kind of style he plays. I can't see how concussions don't continue to play a part in his career moving forward.

Edited by devilsrule33, 28 October 2013 - 12:24 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

invisible? He led the team in goals how is that invisible? The entire team was invisible last season LOL! Atleast he was throwing shots on net every night as well

He had 16 points in his first 14 games last year. He had 8 points in the final 34 games. Clowe only had 5 fewer points in 8 fewer games than Clarkson. I love Clarkson as much as anybody here, but Clowe is the more consistent and better player. I watched a lot of Sharks games last year. The guy was noticeable, and had a lot of bad puck luck.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#53 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

He had 16 points in his first 14 games last year. He had 8 points in the final 34 games. Clowe only had 5 fewer points in 8 fewer games than Clarkson. I love Clarkson as much as anybody here, but Clowe is the more consistent and better player. I watched a lot of Sharks games last year. The guy was noticeable, and had a lot of bad puck luck.

I hate when people blame a players or teams performance on "bad puck luck" thats bullsh!t.. its not bad luck its not being able to finish or not producing against the opposition ..not because they were "unlucky" this isnt cards where you have no control or idea what your going to be delt..its a game of skill.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#54 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I hate when people blame a players or teams performance on "bad puck luck" thats bullsh!t.. its not bad luck its not being able to finish or not producing against the opposition ..not because they were "unlucky" this isnt cards where you have no control or idea what your going to be delt..its a game of skill.

So what would you use as an excuse for Clarkson?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#55 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

A lot of people here are saying Clarkson's contract is worse. When you sign a player that just finished a season with 3 concussions in a 48-game season, and less than 10 games into his stint with the Devils receives another....I don't think you can even compare.

No question in my mind all things considering, the Leafs have the much better deal. Ryan Clowe, a month into his new 5-year-contract, might be finished goods, and it would probably be the safest thing for his future if he retired, especially given the kind of style he plays. I can't see how concussions don't continue to play a part in his career moving forward.

I mean, I seem to remember that Lindros really retired due to wrist issues and not concussions - according to his injury report, he only suffered 2 after leaving the Flyers, and one was termed mild.  Of course these are probably the same doctors who gave out painkillers to Boogaard like they were candy, but hey.  Obviously it looks bad right now, but he's at least able to work out off-ice so far.

Game of skill, huh?  Want to replay those 2 Bruins goals from Saturday where they go in off Devils' players?  How about Gelinas's 1st goal - all skill there, right?  Just right off the defenseman's thigh and into the net.

It's a game of skill and luck.  Go look at Clarkson's 30 goal year and ask how many of those are skill goals.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#56 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

So what would you use as an excuse for Clarkson?

I wouldnt use an excuse at all id tell you exactly how it was... the second half of the season not only clarkson but the entire team sucked and could not score goals or finish a game off for a win.. no need for excises say it how it is
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#57 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

I wouldnt use an excuse at all id tell you exactly how it was... the second half of the season not only clarkson but the entire team sucked and could not score goals or finish a game off for a win.. no need for excises say it how it is

Saying the entire team sucked does not excuse Clarkson or any player for sucking.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#58 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Saying the entire team sucked does not excuse Clarkson or any player for sucking.

again you keep saying excuse.. im not making any excuses for the guy.. I said the second half of the season the team sucked and couldnt finish with scoring goals and winning games..clarkson was part of that team he and the rest of the team... yes team the rest of the participating players were not putting a good enough performance together to win games... I hope you can figure out how to understand that I dont know how else to word it to make it simpler.. either that or your just trying to go back and forth with me I dont know.

Edited by Sik02gt, 28 October 2013 - 12:47 PM.

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#59 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Game of skill, huh?  Want to replay those 2 Bruins goals from Saturday where they go in off Devils' players?  How about Gelinas's 1st goal - all skill there, right?  Just right off the defenseman's thigh and into the net.

It's a game of skill and luck.  Go look at Clarkson's 30 goal year and ask how many of those are skill goals.

This is skill damn it, and probably the goal that summed up his 11-12 campaign.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IjALny_FoD8

or was it this one:

http://www.youtube.c...HrnlVdg#t=1m12s (1minute, 12 seconds)

Edited by devilsrule33, 28 October 2013 - 12:54 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#60 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

again you keep saying excuse.. im not making any excuses for the guy.. I said the second half of the season the team sucked and couldnt finish with scoring goals and winning games..clarkson was part of that team he and the rest of the team... yes team the rest of the participating players were not putting a good enough performance together to win games... I hope you can figure out how to understand that I dont know how else to word it to make it simpler.. either that or your just trying to go back and forth with me I dont know.

But you are making an excuse for Clarkson.

Saying the entire team sucked with Clarkson does not excuse Clarkson for sucking. During the stretch Clowe was still on the Sharks, they sucked as well. Does that excuse Clowe too?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users