Photo

Red Bulls have won the Supporter's Shield!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

I understand they have a you suck chant thats worse than ours

#22 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

I understand they have a you suck chant thats worse than ours

The league and NY Red Bulls did a good cop/bad cop thing. First they offered to pay each supporters club $500 a game not to chant "YOU SUCK a$$holE!" after every goal kick. Many people stopped doing it but many didn't, so eventually they sent a letter to each group threatening to take away some of their privileges (mainly, not let them bring in flags and smoke bombs and stuff) and it worked, you don't really hear it anymore, which is a shame...

http://nypost.com/20...-one-ysa-chant/

#23 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Who cares? 

First off soccer is pathetic with the lack of contact, diving and crying. Second these clowns are cutting commercials claiming to play in NY when they play and live in NJ.

Soccer can take its stupid scarves and sing song garbage and get lost

haha Okay, you keep supporting a sport full of overpaid mega-roided primadonnas doing "nothing much" all game (baseball and football, judging from your sig), and I'll support the world's most popular sport where players are at least jogging for an hour and a half, when they're not full out sprinting.

Not saying diving/complaining isn't a problem in soccer, but you come off pretty ignorant. Being a diehard hockey fan isn't mutually exclusive vs. being a soccer fan. You didn't have to click the thread if you weren't interested.

Edited by DJ Eco, 28 October 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#24 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

WTF is a "Supporter's Shield"?!?!?

It's like our President's Trophy but with a few meaningful benefits. We qualify into our continental leagues' Champions League, which is a trophy between all the best teams in North and Central America that you play concurrently during the MLS regular season.

What's most exciting about it right now is that if we make it through the playoffs to the MLS Cup Final, it's a ONE SINGLE GAME final, not best of 7 or best of 3. It's one single game and as the best team in the regular season, that one game would automatically be played at Red Bull Arena. It's like if the Stanley Cup Final were one game and one team clearly has a home advantage and the other doesn't.

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Who cares? 

First off soccer is pathetic with the lack of contact, diving and crying. Second these clowns are cutting commercials claiming to play in NY when they play and live in NJ.

Soccer can take its stupid scarves and sing song garbage and get lost

I come from a "soccer family" (my brother was the #8-ranked high school player in NJ during his senior year...he got a full ride to play at Ohio Wesleyan University), and my family had season tickets to the NY Cosmos for about 4 years.  I'll admit, watching the Cosmos play was fun back in the day (late 70s-early 80s)...but I also think part of the fun simply came from being a kid (I was 8 to about 12 years old) and being at a event.  We often went with other families too, which added to it.  And the Cosmos could actually score...almost 3 GPG for a few years, which kind of made them the 80s Oilers, as far as soccer goes.

But yeah, there's a LOT of things I hate about soccer.  Not just the lack of scoring, but often the lack of scoring chances.  Seems crazy that two teams can play 90 minutes, without either one of them reaching double figures in shots.  And yeah, the diving-like-they've-just-been-shot thing makes it easy to hate the sport.  Some will point to hooligan rioting as another reason, but it's not like other sports haven't seen their share of fan rioting in recent seasons.  And friggin' championships getting decided on PENALTY KICKS?!   

A lot of the reason it's popular around the world is that it's easy to play, and cheap, as far as needing equipment goes.  Just find a ball and a field/street/whatever, and anyone can play.  And for young kids, compared to American football/baseball/hockey/basketball, it's a lot easier to not look bad.  I won't deny that as kids get older, clearly some of the ones who aren't developing and improving their skills won't keep up, but at least when kids are younger, soccer doesn't require as much skill as some other sports to look passable.  Run and kick.  Not that hard.  That's why a lot of kids play it.  It's flat-out easier, especially initially. 

Looking at it from the rest of the world's point-of-view, I can understand it if they don't get baseball, think it's boring, wondering why there's so much standing around, and how much of the game seems to be focused on four individuals (pitcher, batter, catcher, home plate umpire).  And I'm sure when they see baseball players get hurt swinging a bat or running to first, they're thinking "Oh please" (I know I do sometimes).  They probably find American football to be confusing, with down and distance, and constantly play-stoppages.  Ice hockey and basketball have more a world following, and I can understand that, in that, like soccer, there's more continuity and quicker back-and-forth during play.  It all comes down to perception, and I don't pretend to think that Americans have the market cornered on the 100% "correct" perception of what sports are worthy of being played. 

But this is one American that thinks soccer is pretty lame. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 29 October 2013 - 10:40 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#26 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'm a fan of most sports (can't get into basketball for some reason), and I like watching soccer.  I took my son to see the Red Bulls at RBA a few weeks ago.  It was fun and the stadium was nice.  To be honest, the atmosphere of the crowd chanting and signing most of the game is the best part, as there are long periods of inactivity (or buildup depending on how you look at it) prior to any semblance of a scoring chance taking place.  I would go back again.

