Photo

If the team continues to struggle, does Lou start to feel the heat?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

He isn't as good as Kovalchuk, imo, and he's not worth the money Minny offered him, but they don't make the finals if they trade him. I don't get how that's tough to understand.

And all being a GM is a series of leaps of faith. Sometimes you get your way, sometimes you don't. More often than not, Lou has gotten his way, partially because his way works.

thats my one and only point. It's a fact that in certain situations with some players, talking during the season would help on many levels. Lou is closing that door / throwing away that tool for absolutely no good reason. Thats gone, if there's ever a positive benefit of one talk during the season. NJ will never ever ever get that benefit. It's simply not a good business model to refuse to use all the tools that you have. 

Thing is here most people tend to adjust what make sense in their minds based on what Lou would do, not the logical business way. Of course Lou is a genius so there's way more goods than bad in his thinking IMO. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#182 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

thats my one and only point. It's a fact that in certain situations with some players, talking during the season would help on many levels. Lou is closing that door / throwing away that tool for absolutely no good reason. Thats gone, if there's ever a positive benefit of one talk during the season. NJ will never ever ever get that benefit. It's simply not a good business model to refuse to use all the tools that you have. 

Thing is here most people tend to adjust what make sense in their minds based on what Lou would do, not the logical business way. Of course Lou is a genius so there's way more goods than bad in his thinking IMO.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2308828

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#183 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Or negotiating contracts mid-season is a distraction that Lou would rather avoid, and not doing so has never cost us a player, so why would he start now?

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#184 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Or negotiating contracts mid-season is a distraction that Lou would rather avoid, and not doing so has never cost us a player, so why would he start now?

At a certain point, these are things that have driven all Devils fans nuts. We've heard sideways comments about this policy from players before. Let's not pretend that just because SD happens to be a broken record on the topic that we all fully agree with the policy. I've been on this and other Devils boards in one form or another since 1997 and I remember all manner of fans even during the heart of the Devils heyday as a semi-dynasty grumbling about perceived mistreatment of guys by not at least talking turkey with them until the season was over and until the last minute. Lou is an amazing GM, but this is one policy I'm not entirely sure I agree with. I don't necessarily think that I buy into the distraction factor, because I fail to see how it has distracted players on other teams who have resigned contracts mid-season.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#185 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I remember hearing a quote from a certain Devils player during an interview one winter, he said "the balls been in Lou's court for a while, I don't know what he's waiting for"

and that player left for big money come July.

Many people said...well he's not worth that kind of money anyway (which was true), but if Lou offered him a decent contract while the ball was in his court, maybe he could have kept that free agent in NJ for a while longer.

#186 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,738 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

I remember hearing a quote from a certain Devils player during an interview one winter, he said "the balls been in Lou's court for a while, I don't know what he's waiting for"

and that player left for big money come July.

Many people said...well he's not worth that kind of money anyway (which was true), but if Lou offered him a decent contract while the ball was in his court, maybe he could have kept that free agent in NJ for a while longer.

Any player who wants big money in July is going to go to July either way. Them saying that "i'm waiting, ball's in Lou's court" is their way of pressuring Lou into paying them big before free agency. It doesn't work on him. Elias said the same exact thing, and re-signed twice.

They aren't going to sign for less than they think they can make on the market.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#187 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Any player who wants big money in July is going to go to July either way. Them saying that "i'm waiting, ball's in Lou's court" is their way of pressuring Lou into paying them big before free agency. It doesn't work on him. Elias said the same exact thing, and re-signed twice.

They aren't going to sign for less than they think they can make on the market.

That may be true, but it also may not be true. We don't know that. Not even Lou actually knows that for certain. Contract negotiations are tricky. That's why people get paid good money to represent people's interests in them. Everyone has their own style and strategies and it really is impossible to say whether one person's style is most effective or not because every situation is different.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#188 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

That may be true, but it also may not be true. We don't know that. Not even Lou actually knows that for certain. Contract negotiations are tricky. That's why people get paid good money to represent people's interests in them. Everyone has their own style and strategies and it really is impossible to say whether one person's style is most effective or not because every situation is different.

exactly ....you hit the nail on the head

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users