52 replies to this topic

#41 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Love how everyone is on the NEVER TRADE LARSSON boat now. Just the way it should have always been.

#42 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Love how everyone is on the NEVER TRADE LARSSON boat now. Just the way it should have always been.

Not even for Sidney Crosby?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#43 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Not even for Sidney Crosby?

That would never in a 1000 years happen. I meant more in the sense that it's highly unlikely that a deal would present itself where we get the better end if it involves trading Larsson. No one can ever really be untouchable if you want to be a smart GM, but some guys should not be moved unless you're really getting a deal and I think Larsson is that kind of player.

#44 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

I was just about to mention this.  2-4 weeks ago, half the board was declaring Larsson a bust and now all of the sudden the thought of trading him for a #1 draft pick is unimaginable.

#45 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I was just about to mention this. 2-4 weeks ago, half the board was declaring Larsson a bust and now all of the sudden the thought of trading him for a #1 draft pick is unimaginable.

I've only been a poster here for about a month after lurking a while and one if the reasons I started to post was precisely because I thought many here were down on Larsson too much.

I think most logical fans still realize we were very fortunate to nab him in that draft after winning the lotto in the only year we were eligible for it in 15 years.

#46 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I wouldn't say that, I just wouldn't trade him for Yakupov, in that the latter is flashing plenty of warning signs himself.

To put it in perspective, I would trade Larsson for Galchenyuk in a second, but would probably be laughed at by the Canadians.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#47 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

I wouldn't say that, I just wouldn't trade him for Yakupov, in that the latter is flashing plenty of warning signs himself.

To put it in perspective, I would trade Larsson for Galchenyuk in a second, but would probably be laughed at by the Canadians.

Are you serious?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#48 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Nice to see that the anti-Russia bias is alive and well.. You guys would turn down Ovechkin and Datsyuk because of "KHL flight risk" I'm sure..

I've been reading your rants on the forums and the chat room for two years now about how we're stacked on defensive prospects and how Larsson has been underperforming. Our team has been, and still is, offensively neutered since we lost Zach (and even more so when Kovy was out). Yet you're telling be you wouldn't give up one of those defensive prospects for Yakupov?? A runaway 1st overall pick with obvious elite offensive talents, which clearly is *exactly* what this team needs? 

Someone already said it; defense can be taught. Offense, at this level, is more about natural ability and talent.

I wouldn't worry though, there's no way the Oilers deal Yak for Larsson.

Posted Image

#49 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Nice to see that the anti-Russia bias is alive and well.. You guys would turn down Ovechkin and Datsyuk because of "KHL flight risk" I'm sure..

I've been reading your rants on the forums and the chat room for two years now about how we're stacked on defensive prospects and how Larsson has been underperforming. Our team has been, and still is, offensively neutered since we lost Zach (and even more so when Kovy was out). Yet you're telling be you wouldn't give up one of those defensive prospects for Yakupov?? A runaway 1st overall pick with obvious elite offensive talents, which clearly is *exactly* what this team needs?

Someone already said it; defense can be taught. Offense, at this level, is more about natural ability and talent.

where in this thread was there an anti-Russian bias? Several posters expressed interest in yakopov but said they wouldn't trade Larsson for him.

It's irresponsible to generalize and say "you" or "the board" pumps up our defensive prospects and knock Larsson... In fact there may only be a few select posters who feel this way.

And Edmonton is a perfect example of why Larsson should be kept. For years they've been pumping in young offensive talent but cannot find a defensive stud. We have what looks to be one, so I'm glad to keep him and take my chances finding wingers through fa.

Edited by dmann422, 12 November 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ovechkin has a long contract and Datsyuk just resigned here.  Meanwhile Yakupov has no reason to stay here - if he doesn't like where he's playing, at the end of his contract, he can just bounce.  If he thinks he's being mistreated or underpaid, nothing keeping him here besides the allure of playing in the NHL.

As for Yakupov's offensive talent, clearly he's got a tremendous shot, but his shot rate so far in the NHL is rather underwhelming.  I think he'll turn out to be quite a good player, but I'm not convinced at all that he will be a star.

I don't think Larsson will be a star either, but as I said upthread, when you look at Swedish contracts and Russian contracts, there is a stark difference in value, and I don't like the idea of critical players having other avenues they can seek out, especially not when Yakupov is a disaster in the defensive zone and would not fit at all into DeBoer's system.  So no, I wouldn't make that trade, even though I think Yakupov will most likely turn out better than Larsson. 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#51 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

huberdeau

Posted Image

#52 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well he wants to play in Edmonton. There not done dealing though so we'll see what they do. But he isn't worth larsson. No way.

#53 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

It's not anti-Russian bias to acknowledge that a player from Russia, whose style of play may be better suited for the KHL, and who has proved difficult to coach, might want to go back to Russia when his contract expires in the very near future. No one here said they wouldn't take Datsyuk. I think all of us would take Datsyuk in a heartbeat.

There are real instances of anti-Russian bias: any time someone claims a Russian is soft, even though Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are both physical players who take long shifts; someone who would actually turn down Datsyuk (Ovechkin different story, as I'm not sure he's a great fit for the system); concern about giving the C to a Russian (or other European for that matter). Acknowledging that a Russian player, especially one who is picking up a reputation as a malcontent, might want to go back to Russia, and not wanting to make a deal for him, especially as the franchise is in rebuilding mode to some degree, at least at forward, because the guy who was supposed to be the cornerstone left the country is not bias. It's having a grip on reality.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users