243 replies to this topic

#221 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I usually like Boomer Esiason on the WFAN (can't stand Carton), but if he's going to try to talk hockey (he's a Ranger fan), he should at least pay attention to what's going on.

He basically said the Rangers shouldn't be losing to a team like the Devils, who he called "one of the worst teams in the league".  Seems like he thinks the season is still seven games old or so.

Here's how the two teams stand:

Rangers:  18 GP, 9-9-0, 41 GF, 49 GA  (-8)

Devils:  18 GP, 6-7-5, 38 GF, 46 GA (-8)...but as four of those GA are phantom goals for losing shootouts, the Devils are really -4 in goal differential. 

Both teams are playing better lately...Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP and the Rags had won 6 of 7 coming in.  Overall it's not hard to see why they're within a point of one another...they've both had some good games, some bad ones, and some issues overall...that's how you get to be about .500.  They both had rough schedules to start their seasons as well (lots of road games for both teams). 

But to make it sound like the Rangers should be beating the Devils like they're some bottom-feeder is pretty dumb.  Not sure why being a Ranger fan, no matter what your background, requires checking your brain at the door.

I heard that too this morning.  He's such a typical Rags fan, its not even funny.  I could only laugh when the Devils fan from LI called in and basically shut him up when he pointed out the "terrible" Devils are only 1 point behind the Rags and beat them twice already this year. 

Also, can someone please teach that fool how to use the cough button.  If I hear him clear his throat 1 more time on the air, I might reach through the radio and pull out his vocal cords.

Posted Image

#222 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

I have yet to meet a more delusional fanbase than Rags fans.  Seriously they act as if they have the right to be douches like Yankees and Giants fans just because they're the "main" hockey team in this area.  Yankees fans are douches for sure (I am one btw).  But at least they have a reason to be.  Giants fans are the same way.  Rags fans feel as if they have the same right as the two aforementioned teams.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#223 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Someone should call in and ask Boomer if he's seen the video on YouTube about the Rangers- its called 74 Years, One Cup.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#224 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I heard that too this morning.  He's such a typical Rags fan, its not even funny.  I could only laugh when the Devils fan from LI called in and basically shut him up when he pointed out the "terrible" Devils are only 1 point behind the Rags and beat them twice already this year. 

Also, can someone please teach that fool how to use the cough button.  If I hear him clear his throat 1 more time on the air, I might reach through the radio and pull out his vocal cords.

I don't think Boomer keeps track of the NHL as closely as he'd lead one to believe...I think he's a casual Ranger fan who probably watches a fair amount of Ranger games, but not much else re: the NHL, including the locals.  I'm guessing he probably thought the Devils had 3 or 4 wins, max...he was probably genuinely surprised that the Devils were 6-7-5 after beating the Rangers.

But it's like I said, if you're going to do a monologue about the Devil-Ranger game on a sports station that has its share of Devil fans, better know what the hell you're talking about.  Boomer sounded like an amateur idiot...a true Ranger fan wouldn't have to be told that the Devils are only one point behind his team with the same number of games played.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 November 2013 - 07:33 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#225 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

I don't think Boomer keeps track of the NHL as closely as he'd lead one to believe...I think he's a casual Ranger fan who probably watches a fair amount of Ranger games, but not much else re: the NHL, including the locals. I'm guessing he probably thought the Devils had 3 or 4 wins, max...he was probably genuinely surprised that the Devils were 6-7-5 after beating the Rangers.

But it's like I said, if you're going to do a monologue about the Devil-Ranger game on a sports station that has its share of Devil fans, better know what the hell you're talking about. Boomer sounded like an amateur idiot...a true Ranger fan wouldn't have to be told that the Devils are only one point behind his team with the same number of games played.

Boomer's a legit Rangers fan in terms of his interest in the team, I know he has season tickets and goes to a lot of games and he always talks about how he slingboxes the Rags games when he's on the road calling Monday Night Football. But I think you're right about him not following the rest of the league as closely. He's a classic case of a fan who follows his own team but doesn't really know much about the 29 others.

#226 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Has it ever been confirmed that Don La Greca is a Devils fan?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#227 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

He's never hidden it. He used to host the Ranger radio broadcast post game call-ins where Ranger fans would acknowledge he's a Devils fan. He also talked about watching Kovy's first game on his sling box while at dinner with espn execs.

Someone claimed he has a Devils tattoo, but don't know about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Daniel, 13 November 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#228 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

La Greca's a huge Devils fan. Dude has a Devils tattoo.

#229 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

He's never hidden it. He used to host the Ranger radio broadcast post game call-ins where Ranger fans would acknowledge he's a Devils fan. He also talked about watching Kovy's first game on his sling box while at dinner with espn execs. Someone claimed he has a Devils tattoo, but don't know about that.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He does have the tattoo- I remember he showed it to a bunch of fans after game 7 in 2003. He was saying how he needed to add another Cup because it was the Devils logo with 2 Cups.

#230 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

We ever get any updates on Volch?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#231 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

La Greca's a huge Devils fan. Dude has a Devils tattoo.

Man so many Devils fans hate him though.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#232 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

We ever get any updates on Volch?

only thing ive heard was that it was lower body pulled something i believe and that was it havent heard anything more.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#233 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

LaGreca has a Devils tattoo on his leg I think, posted a pic of it a long time ago, can't seem to find it though.

#234 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,313 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Man so many Devils fans hate him though.

They do?  Never heard that before.

#235 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

They do? Never heard that before.

Probably because he does Ranger games. It annoys me too, but its a job for him. What's he supposed to say, 'No, I don't want to do play-by-play for an NHL team and advance my career'? He's a great professional, I'll give him that lol.

#236 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Probably because he does Ranger games. It annoys me too, but its a job for him. What's he supposed to say, 'No, I don't want to do play-by-play for an NHL team and advance my career'? He's a great professional, I'll give him that lol.

Still I've never heard hate. Maybe something like "It'd be nice if he did Devils radio" But never what I'd describe as hate

#237 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Still I've never heard hate. Maybe something like "It'd be nice if he did Devils radio" But never what I'd describe as hate

A lot of HF posters hate him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#238 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,313 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

A lot of HF posters hate him.

Figures

HF boards is nothing but a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

#239 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Figures

HF boards is nothing but a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

What about HF don't you like?  I just hate how that site is moderated.  I still can't figure out what I did to deserve like 90% of my infractions.  I basically got myself permanently banned on purpose because of it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#240 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

What about HF don't you like?  I just hate how that site is moderated.  I still can't figure out what I did to deserve like 90% of my infractions.  I basically got myself permanently banned on purpose because of it.

not to jump into other peoples conversations, ...but I got banned from HF cause I called the Carolina Hurricane fans a bunch of drunks (in the Devil forum talking about a topic not even related to the Canes) and the infraction came from the Minnesota Wild thread moderator no less and this was years before Parise-gate!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users