55 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,066 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

I think they will go with 8 D again until they get things sorted out.  Harrold can play forward and defense, and if Boucher or Whitney continues to play well in Albany, they have their Tedenby replacement in the system.  That's if Tedenby is claimed on waivers, which I don't think he would be.

Edited by Triumph, 27 October 2013 - 04:36 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Why??? Gelinas and Larsson looked a solid pairing. Lot of potential there. Why???
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#43 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Why??? Gelinas and Larsson looked a solid pairing. Lot of potential there. Why???

They would have been over the roster limit otherwise. It's mostly a formality, he'll probably play Tuesday

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#44 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Bullsh!t. Gelinas plays, period. When a guy comes up and plays like that, you make room. End of story, I don't care what needs to be done.

+1000

+1000

#45 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,027 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

@TGfireandice: Eric Gelinas is here for Devils' practice.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#46 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Glad to hear Gelinas will be back. I really like him as a player and he brings a skill set the Devils are lacking.

But people here need to stop treating him like the second coming of Bobby Orr. He played two good games, but made a few mistakes that almost led to odd-man rushes, and were he Larsson, Volchenkov, or Harrold people would be much quicker to emphasize his mistakes then his two points. 

He is one of several big, mobile, skilled defencemen the Devils have in the system right now which is awesome. The team should be doing what they think is best for his development, which again I agree is to play up here and gain experience and hopefully confidence. 

But Gelinas will not be the difference between us competing and missing the playoffs this year in my opinion. If the team doesn't play the system, regardless of how many shots from the point he gets off we will still lose.

Posted Image

#47 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Glad to hear Gelinas will be back. I really like him as a player and he brings a skill set the Devils are lacking.

But people here need to stop treating him like the second coming of Bobby Orr. He played two good games, but made a few mistakes that almost led to odd-man rushes, and were he Larsson, Volchenkov, or Harrold people would be much quicker to emphasize his mistakes then his two points. 

He is one of several big, mobile, skilled defencemen the Devils have in the system right now which is awesome. The team should be doing what they think is best for his development, which again I agree is to play up here and gain experience and hopefully confidence. 

But Gelinas will not be the difference between us competing and missing the playoffs this year in my opinion. If the team doesn't play the system, regardless of how many shots from the point he gets off we will still lose.

I don't know. After watching the Devils almost get eliminated single handedly in the first round of 2012's playoffs by Jason Garrison's slapshot, I have new respect for the value of a big shooting defenseman. Do the Devils still need to play their system well? Absolutely! Obviously! But a guy with Gelinas' talents can absolutely have a profound effect on their overall playoff chances just simply by adding a dimension to their blueline that opposing teams have never really had to respect before. The Devils prior big shooters from the blue line were Kurtis Foster and Sheldon Souray (yes, I had to go back that far). We don't really have a history of having a guy like that and it'd be great to see if we can develop one in Gelinas. Zidlicky has a good shot, but it's not one that'll make people duck and cover from and besides, I doubt highly we see him still in the lineup in a year or two.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#48 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I don't know. After watching the Devils almost get eliminated single handedly in the first round of 2012's playoffs by Jason Garrison's slapshot, I have new respect for the value of a big shooting defenseman. Do the Devils still need to play their system well? Absolutely! Obviously! But a guy with Gelinas' talents can absolutely have a profound effect on their overall playoff chances just simply by adding a dimension to their blueline that opposing teams have never really had to respect before. The Devils prior big shooters from the blue line were Kurtis Foster and Sheldon Souray (yes, I had to go back that far). We don't really have a history of having a guy like that and it'd be great to see if we can develop one in Gelinas. Zidlicky has a good shot, but it's not one that'll make people duck and cover from and besides, I doubt highly we see him still in the lineup in a year or two.

it wasn't "single handedly" almist won by Garrison. That was an extremely close series and I would credit Weiss and other forwards for it as well.

I'll still agree with you though that Gelinas adds a much needed dimension

Edited by Onddeck, 28 October 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#49 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

it wasn't "single handedly" almist won by Garrison. That was an extremely close series and I would credit Weiss and other forwards for it as well.

I'll still agree with you though that Gelinas adds a much needed dimension

Whenever Garrison was out there the whole Devils team was in disarray trying to figure out how to deal with his shot and the fact that Brodeur seemingly had no real answer for it. If he hadn't gotten injured I don't know that we win that series.

#50 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Honestly, this isn't a bad problem to have. It seems the team and the system have been quite good at producing solid but not spectacular defensemen. I think the key is a balancing act till there is enough demand in the market that LL can get a return. I would hate to see us dump assets (even if only slightly valuable) for nothing.

#51 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Devils' Pete DeBoer says don't put Eric Gelinas in Hall of Fame yet

http://www.nj.com/de...t_flyout_sports

Well of course... I'd be curious to know his opinion on Gionta's chances though

www.SterioDesign.com

#52 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

:clap2:  :hail:

Posted Image

#53 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

I found this quote very interesting...

“He’s come up the right way. He’s paid his dues in the minors. He hasn’t been handed any jobs,” the coach said. “He’s come up and gotten some looks and gone back down. This guy has gotten here the right way. Is he here to stay? I think that’s something we’ll evaluate week to week. We just want him to continue to play at a high level.”

I wonder if maybe that feeds into how he treats Larsson and Josefson.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#54 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I found this quote very interesting...

I wonder if maybe that feeds into how he treats Larsson and Josefson.

It does appear that he has been attempting to have them pay their dues in a belated fashion.

#55 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

PDB is a coach who only knows 'tough love', it seems. If you're coaching, you have to know both, otherwise you're not operating in the best interests of the team.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#56 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

PDB is a coach who only knows 'tough love', it seems. If you're coaching, you have to know both, otherwise you're not operating in the best interests of the team.

Absolutely. One of the reasons that Johnny Mac was such a great assistant coach was because he was a 'players' coach. He was the good cop to whatever head coach was bad cop. But when everyone's buddy became the top guy, it got very ugly. PDB definitely needs to find a way to have slightly softer approach in some situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users