69 replies to this topic

#21 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ok phew so im just seeing this thread, but can i'm guessing I can be reproved that he only twisted his ankle? Thank god

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

You misunderstand. I'm not projecting at all. He was absolutely worth the lower salary he was getting last year. He was even more worth the lower salary he had gotten three years ago. However, at his current level of production which has been maintained at this level for the better part of a year now is not worth what he is currently being paid for it. He is currently on pace for 7 goals 21 assists over an 82 game season. That is not worth what he is currently being paid.

If his last season had been gangbusters (whether on this deal or not), I would be more inclined to cut him slack over it being a slump. It wasn't. The season before that he was out for all but 15 games. The last time we can actually go based off of to consider his offensive numbers is 2010-2011 when he grossed out at 44pts. If you're wanting us to figure on better than that we'll have to look at 2009-2010 which was his high water mark of 67 points. That was his best offensive season. It has all been down hill from there.

Even if you wanted to figure last season based on an 82 game season he was still only on pace for 38 points which is not too far off from what he did two seasons before. If he is a 40 point player, that's fine, at $3.5-4million/year. At $5.75 million he needs to be looking at hitting between 60 and 70 points a year. I'm not talking about entering a scoring title race, I'm talking about being involved in the offense a little less than once per game.

Very simply he is now being paid more than Patrik Elias and is going to maintain that average salary for the next 8 years. Will that be a bargain for his level of play in 4 years? I don't know. I don't know that his level of play will continue as well as it has given the fact that it's taken such a tumble in the last 4 years. I can only speak for what he's doing now and right now when I see him out on the ice I don't feel confident about the odds of a goal occurring. I'm not saying that I feel concerned about the odds of a goal against either. But I had that same lack of confidence in a goal for and lack of concern about a goal against when Bob Carpenter was playing for us and to me that's not the level of play I consider to be worth that amount of money.

Patrik Elias is 37.  If Patrik Elias were 29 and coming off the 3 seasons he just had, he'd be paid a lot more than Travis Zajac.  Indeed, he was, when he was Zajac's age, he made $6M a year when the cap was at $46M, which is equal to around $8.4M now.

Zajac is running exceptionally bad on the power play, his points are way, way down there than where they were 3 or 4 years ago.  I don't think he's good on the power play, but he's not as bad as his numbers.

Edited by Triumph, 01 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

What part of he's only been playing under that contract for 12 games is hard for you people to get? You're ready to throw Zajac under the bus due a deal that he's only 1/64th of the way through. So many posters here keep projecting his current contract back over his entire career like the rest of his tenure with us was sub-par now because he's been getting top line $$$ for 3 weeks.

Um, what part of my comment did you take as saying that he has failed this contract? You completely failed to understand what I said. Completely. And even more offensively, you misrepresented what I was saying.

Edited by Neb00rs, 01 November 2013 - 02:33 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#24 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Patrik Elias is 37.  If Patrik Elias were 29 and coming off the 3 seasons he just had, he'd be paid a lot more than Travis Zajac.  Indeed, he was, when he was Zajac's age, he made $6M a year when the cap was at $46M, which is equal to around $8.4M now.

When he was Zajac's age he was coming off a season where he'd scored 81 points and then the equivalent of 90+ points in a sickness shortened season. That would be worth $8.4 mill today.  I'm not arguing that because you can't compare Elias' production today to his contract 8 years ago. Zajac is coming off two seasons of around 40 points. That's not worth $5.75 million. Not in today's dollars and certainly not in 2005's dollars. Let's put it this way; was John Madden getting paid $4 million in 2005 to pot 36 points? No, due to a screw-up by Lou that made him a free agent he was signed for $3 million that was considered way more than he should've gotten. But even if you figure that amount. Zajac is getting paid 33% more in 2005 dollars than John Madden was for similar production.

Edited by NewarkDevil5, 01 November 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#25 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Um, what part of my comment did you take as saying that he has failed this contract? You completely failed to understand what I said. Completely. And even more offensively, you misrepresented what I was saying.

