258 replies to this topic

#241 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

No one has 'one or two guys that will consistently score'. Consistent scoring is a myth. That aside, the Devils aren't actually playing that great 5 on 5 so far this season (although tonight was pretty darn good).

Shootout ability is ridiculously transient. Overtime ability is ridiculously transient. These are things subject to enormous doses of chance.

They're going to get more goals. We know this. We know this because teams don't sustain this shooting percentage over a full season. Not expansion teams, not horrendous teams who might've been worse. So we know the scoring will improve. The trouble lately is that their best guys aren't getting enough shots - Ryder is a finisher and he's getting 1 shot a game. Henrique's shot rate is way down. You can go down the roster and mostly it's a lot of guys who just aren't getting enough pucks on net. If these guys can start to pick it up shots-wise, and the Devils can move from being a 52% outshooting team to 56-57% when Elias comes back, it can be a team that gets enough goals to win games, if they get the goaltending.

You had like 10 "if's" in there.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#242 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Put simply, they cannot score.   This is the team that will put fenwick and corsi in their graves.

They're starting this year where they left off last season.    No 5 on 5 scoring to speak off and no ability to win a game that lasts longer than 60 minutes.   In this format that isn't completely the end of the world, but still...   they have no go to guy, no finisher.   You look at the Leafs game and Kessel gets that one good chance and there's a goal.    You watch the Devils play and they control and can't score.   You can say that's bad luck and the numbers should even out, but the problem is they don't have those one or two guys that will consistently score.

That and they have a "doom switch" portion of the schedule coming up.   I am loathe to go out to California.   So games like this are frustrating when you have a game that plays out as a win on paper, but turns out to be a point.

The team that was 29th in goals for won the SC two seasons ago.

Michael Ryder is a natural finisher.  Brunner as well.

I predicted they'd lose to the Leafs.  The fact we got a point out of it is a bonus.  Not many people predicted a win last night.

Yea and so does every team in the league.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#243 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

They've dug a hole.  If they hadn't dug a hole, a lot of these ifs wouldn't be necessary, because how they're playing now they're going to win games, and at the very least get points in more games than they don't get points.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#244 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've always said that motherfcuk van Riemsdyk needs to play here. Some guys I played with in high school knew him and played against him back in the day. I've never heard him even hint at it though.

JVR grew up a big Rangers fan, don't think coming to play for NJD would be home except for the whole living in NJ part. Great player though, I'd take him in a second.

#245 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

JVR grew up a big Rangers fan, don't think coming to play for NJD would be home except for the whole living in NJ part. Great player though, I'd take him in a second.

Jvr is a smug jerk.

#246 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Gelinas looked great. Even Teddy is looking good, not putting any in net but he's giving us tons of chances (he's even setting others up)

We matched Torontos intensity last night and that was the main thing I was worried about. It doesn't need to be said but boy is our shootout all. OUr skaters are 0-11 on shots this year lol

Edited by Onddeck, 09 November 2013 - 02:09 PM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#247 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Even Teddy is looking good, not putting any in net but he's giving us tons of chances (he's even seeing others up)

He's even getting shifts in the third period these days!

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#248 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,676 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

Jesus Has, lol you're really in full doomsday preparation. Just have to believe in how strong they've been playing defense lately that the goals will come. Offense comes from good defense and they are playing it right now. Plus let's see how they look with patty back before we write them off

They played great defensively last year and couldn't score.  Great defense only helps you score if you have any kind of a transition game/speed/skill up front, which we don't.

The haven't proven they're a good team, with or without Elias - they have four wins in sixteen games.  This schedule wasn't designed to be able to overcome a bad start.  I just get nuts when people say every time well we got a point, bfd...we have to start getting wins and soon.  That's not just bad luck/whatever in OT/SO, that's ending games before it gets to that point.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 November 2013 - 02:55 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#249 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

They played great defensively last year and couldn't score. Great defense only helps you score if you have any kind of a transition game/speed/skill up front, which we don't.

The haven't proven they're a good team, with or without Elias - they have four wins in sixteen games. This schedule wasn't designed to be able to overcome a bad start. I just get nuts when people say every time well we got a point, bfd...we have to start getting wins and soon. That's not just bad luck/whatever in OT/SO, that's ending games before it gets to that point.

