37 replies to this topic

#21 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Interesting that he himself brought up the bigger ice issue... North American hockey is a different game where speed and finesse often take a back seat to physicality and grinding.

There is a place for guys like Brunner but they need to adapt and understand how to better fit their skills into the North American game.

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

I like Brunner a lot as a player. The thing is, Detroit doesn't play a wide open offensive system either. So I wonder why he'd struggle here but not there. A hard forechecking system like the Devils essentially negates speed.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I like Brunner a lot as a player. The thing is, Detroit doesn't play a wide open offensive system either. So I wonder why he'd struggle here but not there. A hard forechecking system like the Devils essentially negates speed.

he apparently struggled there also did you see his numbers that somone posted up on the first page they were pretty bad
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#24 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

"...where the decay of the old, strong and shiny United States has long begun.."

GO F YOURSELF SWISS BOY, (the author)

how about picking the puck up in our zone and getting it across the blueline kid?

how about not turning it over the second you get deep in the offensive zone and then not getting back, to back check

how about getting ryder some shots

imo he and ryder are not a good match, stick him with tedy and JJ and let them be "creative"  (HOW DANEROUS DOES THAT SOUND :0 )

Edited by EdgeControl, 12 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#25 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

That's just not LL's style.  This team didn't cater to Ilya Kovalchuk - it most certainly won't to Brunner.  Maybe Brunner's agent should've done some research and advised his client of the Devils' style before letting him sign here..  :noclue:

not trying to derail the thread, but the devils most certainly DID cater to Kovy. From the contract, to the 2 minute PP, to the double shifting, to never benching for stretches of tedenby like defensive play...the rules were different for Kovy.

Brunner has shown flashes since the first 4 games - he had two rushes in the Nashville game that didn't turn into anything. having the space and good linemates looks like an important part to brunner's game. he doesn't drive play himself but can compliment others quite well. putting him with bernier or ryder - guys that don't skate and don't pass particularly well isn't going to do him any favors. putting him with elias is what did (and likely will again) get the best out of him on the devils

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#26 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

he apparently struggled there also did you see his numbers that somone posted up on the first page they were pretty bad

He was on pace for 23 goals I think and like 45 points had he played a full 82 last year.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,283 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

He was on pace for 23 goals I think and like 45 points had he played a full 82 last year.

Yeah, but like I pointed out, he tailed off big time...2 goals and 8 assists over his last 25 games in Detroit.  6 goals and 11 assists in his last 41 games overall.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, but like I pointed out, he tailed off big time...2 goals and 8 assists over his last 25 games in Detroit.  6 goals and 11 assists in his last 41 games overall.     

Oh gotcha.  That's worrisome.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Oh gotcha.  That's worrisome.

now your learning my man, this is what i was saying. Guy looked like he was going to be great the first few games and now....
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Eeeh...we see articles like this all the time. Writers from another country trying to convey reasons to his/her readership about why their star isn't doing particularly well. The questions are phrased in a certain way and it's tough to not sound negative sometimes. Especially when Brunner is down on himself and his game.

Tone doesn't always come across that well in written interviews, and translated ones doubly so. I'm giving this a pass, because of that. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#31 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

I agree about Kovy being catered to, which is one of the reason I'm kind of glad he's gone.

As for Brunner, like someone else said him and Elias are a good match. Let's see what they do together again. I think Brunner played with Henrique and Ryder last game as well. Henrique was a monster that game. Elias/Brunner/Henrique would be a great line.

Posted Image

#32 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

He could be a streaky type of player. He scores one here and there but mostly he might get some confidence and score in droves like we saw earlier this season. Until the entire team is firing on all cylinders I'm going to give him a pass. I mean, even Zubrus has been pretty invisible, but that doesn't mean playing bad. Invisible usually means playing well in hockey, just not putting the puck in the net...which is a team issue right now, not 1 or 2 players.

Edited by NJDevils1214, 12 November 2013 - 02:45 PM.

815631765.gif

#33 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

He could be a streaky type of player. He scores one here and there but mostly he might get some confidence and score in droves like we saw earlier this season. Until the entire team is firing on all cylinders I'm going to give him a pass. I mean, even Zubrus has been pretty invisible, but that doesn't mean playing bad. Invisible usually means playing well in hockey, just not putting the puck in the net...which is a team issue right now, not 1 or 2 players.

i think zubrus is kind of filling a role that he cant right now.. which is obviously not in his control but he certainly does not belong on the first line and since elias has been out theres where theyve had him.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

Brunner hasn't just been invisible though. He and Ryder are god damn voids on the cycle and it's like both of them can barely handle the puck without sh!tting the bed.

If Brunner wants ice time, make something happen then. Same goes for Ryder, they've both looked equally bad, despite putting in a few goals.

#35 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Brunner hasn't just been invisible though. He and Ryder are god damn voids on the cycle and it's like both of them can barely handle the puck without sh!tting the bed.
If Brunner wants ice time, make something happen then. Same goes for Ryder, they've both looked equally bad, despite putting in a few goals.

i agree... i feel like every time im watching them both have real struggles with carrying the puck into the offensive zone its like the only way they can get it down in there is by dumping and chasing..and that goes for a lot of the team actually not just those two.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#36 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

i agree... i feel like every time im watching them both have real struggles with carrying the puck into the offensive zone its like the only way they can get it down in there is by dumping and chasing..and that goes for a lot of the team actually not just those two.

The dump and chase is our team's strategy. That's what they are trying to do. I meant that Brunner and Ryder look like they're handling a damn grenade about to explode every time they get the puck. I wish they could handle the dump and chase, but they suck at it.

#37 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

The dump and chase is our team's strategy. That's what they are trying to do. I meant that Brunner and Ryder look like they're handling a damn grenade about to explode every time they get the puck. I wish they could handle the dump and chase, but they suck at it.

i hate the constant dump and chase, i wish that they would try to handle it and control it into the zone a little more often then just dumping it in and having a race.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#38 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

i hate the constant dump and chase, i wish that they would try to handle it and control it into the zone a little more often then just dumping it in and having a race.

That's the whole system though. It's dump it in and forecheck hard and send the puck to the point for a shot, then crash the net.

The idea is that putting the puck in deep makes it hard for the opposing team to get it out of the zone and if they do, they gotta come all the way down the ice. We don't have the talent to beat teams on the rush like Chicago can, so instead, we play a better system that allows a less talented player to compete with another more talented player because play along the boards is less about skill than it is about knowing where you're teammates are and strength.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users