No I didn't. You said that the excuse of him being good at defense isn't enough after all these years.

1. It certainly was enough up until this year, so I don't understand your complaint.

2. He doesn't have to really do a whole lot more for him to be worth $5.75. i.e. 50 points per season, which is certainly within reach for him.

That is my rebuttal to your comment.

#26 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

No I didn't. You said that the excuse of him being good at defense isn't enough after all these years.

1. It certainly was enough up until this year, so I don't understand your complaint.

2. He doesn't have to really do a whole lot more for him to be worth $5.75. i.e. 50 points per season, which is certainly within reach for him.

I would argue that he needs to hit 60 points, but each of us judge the value of money differently. Either way, however he needs to do that and thusfar he isn't on his way towards that so therefore right now it's not good enough.

#27 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I would argue that he needs to hit 60 points, but each of us judge the value of money differently. Either way, however he needs to do that and thusfar he isn't on his way towards that so therefore right now it's not good enough.

Clarkson is getting the same amount of money, but just for his stat line. Zajac does all the right things and will NEVER, during the length of their contracts, put up less points than Clarky. I guarantee it. You can save this post and everything, I'll eat my and everyone else's hats if I'm wrong. The cap hit is gonna seem high for this season and maybe next year, but after that, this deal will be good value and will stay that way for the duration.

#28 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Look, this argument is simple really. Zajac is currently on pace for 28 points. Is that worth his current contract? No. That means he needs to get better. Period. Whether or not he has the capacity to get better is harder to determine because none of us are clairvoyant.

Edited by NewarkDevil5, 01 November 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#29 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

No big loss. Nothing JJ can't step in and pick up.

#30 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Look, this argument is simple really. Zajac is currently on pace for 28 points. Is that worth his current contract? No. That means he needs to get better. Period. Whether or not he has the capacity to get better is harder to determine because none of us are clairvoyant.

Nobody is arguing that he's looked great. My argument is that we haven't had enough time to really judge how he's looked, so lets wait a few more games, if he doesn't turn it around by game 20 or so, the same deadline I've given the team to turn it around before I lose hope. He's shooting around 4.8% right now, so I imagine that will change.

#31 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Zajac for our first rd pick back would be great. JJ is ready.

#32 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

Nobody is arguing that he's looked great. My argument is that we haven't had enough time to really judge how he's looked, so lets wait a few more games, if he doesn't turn it around by game 20 or so, the same deadline I've given the team to turn it around before I lose hope. He's shooting around 4.8% right now, so I imagine that will change.

That's fair enough, but I do believe that people showing concern have every right to do so as it's been far longer than 10 games since he's put up a 50pt/season pace for an extended period of time.

#33 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

ALL I said was that at this point in his Devils career and with a new contract in place, his current offensive production is starting to reflect over his value and that he needs to pick it up.

You turned that into: The Devils never should have given Zajac that contract and I am throwing him under the bus.

The point I made was very gentle and very simple: At this point, Zajac's offensive production needs to improve. 

I also specifically used the word "consistently."

You failed to not just interpret but to read my post correctly, and you did so with an attitude. Hence, my aggressive tone.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#34 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Oh sh!t...I know the achilles heel is major but what are the odds of this being a career ending injury?

Will the tendon ever recover 110%?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#35 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

He rolled his ankle. He's okay.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#36 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Oh sh!t...I know the achilles heel is major but what are the odds of this being a career ending injury?Will the tendon ever recover 110%?Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

have you read anything in this thread... pretty sure it wasnt even the same ankle that he rolled... it could be a career ending injury sure which is why hes playing tomorrow.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#37 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Oh sh!t...I know the achilles heel is major but what are the odds of this being a career ending injury?

His career is over.  In fact, this is life threatening.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#38 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

have you read anything in this thread... pretty sure it wasnt even the same ankle that he rolled... it could be a career ending injury sure which is why hes playing tomorrow.

Don't be an ass...a simple answer would of been enough. I browsed briefly.

#39 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Mathematically, no.

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#40 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:08 PM