56 replies to this topic

#21 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

I still think Lou asked him if he wanted to go home and told him that if he did, this was the time to do so. Kovy, happy to do so for many reasons, may have been the greatest teammate because I think the new owners wanted no part of that contract going forward.

This^^^...

The ownership/sale deal going through shortly after that happened is all I needed to see to think this was all interrelated.

#22 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

I wish he was still on this team. The guy is a game changer. Don't hate him anymore, just really disappointed in him and his choices.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#23 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Honestly, he isn't on the team anymore and we seem to have found some balance so I'm over it. I am much more intersted in the players we have on the team and how this all pans out.

#24 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

I've gotten over him.  At least we don't have to play against him like we do Parise.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#25 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

i miss him but care more about our current roster.

although if the new owners were in any way responsible for him leaving...

like i said im more worried about the current team

Posted Image

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

This was a gift to the franchise. At least now we can start to rebuild a real team in the tradition of Devils hockey and a winning. Wasn't a fan of the Neo-Thrashers direction.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'd still welcome Kovy back if he had a desire to come back.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#28 TomsRiverDevil

TomsRiverDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

As far as my original post, I think we was an awesome player who made the team more successful. It just never felt like he fit in. Almost like he was too good for the team. Things had to be adjusted to fit him him, it just never seemed natural. From my singular fan perspective, it is just more fun to root for a team like our current lineup, as opposed to one with a superduperstar. I guess it works that our greatest superstar over the last two decades played goal, and not so much a teamlike position.

All this was a brief thought I had after the last win over the rangers, realizing in a quick moment that was having more fun following this team without having to worry about kovalchuk, for whatever reason. I think it sucks he left, but am also thankful. I don't really harbor any deep hatred or resentment of him.

Go devils!

#29 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

HAHA epic gif. Made me LOL irl. Thanks! :D

PNlTK.gif

Posted Image

#30 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

I've gotten over him.  At least we don't have to play against him like we do Parise.

And if I had to choose one, I'd take Parise back over Kovy. Parise would fit like a glove in the re-team orientated Devils. 

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#31 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

And if I had to choose one, I'd take Parise back over Kovy. Parise would fit like a glove in the re-team orientated Devils. 

I'd love Parise back.  :(

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#32 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'd still welcome Kovy back if he had a desire to come back.

i would welcome him back too.. but posts like this are just stupid really.. he did us all a favor by ridding that terrible contract that wouldve waited us down.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#33 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

i would welcome him back too.. but posts like this are just stupid really.. he did us all a favor by ridding that terrible contract that wouldve waited us down.

I know he's not coming back.  Relax my man.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#34 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

I know he's not coming back.  Relax my man.

iam relaxed boss.. i just dont get the ignorance of some people on this.. i said a couple weeks ago i was waiting on line to take a piss at the rock one night and some drunk moron and his friend were taking a piss and going on and on like a couple of whiney babys that didnt know what the hell they were talking about.. who really cares about this guy anymore he did us all a favor.. yea were stuck with some penalties but were better off with the penalties then the contract.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#35 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

People are overreacting a bit with contracts i find. I mean its like they'll use it as a closure to convince themselves that its for the best and that its better to have no stars at all than to overpay one.

Kovy gone...oh well his contract was horrible!!!
Zach is gone... Well i wouldnt want that contract...
Clarkson.. Etc etc...

I mean... You guys think the ducks "want" getzlaf or perry's contract? Pens fans want crosby or malkin contract? Nashville want shea's contract etc etc. toews and kane next contract? Im sure hawks fans are not looking forward to that. All of those contracts will look bad at some point or course. Most top players has a big and long contract, thats the reality, you want to drive a ferrari? Well guess what youll have the payments that goes with it.

Dont get me wrong, having bad contracts sucks. But you wont get an impact player for cheap in this league, so you have to suck it up.

www.SterioDesign.com

#36 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

People are overreacting a bit with contracts i find. I mean its like they'll use it as a closure to convince themselves that its for the best and that its better to have no stars at all than to overpay one.

Clarkson.. Etc etc...

I mean... You guys think the ducks "want" getzlaf or perry's contract? Pens fans want crosby or malkin contract? Nashville want shea's contract etc etc. toews and kane next contract? Im sure hawks fans are not looking forward to that. All of those contracts will look bad at some point or course. Most top players has a big and long contract, thats the reality, you want to drive a ferrari? Well guess what youll have the payments that goes with it.

Dont get me wrong, having bad contracts sucks. But you wont get an impact player for cheap in this league, so you have to suck it up.

That mentality sunk the Habs for years. Rags too. Big contracts are crippling. Especially when the players start to decline. The Crosy and Malkin contracts are reasonable. The Kovalchuk and Parise ones were/are not. And I felt that way (and communicated it) long before we lost both guys. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#37 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

That mentality sunk the Habs for years. Rags too. Big contracts are crippling. Especially when the players start to decline. The Crosy and Malkin contracts are reasonable. The Kovalchuk and Parise ones were/are not. And I felt that way (and communicated it) long before we lost both guys. 