The problem I have with the Red Bulls is their embrace of NY as if they play on the west side of Manhattan.  The stadium is in Harrison, they train in Whippany, and there is not a mention of NJ anywhere.  It doesn't stop me for supporting them, like it doesn't stop me from supporting the Giants, but it still irks me to a degree.

Also, for whoever suggested that they sellout that stadium regularly - they definitely do not.  They might have been sold out last weekend, but when I went in September vs. Dallas, there might have been 10,000 people there (and that's being generous) despite them announcing the attendance at over 18,000.  Their attendance is severely overinflated as, during most run of the mill games vs. teams like Toronto, you can clearly see on TV whole sections in the upper tier behind the goals completely empty.

Posted Image

#27 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm a fan of most sports (can't get into basketball for some reason), and I like watching soccer.  I took my son to see the Red Bulls at RBA a few weeks ago.  It was fun and the stadium was nice.  To be honest, the atmosphere of the crowd chanting and signing most of the game is the best part, as there are long periods of inactivity (or buildup depending on how you look at it) prior to any semblance of a scoring chance taking place.  I would go back again.

The problem I have with the Red Bulls is their embrace of NY as if they play on the west side of Manhattan.  The stadium is in Harrison, they train in Whippany, and there is not a mention of NJ anywhere.  It doesn't stop me for supporting them, like it doesn't stop me from supporting the Giants, but it still irks me to a degree.

Also, for whoever suggested that they sellout that stadium regularly - they definitely do not.  They might have been sold out last weekend, but when I went in September vs. Dallas, there might have been 10,000 people there (and that's being generous) despite them announcing the attendance at over 18,000.  Their attendance is severely overinflated as, during most run of the mill games vs. teams like Toronto, you can clearly see on TV whole sections in the upper tier behind the goals completely empty.

That last part is completely true.  While the lower level is usually packed, the upper level in most games have barely any people in them.  In a stadium that seats about 25,000 people, at a game on a Saturday night back in July I believe there was I would estimate about 15,000.

#28 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

I'm sure the Red Bulls have their passionate fans...but let's not elevate them to Devils status yet. I see $33 tickets for eastern conference soccer finals games now on stubhub. You cannot get Devils Eastern Conference Finals tickets for that price ever

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#29 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm sure the Red Bulls have their passionate fans...but let's not elevate them to Devils status yet. I see $33 tickets for eastern conference soccer finals games now on stubhub. You cannot get Devils Eastern Conference Finals tickets for that price ever

If you start using ticket prices on StubHub to evaluate a sport or a fanbase, then we (the Devils) are a joke of a fanbase compared to Toronto, New York, and Montreal. C'mon, now...

Look, if soccer's not your thing, that's cool, just don't start your first reply with "Who cares?", that's disrespectful and for the record, who cares that you don't care? I don't.

Edited by DJ Eco, 29 October 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#30 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

A lot of the reason it's popular around the world is that it's easy to play, and cheap, as far as needing equipment goes.  Just find a ball and a field/street/whatever, and anyone can play.  And for young kids, compared to American football/baseball/hockey/basketball, it's a lot easier to not look bad.  I won't deny that as kids get older, clearly some of the ones who aren't developing and improving their skills as they get older won't keep up, but at least when kids are younger, soccer doesn't require as much skill as some other sports to look passable.  Run and kick.  Not that hard.  That why a lot of kids play it.  It's flat-out easier, especially initially. 

Calling it "easy" is just misunderstanding it. There is just as much structure and drawing of plays as any other sport, with the challenge being to incorporate those plays/structures fluidly through two 45 minute period with no stops. 

Finding it unentertaining is one thing, and that's fine, but you can't call it "easy" by any stretch of the imagination. And I've played both soccer and hockey.

#31 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Calling it "easy" is just misunderstanding it. There is just as much structure and drawing of plays as any other sport, with the challenge being to incorporate those plays/structures fluidly through two 45 minute period with no stops. 

Finding it unentertaining is one thing, and that's fine, but you can't call it "easy" by any stretch of the imagination. And I've played both soccer and hockey.

Soccer is easy to learn but hard to master.

Hockey is just hard lol.

#32 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

I agree - and I've played both sports as well.  In fact, soccer on a professional level is extremely complex with overlapping runs, timing of plays to beat an off sides trap, etc.  It is like a chess match at times.  Problem is (a) it is considered a "foreign game" to most American sports fans, (b) there are lots of down periods in the action during a game, and © you can't easily bet on the sport.  For my money, it is a better sport to watch live than on TV as the crowd atmosphere is 1/2 the experience, and you can't possibly get the same feel from watching on TV. 

Posted Image

#33 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hockey is just hard lol.

It takes a number of skills that you need to work in concert to play ice hockey.  I believe it is, by far, the hardest sport to learn how to play well.  Soccer, basketball, and football (in no particular order) are much easier to learn on a basic level.

