189 replies to this topic

#161 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

Guys calm down. Who cares if we have no one scoring goals? At least were not overpaying guys who could do it now but be stuck with bad contracts in 7 years, lets focus on that.

And im doing this thing right?

But seriously this game could have been ours, their goal was a goal that will go in one times out of 10 and we could have scored one like that too it just didnt happened. Lets move on to tomorrow, pittsburgh would be just as fun to win

You're literally the single most annoying broken record on the board right now. And that's saying a lot.

It's a shame, you used to be a really interesting poster to read, I looked forward to your insight. Then you got slapped in the face with a negative salami and now you're you.

Pity.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#162 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

You're literally the single most annoying broken record on the board right now. And that's saying a lot.

It's a shame, you used to be a really interesting poster to read, I looked forward to your insight. Then you got slapped in the face with a negative salami and now you're you.

Pity.

oh shut the fvck up you privileged little sh!t

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#163 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,328 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

I've seen a lot of comments on twitter and here suggesting that Brodeur's superior puck handling is a big reason for his goal support versus Schneider's. No doubt there is a huge difference between the two in terms of puck handling ability but I don't think it really is enough of a difference to affect their goal support totals.

In Schneider's 9 starts the Devils have a Corsi For% of 52.0% and Fenwick For% of 51.3%. In Brodeur's 10 starts the Devils have a Corsi For% of 51.4% and Fenwick For% of 51.0%. There is really no difference in terms of shot attempts on net with either goalie playing. In terms of shots on goal per game, the Devils average roughly 24 in support of Schneider and 25 in support of Brodeur so there is once again little difference.

The big difference lies in SH%. As a team the Devils are shooting at 7.8% this year. When Brodeur is on the ice they are shooting 10.2%, while when Schneider is on the ice they are shooting 4.5%. That is an unsustainable percentage. In terms of G w/ 9 GP+, Brodeur's teammates SH% is the 5th highest in the NHL while Schneider's teammates SH% is the lowest. The goal support is due to come for Schneider.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#164 BigZ

BigZ

Albany Devil

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

The attendance was also disgusting. 12,168.

This team would have to pay me in order to show up to a game with that line up they put on the ice.

I miss Parise. 

#165 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

For all the crap we hear about CORSI shmorsi the devils are due to do blah blah there shooting percentage will get better, they're going to score a goal blah blah

In their last 31 games dating back to last season they've been shut out NINE TIMES  9!!! How is that statistically possible. 

These advanced stat fanatics seem to be ignorant of the fact that a shot is not a shot. Volchenkov dumping the puck on goal from the redline counts as a shot just as much as when Stamkos fires it from inside the faceoff circles. They both count as a shot, even though they have infinitely different success rate probabilities. 

Posted Image

#166 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

These advanced stat fanatics seem to be ignorant of the fact that a shot is not a shot. Volchenkov dumping the puck on goal from the redline counts as a shot just as much as when Stamkos fires it from inside the faceoff circles. They both count as a shot, even though they have infinitely different success rate probabilities. 

It's easy to find differences between the extremes. 

There is a strong relation between shot differential and scoring chance differential. Doubt it all you want. It doesn't guarantee goals and wins, but it hints that yeah, it's a lot more likely than if you go the other way. 

Daniel Wagner (http://blogs.thescor...s-things-right/) :

A forward might take a low-percentage shot from the outside, hoping for a rebound that will create a better scoring chance. A defenceman will sometimes throw the puck at the net while under pressure simply to keep the play alive. A fourth liner will shoot the puck as soon as he crosses the opponent’s blue line in order to create an offensive zone faceoff for his team’s top line. A top-six forward will optimistically shoot from a bad angle at the end of his shift after not being able to create a better scoring chance.The pursuit of shot quality will inevitably lead to shot quantity.

A good read: http://nhlnumbers.co...and-shot-totals

TL;DR version:

Scoring%20chances%20vs%20Fenwick.PNG

Edited by Marshall, 16 November 2013 - 04:39 AM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#167 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

It's easy to find differences between the extremes. 

Extremes emphasize the point, that doesn't mean it's any less valid. It can easily be argued that the Devils, now without Parise and Kovy, lack top tier NHL talent. Especially when it comes to goalscoring prowess and creativity.  They've consistently had problems scoring goals for a couple of years now, it's hard to find any other reasons then lack of skill.

