Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Press conference going on right now live. watching via NHL.com

http://video.sabres....vid=DL|NHL|home

Pat LaFontaine named president of Ops.

Edited by Namelesz, 13 November 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

But but, they won last night!!

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Ted Nolan is "interim" coach lol.

Talk about coming round full circle.

#4 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Why fire the gm now? They are rebuilding, and to be honest I feel like the most recent moves they've made have been steals. Vanek for moulson (1st basically) a 1st and a 2nd? Lou level trade right there. I mean ownership must have been aware of the GMs plans and the need to rebuild.  

#5 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,318 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Should've never fired Ruff

Why Lafontaine. So he was a great player. Great players normally don't make great management types. Essentially they're just throwing him in as president of hockey operations because he's a "name" Gretzky and Trottier couldn't coach. Nieuwendyk was a terrible GM. Messier is trying to worm his way into some management/coaching position basically just because he's Messier.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Why fire the gm now? They are rebuilding, and to be honest I feel like the most recent moves they've made have been steals. Vanek for moulson (1st basically) a 1st and a 2nd? Lou level trade right there. I mean ownership must have been aware of the GMs plans and the need to rebuild.  

Moulson has already gotten on the coach's bad side.  I believe he was either benched or scratched in a recent game.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Should've never fired Ruff

Why Lafontaine. So he was a great player. Great players normally don't make great management types. Essentially they're just throwing him in as president of hockey operations because he's a "name" Gretzky and Trottier couldn't coach. Nieuwendyk was a terrible GM. Messier is trying to worm his way into some management/coaching position basically just because he's Messier.

Yzerman has done okay in Tampa, although he was walking into a pretty good situation in that there was nowhere to go but up.  Sakic is off to a pretty good start in Colorado. 

The big danger you run into when you hire the hometown heroes as coaches or executives is that it's harder to fire them.  I mean, imagine how difficult it would be for the Rags to fire Messier as the coach or GM if it turned out to be a mistake.  That's one reason why I'm praying that Marty does not succeed Lou as GM.  (My contrarian choice for that role would be Pierre McGuire).

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#8 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

I figured Regeir was outta there next. Ron Rolston was a joke as a coach. Like Johnny Mac bad.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Regier deserves to be fired for a number of reasons.  One, he built this team that totally imploded.  Two, he hired the coach that helped it continue.  Just because he managed to sell some pieces off doesn't make him a good GM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Regier deserves to be fired for a number of reasons.  One, he built this team that totally imploded.  Two, he hired the coach that helped it continue.  Just because he managed to sell some pieces off doesn't make him a good GM.

But why was he not fired already? If the teams performance is why, then I don't get the firing. They were never going to perform they are in a visible rebuild. His team totally imploded he shoulda been fired long ago, I just don't understand the sudden firing. Typically when you fire the staff mid season like this its a performance thing, I'd have to imagine ownership knew that this team was going to suck.

Edited by Sneax, 13 November 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#11 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

1. Never thought I'd see Ted Nolan has Sabres coach again.
2. Ron Rolston seemed way out his element coaching NHL'ers.
3. It will be interesting to see who Pat LaFontaine hires as GM and how they handle the wealth of draft picks they have.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#12 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

But why was he not fired already? If the teams performance is why, then I don't get the firing. They were never going to perform they are in a visible rebuild. His team totally imploded he shoulda been fired long ago, I just don't understand the sudden firing. Typically when you fire the staff mid season like this its a performance thing, I'd have to imagine ownership knew that this team was going to suck.

The Sabres have some good young players who are doing terribly.  It's one thing to not perform, it's another to be one of the worst teams in NHL history, which is what the Sabres are shooting for right now.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#13 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

If you're ready to fire the coach, and you don't trust the GM to make the proper move...you have to fire the GM too

I remember hearing on NHL Radio on XM once....I think it was Espo....but he always felt if he was an owner this is how he'd handle his GM's

"You get ONE 'get out of jail free card' (in firing the coach).....if you want to fire the second, you'd better be giving me a damned good reason why, or I'm going to wonder why I have you around too..."

It sounds more like they gave him a good figurehead job, and the power to put the good hockey people in place that's all....I'd rather have a guy with legit NHL cred doing that then some fool owner who really doesn't know the league in and out like LalalalalalalaFontaine (oops...) does....and it does add a feel good moment in a horrible 6 weeks of Sabre hockey.....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#14 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

They're playing better actually.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users