Posted Image

#34 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you start using ticket prices on StubHub to evaluate a sport or a fanbase, then we (the Devils) are a joke of a fanbase compared to Toronto, New York, and Montreal. C'mon, now...

Look, if soccer's not your thing, that's cool, just don't start your first reply with "Who cares?", that's disrespectful and for the record, who cares that you don't care? I don't.

In bold...too funny...everytime my father-in-law and I start chatting about sports, it's only about 5 minutes into our conversation that my mother-in-law has to chime in with "Who cares?"  Makes me insane.  Quite often I feel like saying, "Do I say 'Who cares?' whenever you're talking about something I find lame?"  For the sake of keeping peace though, I don't fire back with anything. 

Re-read my post.  Yes, as kids get older, they will have to learn the finer points, no question, and some of them won't be able to keep up with their peers in time.  But soccer is very easy to get into for young ones.  There's a reason why so many young kids play it.  Because it's not hard.  Some kids can't figure out how to ever throw correctly...if you're trying to play baseball, you're going to look pretty bad...even doubly so if you can't figure out how to swing a bat (which is a skill in itself).  American football sees kids being groomed for certain positions very early on, based on skillset...if you can't throw, block, run or catch, you're weeded out pretty quickly.  Dribbling and walking/running at the same time in basketball takes considerable coordination, and a lot of kids can't do that from Day One.  And hockey...first you have to learn how to skate, then skate backwards, check, try to handle a puck, shoot, pass...on a relatively small surface at pretty quick speeds. 

It is NOT hard to look decent at soccer for young kids (and remember, I'm only taking about young kids here).  You don't have to be that coordinated to do it, nor do you need much skill (early on).  I'm guessing quite a few kids playing soccer couldn't cut it in baseball, basketball, football and other sports, but took up soccer because it's a lot more forgiving. 

DM84 just stated it pretty well...it's easy to learn/get into, and it's easy to look anywhere from meh to pretty good even if you suck at most other sports.  But like I said, that's only temporary...I think most kids who truly aren't good will be exposed/weeded out within the first 3-4 years of playing organized soccer.  Once they get to be around 12, it gets to be a lot tougher, and you start seeing a lot more of the finer points as the players still playing clearly have a grasp of the nuances.

Remember...I watched my brother play from the time he was 7.  My dad was his coach.  My dad also coached his regional and state teams.  In time, the skills needed to be REALLY good at soccer are definitely on display, and it's apparent that not just anyone can run and kick a ball and have success forever.    

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#35 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hockey is just hard lol.

I'll give you that, I can agree.

#36 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yup I agree and I think DevsMan84 explained it in the most accurate (and shortest) way.

#37 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Personally, I would much rather watch soccer than basketball. I have no time for basketball, just don't see the appeal of "He Scores!" over 100 times in a single game. And baseball is boring too lol

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#38 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Maybe it has something to do with a SOCCER thread in a HOCKEY forum?  If this doesn't get posted here, no one gets to bad mouth soccer. 

And for the record, I can't stand soccer, either.  It's a complete borefest.  I'd rather watch paint dry than the supposed "beautiful game."

#39 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Maybe it has something to do with a SOCCER thread in a HOCKEY forum?  If this doesn't get posted here, no one gets to bad mouth soccer. 

And for the record, I can't stand soccer, either.  It's a complete borefest.  I'd rather watch paint dry than the supposed "beautiful game."

If the Giants, Jets, Mets, Yankees, Knicks, or Nets won a title, there'd be a thread about it here. Let's not all turn into a$$holes because there's a soccer one today, okay. It's really really REALLY simple.

Edited by DJ Eco, 29 October 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

If the Giants, Jets, Mets, Yankees, Knicks, or Nets won a title, there'd be a thread about it here. Let's not all turn into a$$holes because there's a soccer one today, okay.

Soccer is a lot more polarizing than any of the above.  The other sports are also seen as a lot more "American", especially baseball, basketball, and football (though a nice chunk of baseball's talent base comes from outside the U.S.).   

Though many Europeans and Russians are top NHLers, and account for much of the NHL's talent pool, I think a lot of Americans and Canadians view the NHL as a North American entity. 

Soccer is still seen as a European/other world/3rd world thing by many Americans, loved by foreigners who simply don't know any better...as that little engine that thinks it can stubbornly try to gain a foothold into the American sports conscience, but only seems to make so much progress.  When it comes to American sports fans, you'll have your share that hate baseball (some think the gameplay is becoming dated, was boring to begin with, and takes too damned long), hockey (does it ever draw strong ratings?), basketball ("just a bunch of tattooed uneducated thugs"), and football ("they might as well call it flag football, with all of these rule changes").  I'd even argue that people who aren't into hockey don't really hate it as much as they're flat-out indifferent to it. 

But there's a real hatred that goes along with disliking soccer...and Americans seem to be more vocal about that than they would about letting the world how much they might hate other sports.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 29 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users