84 replies to this topic

#1 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:55 AM

In the latest Pro Hockey issue (Swedish/European magazine) Elias had some candid comments...gonna go buy this and see what else he said. He was interviewed by a Czech journalist. Link to some of the comments in Swedish here: http://www.hockeysve...medium=facebook

The interesting bits translated below:

"Clarkson isn't worth the money"

There's harsh criticism coming from a somewhat unexpected place. Old teammate Patrik Elias has trouble understanding 

the idea behind the decision by Leafs management to spend so much money on Clarkson.

- Clarkson definitely isn't worth [AAV listed in Swedish krona], Elias tells Pro Hockey. I don't understand the Leafs, they're crazy. Sure, he could put the puck in the net but that's it. He's not a versatile player.

In Pro Hockey's article it's revealed that Elias despite everything is content with the summer's turbulence in New Jersey, where not only Clarkson left but also superstar Ilya Kovalchuk, who shocked many when he retired from his NHL career, with 12 years left on his contract.

- Offensively Ilya was gifted, he knows how to score, says Elias. But defensively he wasn't reliable. He made a few mistakes in every game.

-When I read his quotes about the departure being the best for both sides, I agree, continues Elias.  He didn't feel good in our system and couldn't adapt to the discipline we value here. Now Devils can use the money differently.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#2 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

I have no idea if he has any intention to, but I think patty would make an awesome head coach or GM one day.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#3 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

Why hold back at this stage in his career?

#4 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

Elias seems like he'd be a real interesting guy to talk Devils hockey with in a bar over a few beers...like Chico.  Both have pretty strong opinions, and they're definitely not all sunshine. 

Strictly speculation on my part, but I don't think he was ever a big fan of Kovy.  When Kovy seemingly had to be dragged back from Russia last year, I think Elias was thinking, "The hell with this guy".  And he probably wasn't alone...I think Elias is well-respected in that locker room.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#5 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

very interesting comments, particularly the clarkson ones. not sure its a good idea to be taking a shot at an ex-teammate. and imo it sounds a bit like sour grapes.  "how dare they pay him MY salary" even if it is true...if clarksy could catch him he might run him into the boards next game.  he should have ended with a "good for david"

#6 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Lol Elias reminds me of that uncle who you see at holidays who's lived (played) long enough to just speak his mind... And I love it.

It was obvious he never thought particularly highly of kovy while he was here.

#7 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Agree with everything he said too. He's earned the right to speak out considering he will be a lifelong Devils and one of our legends.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#8 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thats awesome lol

Elias has the luxury of being the vet who can say wtv he wants plus he's not in the spotlight like Marty so his comments will probably not have much traction.

You'd never see Henrique or another youngster go out and say something like that at this stage of their career.

I'd definitely see Elias as a future head coach in NJ though, absolutely. He's too smart to do something less than that

www.SterioDesign.com

#9 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Patty rules.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#10 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

I'd definitely see Elias as a future head coach in NJ though, absolutely. He's too smart to do something less than that

I think I'd prefer to see him as GM like Chimaira was saying. He seems like he has the demeanor for it more than for a coach and for whatever reason, I just don't know that I want to see Brodeur as GM.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#11 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I think I'd prefer to see him as GM like Chimaira was saying. He seems like he has the demeanor for it more than for a coach and for whatever reason, I just don't know that I want to see Brodeur as GM.

Yup agreed. I just dont think the timing is good for that. Patty still has a few years left playing, Lou god knows when he'll step down but you'd think Elias would need a few years of not playing working within the organization before stepping as a GM.

If it happens well sweet though

www.SterioDesign.com

#12 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,966 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Elias seems like he'd be a real interesting guy to talk Devils hockey with in a bar over a few beers...like Chico.  Both have pretty strong opinions, and they're definitely not all sunshine. 

Strictly speculation on my part, but I don't think he was ever a big fan of Kovy.  When Kovy seemingly had to be dragged back from Russia last year, I think Elias was thinking, "The hell with this guy".  And he probably wasn't alone...I think Elias is well-respected in that locker room.

