41 replies to this topic

#1 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm extremely agitated about this, and I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks. I know it's only until the regular captains are back, but I don't like the idea of slapping a letter on someone after a dozen or so games in the uniform, under any circumstance. I would rather see almost anyone else that was out there last night wear it.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#2 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

is it really that big of a deal.. the guy got it im sure because of his experience level and leadership qualities
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#3 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

To me yes, but I understand I'm likely in the minority.

#4 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

he's the only guy showing up night after night............the other A's arent playing................I'm OK with it

#5 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Maybe it is a glass half full/half empty kind of thing. You say he hasn't earned it because it has only been 12 games, but maybe he has and it is just an example of what kind of guy he really is. Either way none of us will really know because we will never get to see into the locker room. I am sure they don't just hand those letters out to anyone.

815631765.gif

#6 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

To me yes, but I understand I'm likely in the minority.

i understand what your saying and why your saying it.. i just feel like whatever ya know..its a pitty A because elias is missing lol its not like its really his
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#7 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

he's the only guy showing up night after night............the other A's arent playing................I'm OK with it

Jagr and Gionta were the only ones giving a damn last night.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

He's been around and seen it all, and still, at his age, gives it his all in games in October.

Quite okay with him rocking an A, if even temporarily.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#9 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Normally I'd agree but we are talking about Jaromir Jagr here. One of the greatest players and characters the sport has ever seen.

#10 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

He's a short term Devil, yes, but he's one of the longest tenured guys in the NHL on this roster, I have no problem with him wearing the A for a game. If he were wearing it for the season, yeah I wouldn't like that, but it's just a temporary show of respect.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#11 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

He's our best player. Sad....

believe-zubrus.jpg

#12 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

He earned it in a way the other guys haven't. I don't care if he got here yesterday, this is a meritocracy.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#13 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

I get it, he has been one the best players on and I'm sure off the ice. I just feel like the captaincies belong to the franchise guys who have been there with the club. A captain should be a devil. I would've looked at guys like fayne, gionta, bernier, henrique. But I have no idea what goes on off the ice to merit any of those guys, just from what I see. I laughed when Minnesota gave Suter and parise letters the day they signed their contacts. What a completely disrespectful slap to the guys who had been there and fought through mediocrity for years.

#14 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

this is just a temporary thing

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I get it, he has been one the best players on and I'm sure off the ice. I just feel like the captaincies belong to the franchise guys who have been there with the club. A captain should be a devil. I would've looked at guys like fayne, gionta, bernier, henrique. But I have no idea what goes on off the ice to merit any of those guys, just from what I see. I laughed when Minnesota gave Suter and parise letters the day they signed their contacts. What a completely disrespectful slap to the guys who had been there and fought through mediocrity for years.

The a's have no deep meaning in this case. It's just the guys who talk to the refs during a game.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#16 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I never have a problem with the a's and c's because I feel the coaches/players have a much better idea of who should wear them than I do.

Plus I think fans make a much bigger deal of it than players do especially these fill ins... It's probably just case of we needed someone to wear them and deboer looked around and said the veterans with he best effort should get them.

#17 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Deserves it. Guy brings it every night. Really impressed with him so far. Obviously it's not a permanent thing

#18 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Because Stevens had been here forever when he got the c.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#19 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Because Stevens had been here forever when he got the c.

And irony of ironies, not only did he get it a year after getting here (and less than a year after refusing to report to the team because he didn't want to be here), he took it from a lifer in Bruce Driver.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#20 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

And irony of ironies, not only did he get it a year after getting here (and less than a year after refusing to report to the team because he didn't want to be here), he took it from a lifer in Bruce Driver.

He also was reluctant to come to the Devils.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users