84 replies to this topic

#61 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

I've always had a problem with that thinking.  I agree a marriage is a contract and I believe in a divorce things should be split evenly for large majority of them.  However, to expect to live the same lifestyle after the divorce as you did before is just foolish and unrealistic.  The household was split in two so their combined income will never be as high.

In most of these cases its the man paying the woman alimony it is up to the man to then pay the difference.  What if he loses his job?  I know he can go back to court to ask it to be lowered, but a lot of times that doesn't happen.  There is/was a very real case of that happening in Flemington where a guy was jailed for failure to pay alimony after he lost his high paying job and after his requests to lower his alimony payments were rejected.

I think the way the way they deal with it post-divorce could definitely be improved. I know someone who was hassled, just like you said, to the point where he was being jailed, which does nothing but make the situation worse. I think men are overwhelmingly handicapped when it comes to making a case that they are being overburdened by alimony or child support payments.

At the same time though, I think, especially when children are involved, the higher paid/more successful partner has a responsibility to maintain a lifestyle across the board for their family.

If you have one parent making good money and another making near nothing, it can really skew how kids feel. How is it fair if one parent can afford to take the kids to places for vacation or see a concert or a sporting event or buy them this toy, but then to have the other parent in a place where doing that would mean taking food off the table?

#62 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I agree that alimony is a system that needs to be very seriously reformed. New Jersey's alimony laws in particular are rather awful. That is, however something that must be taken up by ballot box.

Hasn't that come up before and every time it never makes it to the ballot box?  I bet the lobbiest for the lawyers are going hard to prevent it ever from having it decided by vote of the populace.

I think the way the way they deal with it post-divorce could definitely be improved. I know someone who was hassled, just like you said, to the point where he was being jailed, which does nothing but make the situation worse. I think men are overwhelmingly handicapped when it comes to making a case that they are being overburdened by alimony or child support payments.

At the same time though, I think, especially when children are involved, the higher paid/more successful partner has a responsibility to maintain a lifestyle across the board for their family.

If you have one parent making good money and another making near nothing, it can really skew how kids feel. How is it fair if one parent can afford to take the kids to places for vacation or see a concert or a sporting event or buy them this toy, but then to have the other parent in a place where doing that would mean taking food off the table?

That's what child support is for.

#63 Guadana

Guadana

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

So you're saying Russian women deserve to be beaten? 

am.. no. i don`t. you take that from context

Edited by Guadana, 01 November 2013 - 11:21 AM.

best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#64 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hasn't that come up before and every time it never makes it to the ballot box?  I bet the lobbiest for the lawyers are going hard to prevent it ever from having it decided by vote of the populace.

Well I was referring to by voting for representatives who will change it, but I suppose that trying to get a referendum might not be a bad idea.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#65 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well I was referring to by voting for representatives who will change it, but I suppose that trying to get a referendum might not be a bad idea.

Representatives are even worse.  A lot of them are former/current lawyers themselves.

#66 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

In a perfect world it would be 50/50, but we do not live in a perfect world. Right when both parties walk into the courtroom, in a huge majority of cases the woman is guaranteed at least 50% while the man would have to fight tooth and nail to just get 50%.

Divorce cases are heavily stacked against men, even when it is not their fault.

I don't disagree. That's why I'm making damn well sure that I marry someone who the likelihood of getting a divorce from is near zero.

#67 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

I don't disagree. That's why I'm making damn well sure that I marry someone who the likelihood of getting a divorce from is near zero.

I hope so but there are no guarantees in life. My brother a couple years ago would have thought the probability of him getting divorced was near zero too.

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

I don't think too many people enter marriage thinking "This is only temporary."  Yeah, some people are stupid about it and shouldn't have gotten married, but a lot of people enter into marriage thinking it's going to be forever, end of story.  A lot can change over time, people can grow apart...simply, a lot can happen, and you cannot predict the future, no matter how hard you try.

As much as you may think you've got all it figured out, no one can really say that they do.  You can only do what feels right at the time, and do the best that you can.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#69 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I don't think too many people enter marriage thinking "This is only temporary." Yeah, some people are stupid about it and shouldn't have gotten married, but a lot of people enter into marriage thinking it's going to be forever, end of story. A lot can change over time, people can grow apart...simply, a lot can happen, and you cannot predict the future, no matter how hard you try.

As much as you may think you've got all it figured out, no one can really say that they do. You can only do what feels right at the time, and do the best that you can.

as I said earlier, the majority of divorces I have seen of people I know or heard of are either: people younger than 25 who think they know what they're doing then 10 yrs go by and they say "crap this is it huh?" Or people who are together less than a year or two and think "it doesn't get any better than this, let's go!" And realize after a few years that it may not get better, but it can get worse.

Of course this is by no means a scientific study and there are always other factors, but I believe a lot of divorces I've seen are a result of people being too naive about the situation they are entering into.

#70 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

http://usnews.nbcnew...her-monkey?lite

Must be something in the water in Colorado this week...

#71 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Checked back on this thread hoping for some details about what Varlamov did, stumbled into pretty interesting debate about divorce and domestic abuse.

Needless to say, this is way too heavy (at least at this moment) for my taste for a hockey forum, so I'll just...see myself out..

http://usnews.nbcnew...her-monkey?lite

Must be something in the water in Colorado this week...

Now THAT'S more like it 

/slight sarcasm

Edited by Devilsfan118, 01 November 2013 - 12:39 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#72 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Checked back on this thread hoping for some details about what Varlamov did, stumbled into pretty interesting debate about divorce and domestic abuse.

Needless to say, this is way too heavy (at least at this moment) for my taste for a hockey forum, so I'll just...see myself out..

Now THAT'S more like it

/slight sarcasm

when the devils win there's nothing to complain about so we need to keep ourselves entertained until the next loss somehow.

#73 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

In his defense, Varlamov did protest, "It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XFldSKSCTkk

Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#74 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

You walk away and leave the girl.

#75 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

You walk away and leave the girl.

leave the girl, take the cannoli.

That's what I always say.

#76 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

mmmm cannoli.....

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#77 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Tough to leave the girl if you can't get her out of your house.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#78 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

So he's playing tonight.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#79 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Tough to leave the girl if you can't get her out of your house.

it was a joke to try to lighten the mood after some serious off topic discussion.

If he wanted her to leave and she refused, there is a simple solution that does not involve violence.

Edited by dmann422, 01 November 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#80 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

In his defense, she did run into his knee and then trip down the stairs. That poor clumsy thing!
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users