Preseason I thought adding Jagr, Ryder and Brunner would make up for loosing Kovy, and that Clowe would likely be a wash for Clarkson.. I guess the jury is still out. Hopefully this is a just case of the new guys still trying to fit in to the team and find their place in the system.. At least we've seen some progress lately..

Posted Image

#168 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

They were able to get into the Kings' zone just fine in the first period without a goalie leading the charge. It's not an excuse. They are just putrid offensively, and I'm being generous.

#169 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm not dismissing the advanced stats, I'm sure they give a very good indication, in general. However, I don't understand how anyone can suggest that the skill of the shooter doesn't matter. To me that's just absurd, no matter how many stats and charts you have to back it up.

Posted Image

#170 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,743 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

Schneider in 9 starts: 1-5-3, 1.98 GAA, .918 SV%

I saw a lot of tweets during the game mentioning how boring this game was. Sad thing was that by 2013-14 Devils standards, this was one of the more exciting ones in my opinion - not that they've set the bar that high. That 14 shot game vs Philly was one of the most boring games I recall watching in my life and I started watching in 1994.

Hopefully the Devils do better next time you take your daughter. It's bound to happen at some point, right?

It felt like two different games to me...a good chunk of it was frustrating and hard on the eyes.  But it the grand scheme, the Devils were really a break or two away from getting at least a point. 

The 14-shot Philly trainwreck was about as lifeless as it got.

So far, my daughter's been to four games:

2-1 win against Dallas (she was only two then...game was pretty bad, but at least they won)

5-2 loss to the Pens (retro game...she was three)

1-0 loss to the Flyers

2-0 loss to the Kings

I keep telling her how fun and exciting hockey can be, and how Daddy's been watching it for almost 30 years.  Suffice it to say the Devils aren't really helping me to build my case...she started falling asleep in the third period, and though I know that part of that was because it was past her bedtime, I also know if the Devils were winning or at least putting some pucks in the net, she would've been more lively for sure.  I just wish I could've taken her during the wins against the Rangers or Predators...I want her to see what it's like not only when the Devils score a friggin' goal, but when there's real life in the building, and everyone's not pissed off and frustrated. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#171 BigZ

BigZ

Albany Devil

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

It's important that Schnieder demand a trade to either Pittsburg or Chicago so he can at least salvage a .500 W/L total.
Feel terrible for the guy.
Maybe the Devils can get some scorers for him.
Scoring wins games..I think. I can't remember anymore.

I miss Parise. 

#172 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

oh shut the fvck up you privileged little sh!t

Priceless and correct

#173 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,743 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

I've seen a lot of comments on twitter and here suggesting that Brodeur's superior puck handling is a big reason for his goal support versus Schneider's. No doubt there is a huge difference between the two in terms of puck handling ability but I don't think it really is enough of a difference to affect their goal support totals.

In Schneider's 9 starts the Devils have a Corsi For% of 52.0% and Fenwick For% of 51.3%. In Brodeur's 10 starts the Devils have a Corsi For% of 51.4% and Fenwick For% of 51.0%. There is really no difference in terms of shot attempts on net with either goalie playing. In terms of shots on goal per game, the Devils average roughly 24 in support of Schneider and 25 in support of Brodeur so there is once again little difference.

The big difference lies in SH%. As a team the Devils are shooting at 7.8% this year. When Brodeur is on the ice they are shooting 10.2%, while when Schneider is on the ice they are shooting 4.5%. That is an unsustainable percentage. In terms of G w/ 9 GP+, Brodeur's teammates SH% is the 5th highest in the NHL while Schneider's teammates SH% is the lowest. The goal support is due to come for Schneider.

Yeah, rotten luck for Schneider, it won't remain THIS bad.  But I could see him having a full season of overall rotten luck, especially since this team looks like it will be inconsistent offensively at best.  Could see Cory finishing with a record right around NHL-.500.

I don't worry about him wanting off the Devils yet though.  Simply too early in his Devil career to do that.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#174 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'm not dismissing the advanced stats, I'm sure they give a very good indication, in general. However, I don't understand how anyone can suggest that the skill of the shooter doesn't matter. To me that's just absurd, no matter how many stats and charts you have to back it up.

This is true...you need quality not just quantity, it's one reason we suck so bad in crunch time / O.T. and shootouts.  Without a few real goal scorer's you can pepper the opposing goalie all you want.....with little success.

Check some of the box scores from other games, a team will be out shot 9-3 in a period yet have a 1 or 2 goal lead....quality my friend....quality

the proof is in the pudding....not the stats

#175 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Pity.