Yes but keeping the score low at least gives them something to work with. The compete level was there last night. If they were getting their doors blown off in all three phases that would be one thing, but they were taking the play to them. I'm just inclined to believe that this team will turn it around, although I have little evidence to support how they've been playing differently lately
Just a much better "feel" to the game

#250 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Zajac is like an enigma on this team. He's been playing some of the best off puck hockey of his career this season, but in the offensive zone he can't buy a goal. I really hope luck starts changing for him before his confidence gets so low that he doesn't even play defense any more

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#251 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Zajac is like an enigma on this team. He's been playing some of the best off puck hockey of his career this season, but in the offensive zone he can't buy a goal. I really hope luck starts changing for him before his confidence gets so low that he doesn't even play defense any more

lol if that was to happen he would be completely useless to say the least..his defensive game is really the only thing keeping him afloat so to say
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#252 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

They played great defensively last year and couldn't score.  Great defense only helps you score if you have any kind of a transition game/speed/skill up front, which we don't.

The haven't proven they're a good team, with or without Elias - they have four wins in sixteen games.  This schedule wasn't designed to be able to overcome a bad start.  I just get nuts when people say every time well we got a point, bfd...we have to start getting wins and soon.  That's not just bad luck/whatever in OT/SO, that's ending games before it gets to that point.

The team that won the Cup 2 years ago was 29th in goals scored.  Yes they got off to a better start than we have this year, but they didn't get off to a good start either.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#253 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

The team that won the Cup 2 years ago was 29th in goals scored.  Yes they got off to a better start than we have this year, but they didn't get off to a good start either.

thing is they had the talent and the team and everyone around the world we're thinking, "wtf is wrong with the Kings they should be better than this!" they we're simply having a bad time.

Now, it sucks to say but the Devils are exactly where the whole world had them based on the team they have. We might have been in denial and homer a little saying they we're clueless and bla bla

of course every year we heard that the devils would sink and they didnt but now its time.

we're still really close though we just have to get on a winning streak and we're in, but we simply cannot score. Again we may say shootout sucks and all, it's still a good indicator, it's one guy all alone with a goalie. And we can't score, not even in practice. Thats a very bad sign

www.SterioDesign.com

#254 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

thing is they had the talent and the team and everyone around the world we're thinking, "wtf is wrong with the Kings they should be better than this!" they we're simply having a bad time.

Now, it sucks to say but the Devils are exactly where the whole world had them based on the team they have. We might have been in denial and homer a little saying they we're clueless and bla bla

of course every year we heard that the devils would sink and they didnt but now its time.

we're still really close though we just have to get on a winning streak and we're in, but we simply cannot score. Again we may say shootout sucks and all, it's still a good indicator, it's one guy all alone with a goalie. And we can't score, not even in practice. Thats a very bad sign

If you look at what the Kings had that year, they really only had Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, and Richards.  They went and got Jeff Carter later on in the year and changed coaches as well.  Only 3 guys scored 20 goals for that team.  Quick basically had to carry that team for 4 months of the season.  March and April they took off, and that momentum carried over into the playoffs.

If you look at the Devils.  We have 4 guys who will probably have 20 goals by the end of the year.  Henrique, Ryder, Brunner, and Elias.  Elias is basically comparable to Kopitar.  Ryder is comparable to Jeff Carter.  Brunner and Henrique are comparable to Richards and Brown.  From the blueline, while right now nobody is on Doughty's level, Larsson is the guy who has the potential to be a Doughty like player.

Was what the Kings did an anomaly?  Of course it was.  But they proved it's not impossible.  People were predicting the Kings to be good back in 2012, but they were never predicted to be a good offensive team.  And they weren't a good offensive team.  The defense and goaltending was what everybody loved about the Kings.  We too have a very good defense and goaltending.  The Kings had a few losing streaks in their season that were 4 and 5 games long.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#255 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

lol if that was to happen he would be completely useless to say the least..his defensive game is really the only thing keeping him afloat so to say

He played an incredible game last night.   In all zones.

#256 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I bet shootout results have almost no correlation to offensive stats on the team level.  You know how I know that?  The Devils have been good at them.

Edited by Triumph, 09 November 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#257 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

He played an incredible game last night.   In all zones.

He was on for 1 Leafs shot attempt at 5 on 5.

#258 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

I bet shootout results have almost no correlation to offensive stats on the team level.  You know how I know that?  The Devils have been good at them.

Yea there's no correlation between skill level and shootouts.  Clowe is almost 40% in shootouts.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#259 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

He was on for 1 Leafs shot attempt at 5 on 5.

Total domination.   And he ended up playing to a draw.  lol.   You can see why I might have been a little depressed after that game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users