#221 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

I said 3 months from now

How can they be worse than right now, later?  They're starting to get goaltending, the defense is solid, and you can't lose every shootout.  It's one of maxpower's typical 'chance doesn't exist' viewpoints.

Tonight's game was enjoyable because NJ got a bunch of scoring chances - this wasn't a 19 shot affair.  The PP was horrible mostly, but oh well - hopefully Elias coming back fixes that a bit.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#222 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

3 out of 4 points on road games on back to back nights is pretty good. Should have come away with two points, but the team has been playing pretty good hockey for the last 3 weeks. A win against Nashville would complete a pretty damn solid weekend. 

+

Schneider

Larsson

Jagr

Greene

Loktioniov

Zubrus

-

Finishing

Harrold

ZIDLICKY

Toronto's diving antics

#223 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

I said 3 months from now

My bad.

4 points no? 

behind montreal no?

We're 3 points behind the Rags for 3rd place in the division.

How can they be worse than right now, later?  They're starting to get goaltending, the defense is solid, and you can't lose every shootout.  It's one of maxpower's typical 'chance doesn't exist' viewpoints.

Tonight's game was enjoyable because NJ got a bunch of scoring chances - this wasn't a 19 shot affair.  The PP was horrible mostly, but oh well - hopefully Elias coming back fixes that a bit.

Perfectly said Triumph.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#224 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

They're starting this year where they left off last season.    No 5 on 5 scoring to speak off and no ability to win a game that lasts longer than 60 minutes.   In this format that isn't completely the end of the world, but still...   they have no go to guy, no finisher.   You look at the Leafs game and Kessel gets that one good chance and there's a goal.    You watch the Devils play and they control and can't score.   You can say that's bad luck and the numbers should even out, but the problem is they don't have those one or two guys that will consistently score.

That and they have a "doom switch" portion of the schedule coming up.   I am loathe to go out to California.   So games like this are frustrating when you have a game that plays out as a win on paper, but turns out to be a point.

Edited by maxpower, 09 November 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#225 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

They're starting this year where they left off last season.    No 5 on 5 scoring to speak off and no ability to win a game that lasts longer than 60 minutes.   In this format that isn't completely the end of the world, but still...   they have no go to guy, no finisher.   You look at the Leafs game and Kessel gets that one good chance and there's a goal.    You watch the Devils play and they control and can't score.   You can say that's bad luck and the numbers should even out, but the problem is they don't have those one or two guys that will consistently score.

That and they have a "doom switch" portion of the schedule coming up.   I am loathe to go out to California.   So games like this are frustrating when you have a game that plays out as a win on paper, but turns out to be a point.

No one has 'one or two guys that will consistently score'.  Consistent scoring is a myth.  That aside, the Devils aren't actually playing that great 5 on 5 so far this season (although tonight was pretty darn good).  

Shootout ability is ridiculously transient.  Overtime ability is ridiculously transient.  These are things subject to enormous doses of chance.

They're going to get more goals.  We know this.  We know this because teams don't sustain this shooting percentage over a full season.  Not expansion teams, not horrendous teams who might've been worse.  So we know the scoring will improve.  The trouble lately is that their best guys aren't getting enough shots - Ryder is a finisher and he's getting 1 shot a game.  Henrique's shot rate is way down.  You can go down the roster and mostly it's a lot of guys who just aren't getting enough pucks on net.  If these guys can start to pick it up shots-wise, and the Devils can move from being a 52% outshooting team to 56-57% when Elias comes back, it can be a team that gets enough goals to win games, if they get the goaltending.

#226 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

We need goal scoring.. BAD.  It's just become laughable.  

Posted Image Posted Image

#227 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:03 AM

Why can't guys like JVR and Patrick kane come "home" to play :(

I've always said that motherfcuk van Riemsdyk needs to play here. Some guys I played with in high school knew him and played against him back in the day. I've never heard him even hint at it though.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#228 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Since we are so bad on the shoot out maybe the devils try some different shooters. Maybe this is where Tedenby can shine.

#229 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

A point is a point. 3 out of third spot in the division. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#230 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

The only negative in that game for me was zidlicky. I know it will never happen but if I was the coach he is quickly playing himself off of the pp. he's absolutely horrendous gaining the zone and he's the one they rely in to do that about 75% if the time.

I swear with him it's either an offside or bad dump in that's immediately cleared every time.

