54 replies to this topic

#21 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

You missed the point. Gionta fits the bill for what a perfect 13th forward is. I realize he's not being used like it. I've said numerous times Josefson should be the everyday 4th line center.

I guess good thing you're not the coach and that decision isnt yours.. gionta has the job on his line for a reason.. may be reasons we dont see but hes obviously the superior player for the position or he wouldnt have it.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#22 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

I guess good thing you're not the coach and that decision isnt yours.. gionta has the job on his line for a reason.. may be reasons we dont see but hes obviously the superior player for the position or he wouldnt have it.

C'mon, you can't honestly believe that Lil Gio is better than JJ? Gio might be quicker and have a slightly better shot, but JJ is better in every other way.

#23 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

C'mon, you can't honestly believe that Lil Gio is better than JJ? Gio might be quicker and have a slightly better shot, but JJ is better in every other way.

to be honest I feel like I havent really seen enough of jj to be convinced that he should have gios job.. I like gionta on the line with bernier and carter they all work well together.. theres obviously a reason hes still on a line with them there has to be more then jist gio is a hard worker yada yada
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#24 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

to be honest I feel like I havent really seen enough of jj to be convinced that he should have gios job.. I like gionta on the line with bernier and carter they all work well together.. theres obviously a reason hes still on a line with them there has to be more then jist gio is a hard worker yada yada

If you can't back it up with something other than "there has to be a reason", then what's the point in this discussion? JJ is superior in all ways, except he's not a grinder, which is what PDB seems to want. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

If you can't back it up with something other than "there has to be a reason", then what's the point in this discussion? JJ is superior in all ways, except he's not a grinder, which is what PDB seems to want.

it obviously fits his system better then jjs style of play.. which could be a reason hes not on the roster
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#26 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

it obviously fits his system better then jjs style of play.. which could be a reason hes not on the roster

JJ is on the roster. He's not in Albany. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#27 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

JJ is on the roster. He's not in Albany.

my bad hes an extra skater not playing
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#28 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think Deboer likes players who he feels works hard.  He would take a hard working player giving him 5.5 rather than a more effortless or lazy player giving him a 6, IMO.

I'd go differently, I don't really care how a player looks doing it, I want the 6 over the 5.5.  I think Deboer subconsciously gives bonus points for hard work, as if there are bonus goals for that.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#29 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

It's funny how since the defense had a bad stretch the gio hate on the board has died down.

But I still feel the same way about him that I do with Harold- if he's used as the extra skater with spot starts he's fine. But deboer wants a hard working energy guy on the 4th and I guess jj isn't that type.

#30 Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

It's funny how since the defense had a bad stretch the gio hate on the board has died down.

But I still feel the same way about him that I do with Harold- if he's used as the extra skater with spot starts he's fine. But deboer wants a hard working energy guy on the 4th and I guess jj isn't that type.

Plus he is used on the PK.

3308166.jpeg

#31 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Plus he is used on the PK.

to my eye jj is a better pker. Simply seems more responsible in the sense that gionta overplays at times. And jj has a bit longer reach.

But alas I've never played the game before so I will never profess to be that knowledgeable on it. I just like watching.

Edited by dmann422, 28 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#32 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

So how soon til Vol is on the IR so Merril can get up here as well??

I'm all for a youth movement, I've been yelling about it for ever.. 

JJ, Tedenby, Merril, Boucher.. give them all a chacne!

Edited by redruM, 28 October 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#33 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

So how soon til Vol is on the IR so Merril can get up here as well??

I'm all for a youth movement, I've been yelling about it for ever.. 

JJ, Tedenby, Merril, Boucher.. give them all a chacne!

Besides being a 1st year pro, I don't mind Merrill spending this year in the AHL. The Devils already have enough capable D, he's only 21, and he's missed a lot of time over the last few years - 33 games in all competitions last year, 25 games in all competitions the year before. I'd be concerned about his stamina.

Boucher's off to a great start, 8 GP 2-5-7, +2, 8.33 SH%, 3 SH/GP but I don't think he'd be better than any of the Devils current forwards. I want to see him be consistent and keep progressing in Albany this year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,883 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Let Boucher and Merrill stay down for the year and get ready, we've rushed kids a lot lately and it hasn't really worked out for us (Urbom, Josefson, Matteau, Larsson).

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

I don't hate Gio, but there are other players I'd like to see tried out.  As far as him on the PK, his reach kills him.  But obviously Pete is very, very comfortable with not only him, but that line in general. Break up that line and Gio goes bye bye.

#36 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Let Boucher and Merrill stay down for the year and get ready, we've rushed kids a lot lately and it hasn't really worked out for us (Urbom, Josefson, Matteau, Larsson).

Not sure you can really say we rushed Urbom or Matteau.

#37 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

gio is not going to be used as a 13th forward not even sure why you would get that idea? There have been no signs by anyone that he woyld be coming out of the line up the coaching staff obviously likes the guy

Because it's a good idea and quite practical and reasonable at that?  And one needs to question the coaching staff with how deplorable a job they have done stretching back to last year.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#38 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,883 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Not sure you can really say we rushed Urbom or Matteau.

He played his first games as a 19-year old.  Maybe you could argue he didn't play enough to be considered rushed since he only had 14 NHL games with us but it got a point with him where he went from being our best d-prospect to being expendable.  Matteau was even younger and absolutely rushed last year, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the NHL if it wasn't for our hideous forward situation and he certainly wouldn't have stayed beyond the five games if Zubrus didn't get hurt.  He was playing double-digit minutes most of the time here.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#39 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

He played his first games as a 19-year old.  Maybe you could argue he didn't play enough to be considered rushed since he only had 14 NHL games with us but it got a point with him where he went from being our best d-prospect to being expendable.  Matteau was even younger and absolutely rushed last year, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the NHL if it wasn't for our hideous forward situation and he certainly wouldn't have stayed beyond the five games if Zubrus didn't get hurt.  He was playing double-digit minutes most of the time here.

I really don't think a few NHL games ruins a player's development. Maybe if they both played out a season with us way before they were ready, sure, but I really doubt that less than 25% of an NHL season will ruin a prospect. I mean, Matteau played almost that with 17, but Urbom got 8 games, a full year after he was drafted, then 5 the next year and 1 the year after that.

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

You can't want Merrill to stay in the minors all year and for the Devils to trade a defenseman on the roster.  That would leave NJ with 6 guys + Gelinas and a bunch of guys in the minors with 0 NHL experience, the best of whom is clearly Merrill.  

Merrill will probably get some games anyway, even as #9 on the depth chart.  Injuries happen.

Edited by Triumph, 28 October 2013 - 06:48 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users