Without every hearing these comments, I would have guessed Elias and Clarkson were not friendly at all. Probably heard Clarkson do 30 interviews thanking vets from NJ during his entire career, and Elias was never mentioned once.

Elias might be well respected as a vet, but I don't think he is so friendly with many of the North American guys. Don't really care either way.

As for ripping Kovy during his time here, I don't know...I thought he had done a fairly good job over the last year and a bit in the defensive end. He wasn't meant for the Devils offensive system and a player of his skill shouldn't have to be.

On another note, I don't get why these foreign players feel comfortable talking to media overseas and giving them quotes they never would here. The controversial comments always come back to North America. For all we know, these comments were surrounded by some positive stuff, but who knows. A lot of people can make the case that many years Elias wasn't worth $6 million and he won't be worth the $5+ for the next 3 seasons. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#13 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Elias said similar thing about Gomez when he signed with the rags

He is close to being Mr Devil !!!

#14 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

food for elias.. the man says it how it is..atleast we know someone has balls in that locker room.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#15 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Elias is so loyal to NJ that, like us, he hates everyone that chooses to leave.

#16 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Elias is so loyal to NJ that, like us, he hates everyone that chooses to leave.

this is rare.. however he was contemplating it earlier in his career as well so
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#17 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

this is rare.. however he was contemplating it earlier in his career as well so

I don't think he was ever really going to leave. Probably just a power move his agent told him to do to get a better contract from Lou. Same thing Marty did last year.

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Without every hearing these comments, I would have guessed Elias and Clarkson were not friendly at all. Probably heard Clarkson do 30 interviews thanking vets from NJ during his entire career, and Elias was never mentioned once.

Elias might be well respected as a vet, but I don't think he is so friendly with many of the North American guys. Don't really care either way.

As for ripping Kovy during his time here, I don't know...I thought he had done a fairly good job over the last year and a bit in the defensive end. He wasn't meant for the Devils offensive system and a player of his skill shouldn't have to be.

On another note, I don't get why these foreign players feel comfortable talking to media overseas and giving them quotes they never would here. The controversial comments always come back to North America. For all we know, these comments were surrounded by some positive stuff, but who knows. A lot of people can make the case that many years Elias wasn't worth $6 million and he won't be worth the $5+ for the next 3 seasons. 

I'm not saying Elias is a saint and can do no wrong.  I'm more saying I think he's got some interesting opinions, some of which would probably be surprising.  What he's saying in this case isn't really all that controversial, if you think about it...neither player is a teammate of Elias' anymore.  Kovy might as well be playing on another planet, and who knows, maybe if Clarkson ever hears about these commetns, he goes out of his way to throw a check at Elias next time the Devils play the Leafs.  Not like anything's really coming out of any of this. 

I don't think he was ever really going to leave. Probably just a power move his agent told him to do to get a better contract from Lou. Same thing Marty did last year.

Supposedly, he was all set to go to the Rangers if Sather had been willing to put a no-trade clause in his contract...Sather refused, so he stayed with the Devils and signed his 7-year, $42 million deal that turned out to be pretty good overall (but was looking pretty shaky after the first two seasons, especially during that 4 goals in 44 GP stretch.)

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 November 2013 - 10:36 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'm not saying Elias is a saint and can do no wrong.  I'm more saying I think he's got some interesting opinions, some of which would probably be surprising.  What he's saying in this case isn't really all that controversial, if you think about it...neither player is a teammate of Elias' anymore.  Kovy might as well be playing on another planet, and who knows, maybe if Clarkson ever hears about these commetns, he goes out of his way to throw a check at Elias next time the Devils play the Leafs.  Not like anything's really coming out of any of this. 

Supposedly, he was all set to go to the Rangers if Sather had been willing to put a no-trade clause in his contract...Sather refused, so he stayed with the Devils and signed his 7-year, $42 million deal that turned out to be pretty good overall (but was looking pretty shaky after the first two seasons, especially during that 4 goals in 44 GP stretch.

god could you picture elias in a rags jersey.. thats enough to ruin my day
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#20 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

He's one of a small group of people in our team's history who has earned the right to speak off the cuff like this. Good for him, he speaks about what many of us knew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users