You know when you're arguing with your gf for days about something lets say that she never lock the doors at night but she's always saying. "Bahhhh its fine nobody is gonna try to get in here, relax."

So once you're both standing there in the living room looking at no tv, no nothing and listening to your dog whining cause he got raped and the place is trashed... you know that feeling of wanting to point out that you told her this would happen.

Well I was the one annoyed as fvck by all the denials that "we'd be perfectly fine" back then and people calling me out. So let me have my moments here please. I know i'm coming off negative at times about some stuff but its not as if i'm wrong either. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 16 November 2013 - 09:07 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#176 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

I HAVE NEVER fvckING SUGGESTED THIS STOP STOP STOP STOP SAYING IT YOU'RE TOO SMART TO KEEP REPEATING THIS

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#177 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

the forecheck looked vintage yesterday (for most of the game) although you get a sense that the kings were just biding their time and turned it up at the end.  zubrus looked good carrying and cycling imo his best game, bernier was strong. jagr was obviously off. zid is as an elusive skater as there is on this team. dont care about corys puck handling we had plenty of puck time just cant finish.  one nice take by brunner but his other shots were long wrister into the chest pad. he and ryder are not getting good chances due to their bad Dzone play

feel horrible for schnieder

#178 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

No-one is arguing this. At least not here, from what I've seen. Unskilled shooters don't tend to get many shots. Hence, they don't get many quality scoring chances. They go hand in hand. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#179 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

well my advanced stats tell me it's all freaking Gionta's fault.  He's bad joojoo no matter how hard he works.  We need to start taking the joojoo into account here man! 

Maybe Patty is too negative...  I LOVE him.... he's earned hit right to let fly the pot shots...

but if you cherry pick his comments and take that as a the whole picture (I'm sure it's not)  he seems sort of like the worst of Holik  and Mogilny all in one grumpy-assed happy dad package  :P

But seriously -- same old Devils - you think you're turning a corner and then you think you've taken 2 steps back.  I sort of feel like I'd feel that way no matter where they were in the standings.  It's a bad habit for me.  They could be in first place and I'd be thinking "They'll never get the cup the way they're winning these" and feel all dejected and anxious.

(but wow... even Tri had a mini melt-down  :wacko:  We need to get our sh!te together here  :P )

Edited by Pepperkorn, 16 November 2013 - 10:09 AM.

I'm here for the party

#180 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,743 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I HAVE NEVER fvckING SUGGESTED THIS STOP STOP STOP STOP SAYING IT YOU'RE TOO SMART TO KEEP REPEATING THIS

I am in control of my emotions...lol

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xSkI32GQMy4

Seriously though, when the Fenwick/Corsi crowd start throwing those numbers around, the main reason we often hear for not-so-good results not meshing with "good" Fenwick and Corsi numbers is "bad luck".  We rarely hear skill level of the shooters acknowledged.  

You know when you're arguing with your gf for days about something lets say that she never lock the doors at night but she's always saying. "Bahhhh its fine nobody is gonna try to get in here, relax."

So once you're both standing there in the living room looking at no tv, no nothing and listening to your dog whining cause he got raped and the place is trashed... you know that feeling of wanting to point out that you told her this would happen.

Well I was the one annoyed as fvck by all the denials that "we'd be perfectly fine" back then and people calling me out. So let me have my moments here please. I know i'm coming off negative at times about some stuff but its not as if i'm wrong either. 

You just like to snivel and complain a lot.  Most weren't saying the Devils would be "perfectly fine".  Many dared to say the Devils would be better off without Kovy long-term, based on the contract, and the mixed results in Years 1-3 of that deal, but in the immediate term, no one knew exactly what to expect, especially with the on-the-fly recovery on Lou's part, but yeah, several fans actually tried to think positive, as opposed to bitching in as many threads as possible about Lou's MO and the potential state of the Devils.

You may want to give it more than 19 games before declaring all-knowing victory.  The Devils are actually about where I expected them to be...around NHL-.500 at this point in the sched.  Are there reasons for concern?  Sure.  Ryder and Brunner really have to start scoring, Loki looks more like a 5th-round pick every day and not some brilliant steal, etc.  Are there reasons for optimism?  The goaltending and defense has been improving, and Gelinas is up with the big boys and not looking outclassed.  Hopefully Merrill soon will do the same.  Elias is back in the lineup. 

The Schedule from Hell only has four games left.  I really want to see what the Devils do once they get past it.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users