#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

god could you picture elias in a rags jersey.. thats enough to ruin my day

I could picture just about anyone not named Martin Brodeur wearing a Rags jersey...just the way it is.  Playing for that team appeals to a lot of hockey players, though I think more than a few have found out that playing there isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be...that being said, even though the Rangers did nothing while Bobby Holik played for them, and even though his contract quickly became an albatross (though, like Gomez, he did about what should have been expected of him...Sather thinks paying good players superstar money will make them superstars), Holik has always maintained that he LOVED playing in NY, and with the Rangers.  Go figure, but that seemed to be symptomatic of those Ranger teams...they all loved skating on Garden Ice and they all loved being well-paid, but they didn't seem to mind losing much. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think I'd prefer to see him as GM like Chimaira was saying. He seems like he has the demeanor for it more than for a coach and for whatever reason, I just don't know that I want to see Brodeur as GM.

I'm not in love with the idea of bringing players that are legends with the fanbase to be the head coach or GM.  You never know whether they'll pan out, and it's more difficult to fire them when you ordinarily would. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'm not in love with the idea of bringing players that are legends with the fanbase to be the head coach or GM.  You never know whether they'll pan out, and it's more difficult to fire them when you ordinarily would. 

I don't honestly think it would be very much harder to fire Elias than it would any GM. It's never easy to fire a GM anyway. I just think that overall Elias' somewhat straight to the point no-nonsense demeanor kinda fits more with a GM than it does as a coach. I honestly got more of a warm and fuzzy feeling from Pat Burns than I do from Elias.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Elias already made that Clarkson quote off the record to either Gulitti or Chere or someone in the media.  As for the second one, not sure we'll get the full truth there.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Elias is 100% correct, I agree with the others who feel he would be a good scout or hockey opperations guy.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#26 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm not saying Elias is a saint and can do no wrong.  I'm more saying I think he's got some interesting opinions, some of which would probably be surprising.  What he's saying in this case isn't really all that controversial, if you think about it...neither player is a teammate of Elias' anymore.  Kovy might as well be playing on another planet, and who knows, maybe if Clarkson ever hears about these commetns, he goes out of his way to throw a check at Elias next time the Devils play the Leafs.  Not like anything's really coming out of any of this. 

Supposedly, he was all set to go to the Rangers if Sather had been willing to put a no-trade clause in his contract...Sather refused, so he stayed with the Devils and signed his 7-year, $42 million deal that turned out to be pretty good overall (but was looking pretty shaky after the first two seasons, especially during that 4 goals in 44 GP stretch.

Well that would have been tragic. 

As for his career after playing, I don't see him wanting to be a coach or GM, more of a "special assignment scout". He doesn't even want to be captain.

#27 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Well that would have been tragic. 

As for his career after playing, I don't see him wanting to be a coach or GM, more of a "special assignment scout". He doesn't even want to be captain.

He did want to be captain. It was the drama of losing it that I think spoiled that for him.

#28 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

He did want to be captain. It was the drama of losing it that I think spoiled that for him.

Did they strip him? I don't remember. I though he gave it up to Langs because he didn't want it. I'm probably remembering the whole thing wrong.

#29 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Did they strip him? I don't remember. I though he gave it up to Langs because he didn't want it. I'm probably remembering the whole thing wrong.

As I recall it Sutter stripped him of it and gave it to Langs. That's the way I remember it, anyway.

#30 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

I just find it weird and unusual to see Elias tear into Clarkson and the Leafs like that. That doesn't happen all that often, that players comment on other franchises and their players (unless something has happened, like a dirty hit or some other incident).

Besides, Clarkson has been saying all the right things about NJ and his time there. I found it very surprising.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#31 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sutter went to the media before Elias if I recall, that was the big issue.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#32 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

If I remember correctly when Sutter took over as head coach he took away the "C" and said something like "I want to see who steps up and deserves to be the captain, then I'll give the C to that player"

I and many got the feeling Sutter didnt like Europeans and or Elias to wear the C

#33 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

czech and russian dont like each other very much since 1968

#34 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

There is a reason why I will always wear my #26 jersey......love this man.

#35 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

I just find it weird and unusual to see Elias tear into Clarkson and the Leafs like that. That doesn't happen all that often, that players comment on other franchises and their players (unless something has happened, like a dirty hit or some other incident).

Besides, Clarkson has been saying all the right things about NJ and his time there. I found it very surprising.

Eh, Elias isn't spiteful, but he's never been one to pull punches. If he was asked about the contract, he was going to speak his mind. And he didn't say anything that wasn't true. He didn't even say Clarkie was a bad player, just not one worth the money he got.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#36 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Elias and Gionta back at practice. Josefson and Teddy extra forwards. I dont know if I like this...Teddy should not be scratched for Gionta

#37 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Wow this was awesome. If clarky takes offense to this(which this being pretty much an attack should be taken as such) then we might see more aggression when we see the leafs

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#38 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Elias and Gionta back at practice. Josefson and Teddy extra forwards. I dont know if I like this...Teddy should not be scratched for Gionta

Harrold and Gionta are Pete's boodle boys.......as long as they're alive and under contract......they'll be playing

#39 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

You mean JJ I assume? Their treatment of him and PDBs fetisch for Gionta sickens me. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#40 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Love Patty!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users