52 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Wow revisionist history. Kovalchuk was far from "the leagues best pker"and was out there for the sole purpose of trying to get a breakaway.

To trade Larsson now when he is finally coming into his own is just foolish. If he keeps this up in 2 years he will be looked at on the same level as subban, and I guarantee you habs fans would laugh at a possible subban for yakopov swap.

No, Josh is right, Kovalchuk was one of the league's best PK forwards over the last two years.  When Kovalchuk was on the ice on the PK, the Devils had 40% of the total goals scored by either team, which is an insane percentage, and they had a very good shots on goal ratio too.  The Devils usually put him on when the 2nd unit was out there but still.

Edited by Triumph, 12 November 2013 - 10:56 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

No, Josh is right, Kovalchuk was one of the league's best PK forwards over the last two years. When Kovalchuk was on the ice on the PK, the Devils had 40% of the total goals scored by either team, which is an insane percentage, and they had a very good shots on goal ratio too. The Devils usually put him on when the 2nd unit was out there but still.

kovy was good in the pk because other teams had to respect his ability on the breakaway. Over a longer period than 1 season I'm not confident that the results would be the same. And deboer knew this too, as he was used as the fifth forward on the pk behind parise Elias zubrus and henrique.

He was effective but he wasn't even used as a top 4 pker on his own team, so how can he be the "best pker in the league"?

#23 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

We turned Kovalchuk into the league's best PKer and a responsible player in the defensive end. Defense can be taught, offense is much more challenging.

That's the point though.  Unlike Kovy, Yakupov (apparently) has no interest in learning to be a responsible 3 zone player, and just wants to go out there and play his game.  We have never been that kind of team and, thankfully, never will be.  Plus, since we have very few top end prospects that we all would assume would have to go the other way in a trade, giving one up on a boom or bust player like Yakupov would be a huge gamble that this francise cannot afford at this point. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 12 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Posted Image

#24 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Figured you'd find a way to work that in.  Nice job.  :doh1:  :rolleyes:

Well can you agree that it's the last risk we should make based on recent history? "the russian factor" is something legit we've seen guys dropping in drafts because of that. And Yakupov has been rumoured to be in the KHL as soon as next season per some coach there. Could be nothing but i'd still not throw guys in a trade for him.

He's really good but seems really selfish, knock on him is that he's trying to do everything himself not trusting his teammates, not really a Devils kind of player

Edited by SterioDesign, 12 November 2013 - 11:33 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#25 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

If its for something like a 2nd round pick and Josefson why not?

#26 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

If its for something like a 2nd round pick and Josefson why not?

there's absolutely no way this could fetch Yakupov

www.SterioDesign.com

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

kovy was good in the pk because other teams had to respect his ability on the breakaway. Over a longer period than 1 season I'm not confident that the results would be the same. And deboer knew this too, as he was used as the fifth forward on the pk behind parise Elias zubrus and henrique.

He was effective but he wasn't even used as a top 4 pker on his own team, so how can he be the "best pker in the league"?

It lasted for a season and a half.  

The Devils didn't want to overuse him on the PK but he was one of the most effective forwards in the league. The Devils got 20% of the total shots taken when he was on the ice, again, an incredibly high percentage.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

It lasted for a season and a half.

The Devils didn't want to overuse him on the PK but he was one of the most effective forwards in the league. The Devils got 20% of the total shots taken when he was on the ice, again, an incredibly high percentage.

I understand he was effective and I respect the statistics, but for the purposes of the thread josh had used kovy as a bastion of defensive prowess, when in fact there were at times six forwards on the roster who were used in key defensive situations ahead if him.

I suppose maybe my argument comes down to semantics when I disagree that kovy who was effective in the pk was not the best pker in the league.

On topic, the fact that kovy was able to buy slightly into a more defensive minded system by no means should encourage us to go out and grab any high skill offensive players, especially at the cost if high end defensemen. For evidence just look at the Brunner thread.

#29 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

He's got 2 goals 2 assist's in 17 games and is a team worst -14                How is this kid considered so offensively gifted ?

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Well can you agree that it's the last risk we should make based on recent history? "the russian factor" is something legit we've seen guys dropping in drafts because of that. And Yakupov has been rumoured to be in the KHL as soon as next season per some coach there. Could be nothing but i'd still not throw guys in a trade for him.

