102 replies to this topic

#61 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yea I know,  But I still think his jersey number policy is a bit much.  :::shrugs::::

The number policy is my favorite one, it really ties into the whole team first thing. That and the hair thing. They're pros and no one else can walk into work looking like they just spent 3 months on a deserted island.

#62 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

The number policy is my favorite one, it really ties into the whole team first thing. That and the hair thing. They're pros and no one else can walk into work looking like they just spent 3 months on a deserted island.

i like that he keeps the team inline with being clean cut.. kind of like the yankees i dont think theyre allowed to have facial hair.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#63 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

If the rags are wearing either their standard white or more likely one of their retro whites, there really isn't much of a direction the devils would go unless its either a brand new red jersey design (knowing Lou and company I would highly doubt it) or just the red retro with a patch (I can see Lou agreeing to this). I'd rather have the red retro with a patch instead of a new red design. Knowing reebok and their design team you know they would try to make something "badass" but really come off as cheesy or designed by a 15 year old boy who plays too many video games while constantly hyped up on Mountain Dew.

I really wanted the white throwback but I'm almost 100% sure now that the door on that has been shut.

100%. I'm glad the Devils don't have third jerseys.  I HATE black for the sake of black. By any chance do you read Paul Lukas Uniwatch blog?  I think it would be up your alley.

#64 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

The clean cut thing is really the only one of Lou's crazy policies I like. And the social media thing to an extent. I think players should be allowed their own twitter accounts, for example, but they should not be stupid with them. 

I just think that a small market team has to let some things go in order to build as big of a fan base as possible. I can see why teams like the Leafs or Rangers would be so strict but small market teams need all the help they can get (whether that be allowing social media, 3rd jerseys, commercials, etc.).

#65 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

The clean cut thing is really the only one of Lou's crazy policies I like. And the social media thing to an extent. I think players should be allowed their own twitter accounts, for example, but they should not be stupid with them. 

I just think that a small market team has to let some things go in order to build as big of a fan base as possible. I can see why teams like the Leafs or Rangers would be so strict but small market teams need all the help they can get (whether that be allowing social media, 3rd jerseys, commercials, etc.).

i agree with you here.. if players were allowed to have social media accounts it would only seem that they would be reaching out to a much larger group of people over all possibly attracting a larger fan base.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#66 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Agree...also to keep players from wanting to leave, and to attract free agents

we're in between NY and Philly....it's tough enough building a fan base  and getting free agents 

#67 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Agree...also to keep players from wanting to leave, and to attract free agents

we're in between NY and Philly....it's tough enough building a fan base  and getting free agents 

I don't think any player has really left because lack of social media, lack of 3rd jerseys and commercials (Clarkson and now Schneider were doing it for Pure Hockey) was a top reason.

#68 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I don't think any player has really left because lack of social media, lack of 3rd jerseys and commercials (Clarkson and now Schneider were doing it for Pure Hockey) was a top reason.

for those three reasons..no

but I hear Lou is strict with many things

#69 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

for those three reasons..no

but I hear Lou is strict with many things

Oh ok then I misunderstood your post.  Yeah Lou is pretty strict and perhaps for at least a few players that can factor in where they would hestitate to sign or re-sign with the Devils.  However there are probably at least a few if not an equal amount of players who have no problem giving up fame and freedom for a chance to compete with a team that has been pretty much always in the hunt for the past 20 years.  I guess it's up to the player what is more important to him.

#70 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Oh ok then I misunderstood your post.  Yeah Lou is pretty strict and perhaps for at least a few players that can factor in where they would hestitate to sign or re-sign with the Devils.  However there are probably at least a few if not an equal amount of players who have no problem giving up fame and freedom for a chance to compete with a team that has been pretty much always in the hunt for the past 20 years.  I guess it's up to the player what is more important to him.

I always imagined players would hate to do all that extra stuff a la the fashion show in Slapshot, LOL.

#71 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I always imagined players would hate to do all that extra stuff a la the fashion show in Slapshot, LOL.

I'm gonna whip it out and everybody with the exception of my wife is gonna be runnin for the exit!!

#72 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

This.......some men want to wear beards or long hair, it sounds silly, but thats how they feel

others could give a sh!t

#73 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Why would LL not care for all these years, then just now decide he gives a sh!t about the song they play after a goal? I don't think he has ever or will ever think about the goal song.

A) They 'did' get rid of it for a year or two with VBK
B) He probably only started caring when fans added the dreaded two word phrase to the song.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#74 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

The number thing I could care less about except when guys like Josefson and Tedenby have to change numbers they wore numerous times before cause some scrubini has it now. I'm perfectly fine with no high numbers though.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#75 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think the ownership will eventually make alternate jerseys. They are too big of a revenue generator to not. Granted, I'm sure jersey sales are up for the team in general with all the additions and subtractions over the past few seasons. But when you have just two jerseys and a roster that sticks together, jersey sales will tend to be static. 

I will add that, if we do ever get alternate jerseys, we must create a secondary/alternate logo. I feel it would be desecrating if we slap it on an alternate jersey.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324, 31 October 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#76 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think the ownership will eventually make alternate jerseys. They are too big of a revenue generator to not. Granted, I'm sure jersey sales are up for the team in general with all the additions and subtractions over the past few seasons. But when you have just two jerseys and a roster that sticks together, jersey sales will tend to be static. 

I will add that, if we do ever get alternate jerseys, we must create a secondary/alternate logo. I feel it would be desecrating if we slap it on an alternate jersey.

I think (sadly) the new owners will do a lot of things to generate more $$$$$

Lou will bark at most of the ideas, but he's not really running that side of the business. Maybe in a few years Lou wont like the direction and decide its time to retire.

#77 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,972 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I've always thought the clean cut rule was stupid. This is sports not wall street.

#78 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I really think if ownership does decide on making alternate jerseys that it might the line that Lou draws in the sand.  They can try to force it on the Devils, but Lou might prevent them from going on the players.

Iron Mike Keenan refused to have his players wear the third jerseys that ownership decided on with the Blues in 1996 and won..

#79 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

I am proud of the fact that the team doesn't throw out jersey designs left and right. It's bush league. Look at most of the great sports franchises in history, part of their allure is the consistency of their uniforms.

Red wings, bruins, Yankees, Red Sox, celtics, lakers. They don't need to produce gimmicky jerseys to gain notoriety. They let the product on the field (or ice or court) elevate their logo and jersey into iconic levels.

And I want the devils to be grouped with them, not the wild, ducks and hurricanes of the sports world.

#80 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

A) They 'did' get rid of it for a year or two with VBK
B) He probably only started caring when fans added the dreaded two word phrase to the song.

I know, but that didn't last all that long. Thought that was more of a lets not pay a pedophile than anything else.

I just don't see how LL cares about what the fans chant. Maybe he does, but I feel like that'd be something he'd think, eh, I got better stuff to worry about it.

The number thing I could care less about except when guys like Josefson and Tedenby have to change numbers they wore numerous times before cause some scrubini has it now. I'm perfectly fine with no high numbers though.

What they did to JJ was ridiculous. I have no idea why they took 16 from him to give him 9 when they could have just given Butler the 9. I have no clue what the point of that was. Like you said, I just like that there's no high numbers because they're unnecessary and I like the whole 1-30. It works into the team first theme since there's no one(minus guys like Jagr who you're not gonna make change their #) that deserves that "special" treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users