68 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

And people say fighting is bad for hockey. Because of this every hockey message board is jumping, fans are texting back and forth "hey did you see what happened!?", the folks that went to that game have a story to tell and a memory for life, hockey will actually make it in some national sports highlight packages, a former rivalry that has since died may now be rekindled. Washington should be looking for revenge the next game.

All in all, this incident is a net game for the league.

There is no one who enjoyed that other than a few angry Flyers fans at the game. Everyone is disgusted by what happened. 

Most people like a good hockey fight when two goalies look down the ice each other, shrug their shoulders and say 'let's go' or where they dramatically clash at center ice (pointless, but entertaining), but what Emery and the ref did was disgusting. Emery going after Holtby and sucker punching him and beating him down is the equivalent of George Parros jumping a Sedin and beating the sh!t out of him for no reason. And the linesman or ref letting this go while blocking Capitals players from stepping in...holy sh!t.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

I'm indifferent towards fighting.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

You stay classy Philadelphia!
Posted Image

#24 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,788 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

There is no one who enjoyed that other than a few angry Flyers fans at the game. Everyone is disgusted by what happened. 

Most people like a good hockey fight when two goalies look down the ice each other, shrug their shoulders and say 'let's go' or where they dramatically clash at center ice (pointless, but entertaining), but what Emery and the ref did was disgusting. Emery going after Holtby and sucker punching him and beating him down is the equivalent of George Parros jumping a Sedin and beating the sh!t out of him for no reason. And the linesman or ref letting this go while blocking Capitals players from stepping in...holy sh!t.

I agree that the Caps should've jumped in and pounded Emery, and Emery was very wrong in what he did to Holtby (and will get suspended justifiably so)

But it's not that unusual for a team that's being humiliated to try and start something, and sometimes cheap shots are involved. I've watched a lot of hockey in my life...this used to be a fairly regular  "team building/wake the fvck up" moment

Look at the Lemieux hit on Draper. Ugly incident...and the NHL turned around and milked it for all its worth, and got a dynamic new rivalry and tons of $ in its pocket because of it.

Edited by '7', 01 November 2013 - 11:37 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#25 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

I agree that the Caps should've jumped in and pounded Emery, and Emery was very wrong in what he did to Holtby (and will get suspended justifiably so)

But it's not that unusual for a team that's being humiliated to try and start something, and sometimes cheap shots are involved. I've watched a lot of hockey in my life...this used to be a fairly regular  "team building/wake the fvck up" moment

Look at the Lemieux hit on Draper. Ugly incident...and the NHL turned around and milked it for all its worth, and got a dynamic new rivalry and tons of $ in its pocket because of it.

It's a team building exercise when you don't get one of your star players hurt during it.    There's going to be a ton of negative attention on this.   The league now has to suspend people for borderline (or formerly legal) hits, and you have the only goalie who could hold his own with goons rabbit punching another goalie while he's down... while a ref is watching. 

That was a total mess.   It's pretty much 180 degrees from the perception the league wants, rightly or wrongly

#26 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

emery.. scum bag fits in perfect there..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

It's a team building exercise when you don't get one of your star players hurt during it.    There's going to be a ton of negative attention on this.   The league now has to suspend people for borderline (or formerly legal) hits, and you have the only goalie who could hold his own with goons rabbit punching another goalie while he's down... while a ref is watching. 

That was a total mess.   It's pretty much 180 degrees from the perception the league wants, rightly or wrongly

Thing is, I don't see what Emery did that's suspendable, at least according to previous interpretations of the rules.  It's perfectly okay to pound the crap out of someone like that, you just get an instigator penalty and a game misconduct.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

Francois St Laurent was the moronic ref allowing Holtby to get jumped.

I believe instigator penalties are suspendable.Further edit: I think when you rack up 29 mins the league can find a way to suspend you

Edited by devlman, 02 November 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#29 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Thing is, I don't see what Emery did that's suspendable, at least according to previous interpretations of the rules.  It's perfectly okay to pound the crap out of someone like that, you just get an instigator penalty and a game misconduct.

Yep, but that's the mixed message they send.   I guess he can get one of those comic 4 figure fines for being a nuisance, that's about it.   Still, no goalie should be fighting that guy and for the Caps to stand around and let Holtby get pummeled by him is just soft.

Edited by maxpower, 02 November 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#30 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Francois St Laurent was the moronic ref allowing Holtby to get jumped.

I believe instigator penalties are suspendable.Further edit: I think when you rack up 29 mins the league can find a way to suspend you

the first person to be suspended out of all if this is st Laurent who literally watched holtby take ten knocks to the head while he was on the ground.

Second person should be Simmons as his hit that started the whole thing was an elbow targeting the head.

#31 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

Carkner got 1 playoff game for beating the crap out of Boyle in 2012. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=94r8eauXqkU

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#32 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think if the Flyers didnt fight no one would watch their games

#33 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

Broad street pansy cats more like it. So irresponsible and disrespectful to others. Giroux has sucked since jagr left. The team seems like. Nothing. Defense sucks. Goalies inconsistent. The offense is all always down and all over the place like NY ex.

#34 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

Referees rarely break up fights, that is the linesmen's job.  The refs need to keep an eye out to make sure they get the calls right and also to make sure no cheap shots are thrown behind their back while the linesman jump in to break up the fight.  Of course, the linesmen were busy already, and since Holtby obviously did not want to fight, St. Laurent tried to stop the fight from happening until Holtby took his mask off and started throwing punches of his own.  From then on, it's a normal fight between two willing combatants, and while Holtby was getting the crap kicked out of him, he kept trying to get back up and continue fighting.  Holtby was not getting sucker punched, no punches were thrown until he was a willing participant.  When he was eventually taken down with Emery on top of him, it seems like Emery stopped throwing punches and the linesmen jumped in to separate them.  Seemed like normal fight protocol to me.

Emery is a tool, though.

Edited by devilsfan26, 02 November 2013 - 02:11 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#35 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

1) simmonds is a phenomenal hockey player that I would kill to have on my team. One of the top power fowards in the league without a doubt, and this play just shows the fire he has to compete.

2) Im fully for the frame of thought that if you can't beat em, beat em up. No team should take a 7-0 beating lying down. Put a little bit of doubt in your opponents for the next time yous play, this way you're not seen as a pushover. Yeah people are going to hate you, but you're not out there to make friends or impress fans from other teams.

#36 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

The only thing sickening about that goalie fight is no one jumped in to protect their goalie on the Washington side.  That is pathetic.  Other than that it's great for the game.  Fighting belongs in hockey its been there since the beginning and should never be banished.

Edited by capo, 02 November 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#37 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

If anything last night was bad for hockey because it gives the anti-fighting people more ammo.  You want real fighting, passion in close games...you don't want goon action in blowouts where guys get hurt and bully guys who don't want to fight.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#38 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

all I care about is beating these punks twice while they're down and before the tough part of the schedule upcoming.  we NEED this win!

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yep, but that's the mixed message they send.   I guess he can get one of those comic 4 figure fines for being a nuisance, that's about it.   Still, no goalie should be fighting that guy and for the Caps to stand around and let Holtby get pummeled by him is just soft.

The ref blocked anyone from coming to Holtby's aid.

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Carkner got 1 playoff game for beating the crap out of Boyle in 2012. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=94r8eauXqkU

He punched Boyle when he was on the ice, that's against The Code.  Emery didn't do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users