gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

12/4 1-5PM

http://devils.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=73935

Has anyone here been to one of these?  How many organizations/companies usually attend? What kind of positions are they looking for? 

I'm not actively looking for a job right now but if a job in my field were to be available with the Devils I'd consider it :koolaid:

#2 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Wow, I already have tickets to that game, but wouldn't mind working at the Rock if that is an option.  At least in my field...

I only live about 15 minutes from there...but I would assume they wouldn't be trying to show off IT or Telecom jobs at the Pru center, or would they?

#3 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Wow, I already have tickets to that game, but wouldn't mind working at the Rock if that is an option.  At least in my field...

I only live about 15 minutes from there...but I would assume they wouldn't be trying to show off IT or Telecom jobs at the Pru center, or would they?

From what I have heard, its mostly ticket sales/cold calling jobs.

Since the new owners have money, they might be interested in hiring people in different areas but not sure.

#4 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

From what I have heard, its mostly ticket sales/cold calling jobs.

Since the new owners have money, they might be interested in hiring people in different areas but not sure.

I could only assume these guys get paid mostly via commission, right? I inquired about season tix a few months ago and I swear the guy called me every week for the next 3 months.

#5 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I could only assume these guys get paid mostly via commission, right? I inquired about season tix a few months ago and I swear the guy called me every week for the next 3 months.

Pretty much.  I get calls from them all the time too.

#6 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

I did one of these before.

It's mostly internships. Unpaid ones at that. Which is cool if you are just starting out but if you are looking for cash then avoid.

n2eg.jpg

#7 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

They pay the interns now.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#8 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

You probably need a bachelor's in order to get any of the good positions.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#9 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

12/4 1-5PM

http://devils.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=73935

Has anyone here been to one of these?  How many organizations/companies usually attend? What kind of positions are they looking for? 

I'm not actively looking for a job right now but if a job in my field were to be available with the Devils I'd consider it :koolaid:

I've never gone to one but I used to get a heads-up about these things all the time when I was going to college for sport management.  Usually there are multiple professional teams from various sports there, mostly hiring for internships or entry level positions.

You probably need a bachelor's in order to get any of the good positions.

You would need a bachelor's degree for almost any full-time position in pro sports.

Edited by devilsfan26, 15 November 2013 - 12:21 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#10 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Last year it was essentially an internship fair. Complete waste of my time and money honestly. The only group that I visited that claimed they were hiring for paid positions were the Trenton Titans, who ceased operations a month later.

Maybe it'll be better this time around but I'm not willing to sink the money into it to find out.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#11 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

It's a little ridiculous that they charge up front without even making a list of employers available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#12 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

It's a little ridiculous that they charge up front without even making a list of employers available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Exactly.  That's how "legit" this job fair is.

#13 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

There goes my dream of working for the Devils.  I'm no salesman.  :yucky:

#14 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

There goes my dream of working for the Devils.  I'm no salesman.  :yucky:

maybe theyll be hiring cleaning people... that sounds like it might fit your dream job working for the devils lol
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#15 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

maybe theyll be hiring cleaning people... that sounds like it might fit your dream job working for the devils lol

Real nice dude.

But seriously, if I were presented with those two options as my only possible career choices with all things being equal (pay, hours) I'd probably take the cleaning over the cold-calling of people all day. Sales is just not for me. 

I'm an engineer, not a pitchman. As that very affable fellow from Office Space said, "I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people!" 

Let him be the salesman and deal with the people :thumbsup:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 15 November 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#16 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Real nice dude.

But seriously, if I were presented with those two options as my only possible career choices with all things being equal (pay, hours) I'd probably take the cleaning over the cold-calling of people all day. Sales is just not for me. 

I'm an engineer, not a pitchman. As that very affable fellow from Office Space said, "I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people!" 

Let him be the salesman and deal with the people :thumbsup:

haha im with you man i cant stand most people.. however last thing i would be doing is cleaning some dirty ass bathroom
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#17 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Oh sh!t, a fellow engineer?  Don't worry gardenstatepkwy, employers love engineers.  Assuming you didn't graduate with a 2.0 (also assuming you're a recent graduate, apologies if I'm off base) you should have a job in no time.

Although let me just comment on something else you said about people skills - employers REALLY love engineers that aren't socially incompetent.  Sell yourself as an engineer with people skills.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#18 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Oh sh!t, a fellow engineer?  Don't worry gardenstatepkwy, employers love engineers.  Assuming you didn't graduate with a 2.0 (also assuming you're a recent graduate, apologies if I'm off base) you should have a job in no time.

Although let me just comment on something else you said about people skills - employers REALLY love engineers that aren't socially incompetent.  Sell yourself as an engineer with people skills.

Haha thanks for the words but I'm not unemployed.  ;)

I have a good job but was said when I made this thread that if there were an opening with the Devils that was agreeable with me I'd consider jumping ship :dizzy:

#19 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

How about for a retiring cop?

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#20 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

If they're hiring mostly for internships, why is it on a Wednesday afternoon right around finals time? Do it on a weekend game, and I'm sure it would help out the NJIT, Rutgers-Newark, Seton Hall crowd more. You'd probably get a lot of kids from all the state colleges, except maybe Stockton, if you do something like this on a weekend. If you have time to do this on a Wednesday afternoon, you probably cant afford tickets in the first place.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users