He's really good but seems really selfish, knock on him is that he's trying to do everything himself not trusting his teammates, not really a Devils kind of player

I didn't say anything about being for or against the Devils making a move for him.  I was referring to you making yet another comment about the Devils losing a player for nothing, because apparently that only happens to the Devils and Lou and no one else.  Or so you make it seem.

re:  Yapukov, I think the Devils should just sit tight for the moment.  Keep playing Larsson, Gelinas...hopefully Merrill will be back before too long.  I pointed this out in the Nashville GDT, but the Devils are 5-3-2 in their last 10.  Yeah, they've got issues, but the Schedule from Hell part of their season is almost over, and they could escape with a .500ish record by the time it's over, after having gone 0-4-3 to start the season.  I want to see what the current group can do with some home cookin'.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

I didn't say anything about being for or against the Devils making a move for him.  I was referring to you making yet another comment about the Devils losing a player for nothing, because apparently that only happens to the Devils and Lou and no one else.  Or so you make it seem.

re:  Yapukov, I think the Devils should just sit tight for the moment.  Keep playing Larsson, Gelinas...hopefully Merrill will be back before too long.  I pointed this out in the Nashville GDT, but the Devils are 5-3-2 in their last 10.  Yeah, they've got issues, but the Schedule from Hell part of their season is almost over, and they could escape with a .500ish record by the time it's over, after having gone 0-4-3 to start the season.  I want to see what the current group can do with some home cookin'.

I didnt just throw it out there just to throw it out there, it's a main reason why i wouldnt want to risk more assets even for a high risk high reward. Losing $100 gambling is no big deal on its own, but if you already lost $5,000 in the last few weeks then its different. And you're exaggerating with that stuff about me, calm down. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 12 November 2013 - 12:11 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#32 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Oh man, can you imagine if the Devils threw Larsson away for Yak only for him to flee to the KHL*?

I'm cringing just imagining it :lol:

edit: KHL, not NHL

Edited by Devilsfan118, 12 November 2013 - 01:40 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#33 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Oh man, can you imagine if the Devils threw Larsson away for Yak only for him to flee to the NHL?

I'm cringing just imagining it :lol:

even if yakopov was guaranteed to stay I still wouldn't make the deal. Like I said a top pairing d is much harder to find than a winger, never mind a winger who obviously has some attitude issues and who is not a fit at all for our system and organization.

#34 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yakupov's attitude is a major turnoff.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#35 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

If he plays his way out of Edmonton and is considered a flight risk teams wouldn't offer alot for him

#36 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

The only reason I agree with this is because he's still so young. Other than that though, we have seen some crazy sh!t, recently even. Schneider for a 1st? When other teams offered more, maybe lou could work magic. TBH tho, I don't want this guy, he won't work on our team what so ever. I'm pretty sure he would be a healthy scratch every night for as long as deboer is our head coach as well.

As for trading larson or even gelinas, I mean your potentially looking at our top D-pairing in a few years. Why would you wanna break that up, we have the potential to have a very good core of defensemen (merril, larson, gelinas) and a top tier goalie. That is a recipe for wins in my opinion, I don't want to trade away any pieces of our future right now.

#37 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

I didn't say anything about being for or against the Devils making a move for him. I was referring to you making yet another comment about the Devils losing a player for nothing, because apparently that only happens to the Devils and Lou and no one else. Or so you make it seem.

re: Yapukov, I think the Devils should just sit tight for the moment. Keep playing Larsson, Gelinas...hopefully Merrill will be back before too long. I pointed this out in the Nashville GDT, but the Devils are 5-3-2 in their last 10. Yeah, they've got issues, but the Schedule from Hell part of their season is almost over, and they could escape with a .500ish record by the time it's over, after having gone 0-4-3 to start the season. I want to see what the current group can do with some home cookin'.

i agree and thankfully lou seems to agree as well.

We all knew coming in the first month was going to be tough schedule wise with the road trip, add on the fact that we have a lot of new faces that need to gel and have had some injuries.

Over the next month we'll find out if this team can compete for the playoffs. Until then I don't want to make any knee jerk moves.

#38 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Kovalchuk then abadoned his contract.  DId having to play defense have something to do with it?  I'm not sure, and I don't think we'll ever know that. 

i've heard it anecdotally reported as well as through a pretty good source that style of play was a not-insignificant reason to go to the khl. the biggest allure was the $ (no escrow) and fame was #2. but he certainly likes that he can coast and skate.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#39 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'd give up a lot of things not named Larsson for Yakupov.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#40 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

Want no part of Yakupov.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users