189 replies to this topic

#181 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

The Kings remind me of some Devils teams of old. They don't dominate, just frustrate and win.

Was there really only 12,000-plus fans in the building last night? I was there, and I would've guessed there were more than that. Although I did notice that the upper corners were sparse, which was a strange sight to me because those sections used to always be full.

A few posters in here mentioned the pricing. What were the prices for the upper corners for last night's game compared to what they used to be?

Also someone mentioned the high concession stand prices. I noticed that too. When did they shoot up, this season or last? I didn't go to a game last season, so I was comparing prices to 2011-2012.

Edited by 95Crash, 16 November 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#182 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Guys, we're in the middle of a brutal 6 game stretch: NYR, LA, PIT, ANA, LA, SJ

I was praying for 3-3 and so far we're on pace to do that.  The team played pretty well last night and didn't get blown away by a solid LA team.  Pretty evenly matched game that could have gone either way. 

#183 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Guys, we're in the middle of a brutal 6 game stretch: NYR, LA, PIT, ANA, LA, SJ

I was praying for 3-3 and so far we're on pace to do that.  The team played pretty well last night and didn't get blown away by a solid LA team.  Pretty evenly matched game that could have gone either way.

This.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#184 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

I was praying for 3-3 and so far we're on pace to do that. 

Same here, was hoping for 3-3.  8-10-5 for a team figuring itself it out and trying to do it while playing twice as many road games as home games isn't too bad...and fortunately, the division they're playing in is pretty forgiving right now. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 16 November 2013 - 11:29 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#185 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Same here, was hoping for 3-3.  8-10-5 for a team figuring itself it out and trying to do it while playing twice as many road games as home games isn't too bad...and fortunately, the division they're playing in is pretty forgiving right now. 

Thing is, a lot of teams are starting to play better.

Rags are playing well

Philly is starting to pull themselves together

Washington has 6 wins in their last 10.

#186 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

The Kings remind me of some Devils teams of old. They don't dominate, just frustrate and win.

Was there really only 12,000-plus fans in the building last night? I was there, and I would've guessed there were more than that. Although I did notice that the upper corners were sparse, which was a strange sight to me because those sections used to always be full.

A few posters in here mentioned the pricing. What were the prices for the upper corners for last night's game compared to what they used to be?

Also someone mentioned the high concession stand prices. I noticed that too. When did they shoot up, this season or last? I didn't go to a game last season, so I was comparing prices to 2011-2012.

There were more than 12000 bodies but they weren't all paying customers.  One guy on HF said he got an offer for free tickets since he bought playoff seats and hadn't been back much to the Rock this year, so I'm sure at least a few hundred of those e-mails went out.

Concession prices always tick up every year seemingly.  Last night was also one of the 'elite' priced games (highest pricing tier other than the Ranger games) and they paid for it up the nose.  It's $44 to get in the building for a non-sth buying a seat in 209 or one of the other corners available for public sale, $50 including fees if you're buying the seats on Ticketmaster, and that's without factoring in transportation/parking.  Even STH's have to pay $31 a game, and that's not going to entice too many sth's there.  Secondary market prices for last night's game were in the $20's and mid-30's for the most part...you do the math as to how many additional single-game seats the Devils are going to sell on that metric.

When the building first opened I know it was like $15-25 range for the upper tier tickets and it was packed every night.  Of course the balconies were ghost towns cause they were in the high $30's, low $40's.  Then they slashed the balcony prices and jacked up the upper tier prices and voila most of the sth's flocked to the 100 levels behind the nets.

I am in control of my emotions...lol

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xSkI32GQMy4

Seriously though, when the Fenwick/Corsi crowd start throwing those numbers around, the main reason we often hear for not-so-good results not meshing with "good" Fenwick and Corsi numbers is "bad luck".  We rarely hear skill level of the shooters acknowledged.  

Bad luck that's also 'unsustainable'.  The more I watch the Devils the more I think these shot-based stats (Fenwick/CORSI) are hogwash.

Same here, was hoping for 3-3.  8-10-5 for a team figuring itself it out and trying to do while playing twice as many road games as home games isn't too bad...and fortunately, the division they're playing in is pretty forgiving right now. 

Not for long with the way everyone else is streaking in the division right now.  The whole division wasn't going to be bad forever and I really don't see where they even get two other wins in that stretch.  Or beat Winnipeg at home two days after the trip ends when we never match up well with them (hence why the nightmare streak is seven games for me, not six).  They can't rely on Cam Janssen goals or Ryan Carter getting two-goal games indefinitely.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 November 2013 - 11:42 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#187 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thing is, a lot of teams are starting to play better.

Rags are playing well

Philly is starting to pull themselves together

Washington has 6 wins in their last 10.

Trust me, I'm not implying that the Devils can continue to put up 21 points per 23 game blocks.  They'll clearly have to pick it up.  I'm saying that under the circumstances, an 8-10-5 start wouldn't be a killer.  They can recover, and the schedule is at least more favorable to them soon.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#188 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

We have to remember that after this brutal stretch after next week, we have an "easy" week following that.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#189 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

I HAVE NEVER fvckING SUGGESTED THIS STOP STOP STOP STOP SAYING IT YOU'RE TOO SMART TO KEEP REPEATING THIS

LOLZ.  :giggle:

Seriously though, when the Fenwick/Corsi crowd start throwing those numbers around, the main reason we often hear for not-so-good results not meshing with "good" Fenwick and Corsi numbers is "bad luck".  We rarely hear skill level of the shooters acknowledged.  

This!

Posted Image

#190 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

oh shut the fvck up you privileged little sh!t

Lol huh.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'