36 replies to this topic

#21 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Aaron Rodgers currently out of GB game with a shoulder issue (non throwing). If he misses time that would be huge.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#22 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Sounds like a broken collarbone for Rodgers, yikes. NFC North race should be fascinating now. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#23 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

A coaching clinic by Trestman in game management and play calling and an a disaster in clock management by Mike McCarthy. The holding call ruined what would have been the best drive of the year by any team. Still up there anyway.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 November 2013 - 11:39 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

The TD/INT ratio is worth a seperate discussion in itself.  Everyone knows yardage itself is going to be bloated for obvious reasons, but QB's really are more accurate these days.  Part of it's precise systems, part of it's the legislating of defense out of the game but still it's not like every team has a capable QB, there's still plenty of bad QB'ing around.

Quoting myself here...but exhibit A being the Packers once Rodgers went out :P 

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

I think that's been an issue with a few teams with great QBs. They spend absolutely no money on backups. Those guys are usually your career clipboard holders. I am thinking Jim Sorgi in Indy, Chase Daniel in New Orleans, Chris Redman in Atlanta, Craig Nall behind Favre all those years, etc.

But there are a lot of capable backups who can succeed with the right coaches. On the other side of the Packers without Rodgers is The Bears without Cutler with and Josh Mccown. A guy who somehow found himself coaching high school football is showing he is very capable as a regular NFLer. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 05 November 2013 - 09:20 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

As much as people complain about QBs being overprotected (and some of the roughing-the-passer calls are beyond aggravating, no question), the sad truth is that, if the QBs weren't afforded that kind of protection, we'd be looking at 10-15 teams playing their backups by mid-season.  The game might seem wussified at times, but what would we all rather see...Brady, Manning and the best talent available playing the position, or David Carr and Seneca Wallace types?  dr33 is right that there are some capable backups who clearly can succeed when they get their chance (Rodgers and Brady, among many others), but not nearly enough to go around.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

As much as people complain about QBs being overprotected (and some of the roughing-the-passer calls are beyond aggravating, no question), the sad truth is that, if the QBs weren't afforded that kind of protection, we'd be looking at 10-15 teams playing their backups by mid-season.  The game might seem wussified at times, but what would we all rather see...Brady, Manning and the best talent available playing the position, or David Carr and Seneca Wallace types?  dr33 is right that there are some capable backups who clearly can succeed when they get their chance (Rodgers and Brady, among many others), but not nearly enough to go around.   

Wouldn't include Rodgers since he was supposed to go 1st overall until a few months before the draft. It's so tough being a backup because you get absolutely no reps in practice. But this year we have seen enough guys do a good enough job, Lewis in Buffalo, Campbell and Hoyer in Cleveland, Glennon in Tampa Bay, Foles in Philly.

Teams just need to invest in a decent backup. And the top teams have no interest in doing that when cap space is so limited, and they can't spend more on a position that is costing them a fortune already. 

The QB position is going to get a big boost next year. Up to 9 QBs might be drafted in the 1st and 2nd round: Bridgewater, Mariota, Manziel, Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, Carr, Miller and Boyd. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 05 November 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#28 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Its hard, if not impossible to spend money on quality depth ANYWHERE when your starting QB is hogging up 25% of your salary cap.....this is indisputable

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#29 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Foles is inconsistent. Mcowen or however its spelled played pretty well. Keenum should be Houston's starter. Cousins in Washington has what it takes to be a starter,a 100% cousins is better then 75% rg3. Packers defense gave Chicago the win as well a Houston's kicker handing them the game.

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Its hard, if not impossible to spend money on quality depth ANYWHERE when your starting QB is hogging up 25% of your salary cap.....this is indisputable

Amen brother.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Amen brother.

You know how it is though...when a guy like Flacco goes on a terrific postseason run, he's going to get paid, and there's no way his team lets a QB that proves he can win it all get away, even if they have to pay him massive dollars. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#32 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

You know how it is though...when a guy like Flacco goes on a terrific postseason run, he's going to get paid, and there's no way his team lets a QB that proves he can win it all get away, even if they have to pay him massive dollars. 

And add in the joke rules about practices in pads and the backup never gets a damn rep in and we wonder why the #2 guys are so awful now......

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Last time Rodgers missed games though Matt Flynn made himself millions of dollars (including the game in New England, even before the 6-TD one against Detroit).  Ironically it wouldn't be a huge shock if Flynn was back this week now that he wore out his welcome everywhere else.

It's not just that teams won't spend...why if you are a competent backup would you even go to a team behind a big-time starter where the starter never gets hurt?  Kyle Orton's kind of an exception but he already ran the gamut in terms of starting opportunities he was ever going to get anyway.  You can draft a guy semi-high too, the Giants did that with the Syracuse kid, the Pats have Mallet.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

And add in the joke rules about practices in pads and the backup never gets a damn rep in and we wonder why the #2 guys are so awful now......

That, and for the most part, with all of the scouting and scouring that goes on to find a QB in a league that's ALWAYS looking for a good arm, the backups who have true starting potential tend to get scooped up (teams will even make a move if a guy looks good in preseason games, or has a couple of big regular-season games when he gets a chance to start).  That's why I don't think Ryan Mallett has much of an NFL future...his preseason appearances have been very meh, and I think a team that thought he had something would've coughed up a pick or two (maybe a 3rd and 5th or something like that) by now. 

#30 FOREVER!

#35 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

No place for the slurs in the league at all joke or not- Larry Fitzgerald

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

That, and for the most part, with all of the scouting and scouring that goes on to find a QB in a league that's ALWAYS looking for a good arm, the backups who have true starting potential tend to get scooped up (teams will even make a move if a guy looks good in preseason games, or has a couple of big regular-season games when he gets a chance to start).  That's why I don't think Ryan Mallett has much of an NFL future...his preseason appearances have been very meh, and I think a team that thought he had something would've coughed up a pick or two (maybe a 3rd and 5th or something like that) by now. 

NFL teams need to continue drafting a QB in the 3-6 round no matter how good they think their QB situation is. You get a very cheap option for 4 years or so, and a lot of them can play. As a team you need to avoid having Seneca Wallace or Chris Redman coming into a game. You want a Nick Foles option even if there is already a $100 million option in Vick. 

#37 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

dr33...I agree with what you're saying, but I think the Pats took Mallett thinking "OK, here's a guy who was projected to go in the first round, but has fallen to us in the 3rd round...maybe we can turn him into something." (like a 1st or 2nd rounder).  I think if Brady had been a few years older when they drafted him, they might have been drafting him as a true heir apparent to Brady.  But I think the Pats drafted Mallett to flip him.   

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users