Also volchenkov has to clear the puck in that pk don't be chipping it trying to get a Steven gionta short handed chance just clear the damn puck.

#231 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Well them and Toronto jointly - on both ends of the spectrum :P

Shootout ability is ridiculously transient.  Overtime ability is ridiculously transient.  These are things subject to enormous doses of chance.

The hideous shootouts are just emblematic of this team's lack of offensive firepower in total.  

No they shouldn't be 0-for-the season in the shootout but they really aren't that great at it anymore and running the same people out time after time isn't helping, especially Ryder.  He's like 6-37 career in the shootout yet they keep putting him out there.  They might as well put Jagr out even though he isn't much better in it at this point, maybe he can intimidate the other goalie into ****ing up.  

How is overtime up to chance?  Especially when the Devils would rather give Zubrus and other slowpokes shifts and leave their fastest skater (Tedenby) on the bench.  I'm probably his biggest skeptic here but if you're not going to let Tedenby skate when it's 4-on-4 and you're not 'losing' anything (especially when the shootout's basically a guaranteed non-point) then what's the point of having him in the lineup at all?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#232 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

Because the idea of the shootout as a non-point is absurd, and Tedenby can't cover his man 4 on 4.  Though Zubrus was awful in OT, can't deny that

Overtime has skill involved, but do you honestly think there are teams who are a 75% favorite over another in OT?  Of course not.  

#233 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Brian Rolston was known for just letting it rip in the shootout.  I would not be opposed to this.

agree with both of you, put him in and slap it from the slot

#234 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Love last night game... We got a point, but again we dont score goals...

Guys like zajac, loktionov, Brunner, Zubrus need to start scoring if we want to be a playoff team

#235 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

I said 3 months from now

You mean from the thought process of dropping points now is going to kill us later?
Happy to get somewhat of a point streak going. Baby steps guys. We will start getting results playing lockdown defense. Wanted to see more point shots with traffic in this one

#236 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

You mean from the thought process of dropping points now is going to kill us later?
Happy to get somewhat of a point streak going. Baby steps guys. We will start getting results playing lockdown defense. Wanted to see more point shots with traffic in this one

What results are they going to get the next eight games with this offense?  We should have been shut out three of the last four games and now we've got this lovely schedule on the docket:

Nashville Sunday, at Rangers (who've done a complete turnaround) Tuesday, Kings Friday, Pens Saturday, at Anaheim on the 20th, at LA on the 21st, at San Jose on the 23rd and then even after the West Coast trip of doom they have to run home and play the Jets just two nights later, and the Jets have owned us with their speed the last two years even when we're not trip-lagged.  Tomorrow is ginormous, they have to win that or they could really be buried by Thanksgiving.  They might be buried even with a win against the Preds over the next seven.  The best case you can really see in that stretch is maybe one win and two more SO losses.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 November 2013 - 09:34 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#237 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Love last night game... We got a point, but again we dont score goals...

Guys like zajac, loktionov, Brunner, Zubrus need to start scoring if we want to be a playoff team

what happened to this guy brunner he started off on fire and now hes the invisible man.. i hope he doesnt end up being as useless as he looks lately
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#238 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

What results are they going to get the next eight games with this offense? We should have been shut out three of the last four games and now we've got this lovely schedule on the docket:

Nashville Sunday, at Rangers (who've done a complete turnaround) Tuesday, Kings Friday, Pens Saturday, at Anaheim on the 20th, at LA on the 21st, at San Jose on the 23rd and then even after the West Coast trip of doom they have to run home and play the Jets just two nights later, and the Jets have owned us with their speed the last two years even when we're not trip-lagged. Tomorrow is ginormous, they have to win that or they could really be buried by Thanksgiving. They might be buried even with a win against the Preds over the next seven. The best case you can really see in that stretch is maybe one win and two more SO losses.

Jesus Has, lol you're really in full doomsday preparation. Just have to believe in how strong they've been playing defense lately that the goals will come. Offense comes from good defense and they are playing it right now. Plus let's see how they look with patty back before we write them off

#239 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

what happened to this guy brunner he started off on fire and now hes the invisible man.. i hope he doesnt end up being as useless as he looks
lately

Brunner had a better game. 4 shots it's nothing to sneeze at

#240 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

what happened to this guy brunner he started off on fire and now hes the invisible man.. i hope he doesnt end up being as useless as he looks lately

Brunner is a streaky player.  We're gonna have to live with it.  I haven't seen many games where I didn't notice him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users