41 replies to this topic

#21 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

And irony of ironies, not only did he get it a year after getting here (and less than a year after refusing to report to the team because he didn't want to be here), he took it from a lifer in Bruce Driver.

And you supported that at the time? I was an infant, so I had no opinion on the matter. I don't understand how the mistakes the organization made with the Scott Stevens issue twenty years ago has any relevancy. Just because he became a successful captain doesn't mean everything was handled properly.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#22 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

And you supported that at the time? I was an infant, so I had no opinion on the matter. I don't understand how the mistakes the organization made with the Scott Stevens issue twenty years ago has any relevancy. Just because he became a successful captain doesn't mean everything was handled properly.

It has relevancy because the greatest captain in our team's history got the C right after coming from a different franchise, which makes your argument, that the captain should be a guy who has been there long term, moot. 

Also, handled improperly? Lou fleeced St. Louis, won Stevens' loyalty, and the organization put petty bullsh!t aside when they realized her would make a great captain. The rest is history.

I'm not saying Jagr is the leader Stevens is, but there is a ton of evidence that he's a great leader, he's playing well and playing hard, when some of the Devils seem not to be. He was rewarded for this, and the idea that he shouldn't be, because he happened to play somewhere else last year, especially when the team has a ton of injuries, and no one else is really stepping up, is ridiculous.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#23 Christmas Tree

Christmas Tree

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

It's the same reason he's able to wear his #68. He's a living NHL Legend. Any team should be honored to have him sporting a letter.

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

It's the same reason he's able to wear his #68. He's a living NHL Legend. Any team should be honored to have him sporting a letter.

i would love to snag up a jagr game worn jersey but theyve gotta be a few grand easy.. not in my budget
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

The Stevens situation does not affect my point at all. Just because Stevens was a great captain doesn't mean whatever star waltzes onto the ice with a new jersey deserves a letter. It belongs to hard working franchise guys who lead on and off the ice. Just, because Scott Stevens got it after a year doesn't mean the C should be thrown around to whatever big name decides too sign a contact. I also have a problem with Jagr wearing 68. I dont care who it is, if youre going to play anywhere, you should comply with the standards of that club.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 03 November 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#26 Christmas Tree

Christmas Tree

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

The Stevens situation does not affect my point at all. Just because Stevens was a great captain doesn't mean whatever star waltzes onto the ice with a new jersey deserves a letter. It belongs to hard working franchise guys who lead on and off the ice. Just, because Scott Stevens got it after a year doesn't mean the C should be thrown around to whatever big name decides too sign a contact. I also have a problem with Jagr wearing 68. I dont care who it is, if youre going to play anywhere, you should comply with the standards of that club.

I like the strict number policy, with exceptions for future Hall of Famers. Gilmour was allowed, Mogilny was allowed, and no one is going to tell Jagr not to wear #68. If the Devils had ever gotten Mario Lemieux or Gretzky, they would have been wearing #66 and #99. The rule is there so only the legends can wear the numbers, in rare cases, but Joe Rookie is not allowed to wear, say, #77.

Edited by Christmas Tree, 03 November 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#27 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

It belongs to hard working franchise guys who lead on and off the ice. 

What Devil, who fits that description, was deprived of a letter by it going to Jagr, who is one of the hardest workers in the league, a respected leader for multiple franchises, and the Devils best player for the first month of the season? The only issue anyone can have with Jagr is he hasn't been here long. IMO that doesn't matter, and Stevens is just one of many players who have quickly been rewarded for having a positive impact on their respective franchises. In that locker room, Jagr is a leader, and based on what we, as fans, are able to see, we should be glad of that.

I also have a problem with Jagr wearing 68. I dont care who it is, if youre going to play anywhere, you should comply with the standards of that club.

Also, he wears the number 68 in honor of his grandfather, who died in 1968 as a political prisoner. Some things are bigger than hockey.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#28 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

He's played like a "captain" since about Game 3, only guy that's shown up consistently. I'd say he was the right choice for an A at this point.

#29 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

We look like sh!t, can't score and aren't good and you're worried about things like this?  Wow..

Posted Image Posted Image

#30 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

Every time i read TG's Blog there are positive comments from everyone concerning Jag's attitude and how he carries himself. I have no problem with it.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#31 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Like I said, I understand Im in the minority here. And sure, the number thing isn't a huge deal, and I'm fully aware other big names have received the same exemptions. but, I still don't think it's right to give anyone that treatment as if they are better than keeping to club standards.

#32 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

No one on the team is more of a leader then jagr with the exception of Elias,Marty or sal.

#33 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Just though it was interesting with zajac back tonight deboer decided to keep the a on jagr and not zubrus.

Obviously when patty is back it's his but I wonder what if any reasoning went into jagr keeping it and not zubie.

#34 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just though it was interesting with zajac back tonight deboer decided to keep the a on jagr and not zubrus.
Obviously when patty is back it's his but I wonder what if any reasoning went into jagr keeping it and not zubie.

well not only is he 3 times the player zubrus is but im sure he probably has better leadership qualities.. obviously only guessing at that but i feel like you can just kind of tell that the guy is one of the leaders on the team.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#35 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I like Zubie and I'm not bashing him here...but he's been MIA for most of this season

#36 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I like Zubie and I'm not bashing him here...but he's been MIA for most of this season

i felt like he was MIA for most of the last season as well
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#37 Rogan The Goat

Rogan The Goat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

i felt like he was MIA for most of the last season as well

Remember he came off of injury and he wasn't 100%.

#38 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Wasn't Kovalchuk given the A right away?

Devils.

#39 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

I have a maniacal friend who is suggesting when Patty comes back Jagr will retain his A and Greene will lose his

I told him he is insane

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#40 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

He is 41 and definetely a leader... He play like he care... So yes he deserves it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users