This.  Overpaying for superstars is one thing.  But when you sign contracts that could cripple your team, that isn't a good thing.  The Kovalchuk contract would have crippled the Devils.  The new CBA basically makes it so teams aren't bent over by player trying to sign these crippling contracts.  Under the new CBA, contracts are now reasonable.  Even baseball contracts where there is no cap don't ever approach these ridiculous terms some of these NHL contracts are.  10 year contracts were pretty much the norm under the old CBA for just good players.  You rarely ever see 10 year contracts in baseball except for the absolutely elite players.  NHL owners wanted these contracts gone and for good reason.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

The problem with paying for a Ferrari is that often it stops being a Ferrari once you pay for it - Kovalchuk is a prime example, his goal scoring rates in all sense plummeted once he got to New Jersey.  The Devils as they are now can handle some long-term contracts, even though both Zajac and Clowe look like potential disasters, but the Kovalchuk contract was going to be particularly miserable - $11M for several more years, then cap recapture on the end - not that cap recapture should matter, but when the league locks out again in 7 years and we go through another year like this, the Devils should be right up near the cap again.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

This topic is ridiculous. Throw the contract out, we're a better team with Kovalchuk on it. I'm over him leaving. The fact is, we don't know the reasoning, we don't know the concrete facts behind his leaving. He's gone and he'll be back in the NHL again someday. Whether its with us or with another team, I don't care, but to try to find excuses or say we're better off without him is ludicrous. The only area his departure helps is with regards to the cap.

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Clarkson.. Etc etc...

The difference is that Kovy's and Zach's contracts were crazy and horrible the day each one was signed.  15 years?  13 years?  That's insanity.  Getzalf's and Perry's contracts are a lot more reasonable, as far as length goes...8 years each. 

A lot of Devils fans weren't thrilled with Kovy coming back to begin with (I was one of them), especially when signed for first 17 years, then 15 years, and all of the nonsense that went along with getting him re-signed in the first place was annoying as hell.  Yeah, once he stayed, people who were initially against it decided they might as well back him...as far as we knew at the time, he was going to be a Devil for many years...might as well embrace him.  And to his credit, though I think he wasn't particulary comfortable doing it, he did allow himself to be coached into being a different kind of player.  But I think, when he went back home and played for SKA, a lot of things probably dawned on him...one of those things being that being the "complete" kind of player the Devils wanted him to be simply didn't suit him.  The trade that brought him to the Devils was a no-brainer, especially with what the Devils gave up, and he filled a glaring need at the time, but though he did some terrific things in 2011-12, I don't think it was ever a great fit, for either the Devils OR Kovy, though again, I do firmly believe that Kovy did try pretty hard to make it work.  And I don't think that Kovy wondering if he was ever going to be truly happy playing hockey the Devils' way was going to change, so yeah, for that and a whole lot of other reasons, I think the Devils getting out from underneath that contract was a good thing. 

The problem with your mentality is that you play GM out of fear of the unknown, and when the big names come up for UFA, you seem to think the GM should just ante up and pay.  Your Ferrari analogy is off, in that you're not buying new.  You're buying used.  The problem with paying top dollar for many of these UFAs is that you're paying them for what they WERE...not what they ARE.  Might Zach have 3-5 years of good hockey left in him?  Sure.  3-5 years out of 13 is a pretty lousy investment though, and as we've seen, a lot of long-term "this is our guy" contracts turn out to be lousy investments a lot more quickly than planned.   

I don't think Zach or Clarkson should've been re-signed to the money they received from both Minnesota and Toronto.  I think both contracts were typical UFA overpayments.  I know, you'll fire back with "Well why doesn't Lou ever talk with guys in-season, he could've signed those guys for less, why doesn't Lou just always make the right decision 100% of time, blah blah blah"  No GM makes all of the right decisions all of the time, and sometimes it takes years before one can truly evaluate whether or not any given decision was the correct one.  Right this second, I think letting Clarkson go was the right move (and even if Clarkson somehow lives up to his deal, I can still understand why Lou said "No thanks, adios." at the time).  I think signing Clowe probably wasn't.  But time will tell.     

Like I and others have said, re-signing a top UFA to a massive overpayment based on what were likely his best years is not the way to go.  Yes, it sucks and can hurt to see a guy you grow attached to leave.  Yes, when you're firmly in contention or trying to stay there, and trading a UFA in-season will likely hurt that team's chances come playoff time, it can suck to lose those players without getting anything in return.  The ideal way to stay on top is to have a solid AHL pipeline where guys can keep coming in to replace what was lost.  No, you won't often be blessed with carbon copies of what you lose, but hopefully the new players can either approximate what was lost, or lead to an adjustment in the system that allows the both the new bodies and the team to continue to be successful, albeit in a different way than before.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 November 2013 - 07:35 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users