65 replies to this topic

#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

Man is playing his best hockey ever lately and even though defensemen who don't score goals seem to be unappreciated someone has to say how good he's been. 

#2 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Andy Greene is the most underrated defenseman in the league.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#3 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

- Leading the team in TOI/GP at 25:01. Next highest on the team is Zidlicky at 22:30.
- Leads the team in EV TOI/GP (19:18) and 2nd in SH TOI/GP (3:19) min. 10 GP+.
- 2nd amongst Devils D in points with 6.
- 5v5: 55% Corsi For% (6th on team, 2nd highest for D) min. 10 GP+.
- 5v5: 53.1% Fenwick For% (7th on team, 3rd highest for D) min. 10 GP+.
- EV: Toughest Zone Start for any Devils D with a 49.3% O/DSt%.
- EV: Least amount of offensive zone starts for Devils D at 30.7% and greatest amount of defensive zone starts at 31.5%.

Tends to play against the other team's best on top of all that. Been an absolute rock for the Devils this year. Great job.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#4 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Andy Greene is the most underrated defenseman in the league.

This.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#5 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

ive always like greene.. he keeps a calmn head and works hard. makes good plays/reads and calls.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#6 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

My brother always reminds me that when we lost to the senators during the last playoff game at continental, I just looked at him and said "well at least we got to see how good Greene is going to be". Remember when he had to win his job over cory murphy? lol. Greene=wins!

Devils.

#7 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

wheres the lets trade him crowd, of the last 3 years. for a small D-man he wins a very good percentage of puck battles behind the net, and has the "quicks" to bring it out or create a passing lane. if he had a shot he'd be a complete package

#8 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Greene  is playing really good lately.

The man have a really good attitude too.

I remember him last year when i attend a game in ottawa, he gives me a puck, sign my jersey and was talking with fans.

So good player and nice person.

#9 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Has been one of my favorite players the last 3 years.  Def is underappareciated.

#10 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Greene has always been that guy who has spectacular years, and then years where he's not so spectular.

Thankfully though, he's been an absolute rock these past two years.  Love what he brings to the D.

What a play he made on the first goal last night, wow.  Crazy ups, then stickhandles and slides a pass on the tape to Carter.  So good.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#11 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

What a game he had last night, he was all over the ice. Guy is so solid

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#12 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Andy has indeed been the one solid player since the beginning of this season. 

The cherry on top was that leap to keep the puck in the O zone and setup Carter for that goal.

:clap2:  :clap:

#13 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

An awe inspiring receding hairline as well

#14 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Andy Greene has really won me over the past few years. I wasn't a big fan when he first came on board, but he's truly impressed me since. He does all the little things right and for a VERY reasonable salary.

#15 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Andy Greene has really won me over the past few years. I wasn't a big fan when he first came on board, but he's truly impressed me since. He does all the little things right and for a VERY reasonable salary.

I expect Larsson to progress to Greene's level, hopefully beyond. I hope the people down on him remember when Greene was young.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#16 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

He's boring in all the right ways.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#17 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Funny...you think of him as a guy who's played 200 NHL games, maybe 250, but just like that, he's been here for seven seasons and 413 NHL games.  One of those guys you rarely notice until he's not in the lineup. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#18 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Funny...you think of him as a guy who's played 200 NHL games, maybe 250, but just like that, he's been here for seven seasons and 413 NHL games.  One of those guys you rarely notice until he's not in the lineup. 

Yep. I think the reason people got down on him at times was after he had that big year replacing Martin while he was out with that arm injury that lasted way too long. People say nearly 40 points out of him and thought he could be a more offensive d-man. At least that's what I thought and I was disappointed in him after that, but since, he's shown how well he can play whether he's putting up points or not.

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yep. I think the reason people got down on him at times was after he had that big year replacing Martin while he was out with that arm injury that lasted way too long. People say nearly 40 points out of him and thought he could be a more offensive d-man. At least that's what I thought and I was disappointed in him after that, but since, he's shown how well he can play whether he's putting up points or not.

I think people still have vivid memories of Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko and Brian Rafalski as well, which it makes it harder to appreciate what the defensemen that the Devils do have bring.  It's taken the Devil fanbase a long time to let go of the Fab Four, especially since they're all still so visible (Niedermayer winning a Cup with the Ducks, going to the HHOF and getting his number retired, Stevens doing the same and working behind the Devils' bench, Daneyko getting his number retired and being on TV).  Let's face it, probably unfairly, defensemen playing for the Devils have a lot to live up to, and that foursome was just ridiculously good (and as the years go on, they become more and more infallible in fans' memories). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

I think people still have vivid memories of Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko and Brian Rafalski as well, which it makes it harder to appreciate what the defensemen that the Devils do have bring.  It's taken the Devil fanbase a long time to let go of the Fab Four, especially since they're all still so visible (Niedermayer winning a Cup with the Ducks, going to the HHOF and getting his number retired, Stevens doing the same and working behind the Devils' bench, Daneyko getting his number retired and being on TV).  Let's face it, probably unfairly, defensemen playing for the Devils have a lot to live up to, and that foursome was just ridiculously good (and as the years go on, they become more and more infallible in fans' memories). 

Definitely a big part of it. Ever since we lost Stevens, then Rafalski, Nieds. We haven't really had a top pairing, clear cut, #1 d-man. And since Martin and sort of Oduya left/was traded, we haven't had much of anything in the form of offense from the blueline. Zidlicky has been the best thing we've had in that department since then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users