Photo

What does Mike Francesa know about local hockey?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

Fatcessa is representative of the media in this market. If you are of the opinion that the media provides what the masses truly want, then this market is an awful hockey market. 3 teams combine for near-zero overall media coverage. Can't wait for the old media dinosaurs to die out already.

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

Its the disrespect that drives me insane. Know the basics so you can bluff you're way through it. Not just this I'm better then you because you want to talk about what you want to talk about instead of what I like. Guy's a jackass and I have no idea why people still listen

The prank calls say it all...I think it's gotten to the point where a good portion of his listeners think he's a joke...trainwreck radio.  And he's oblivious to the fact that a lot of people think he's a clown.   

I used to listen to him back in the 90s, even the early 2000s, and with the Mad Dog, he was more tolerable.  He was always prone to pomposity, but it just got worse and worse in time, along with many of his other annoying quirks (like the fact he can barely string sentences together without stammering constantly).  One day it finally got to the point where I couldn't take listening to him anymore.  If I know that he's going to have someone on that I really want to hear (someone Met-related usually), I'll put him on, even though he's a terrible interviewer.   

The times I have listened recently, I hear a guy who desperately needs an on-air partner.  I hear a guy who only knows how to fill air-time by repeating/stammering/stuttering the same phrases and sentiments over and over (and his "insights" are not terribly enlightening), until he mumbles "Back afta dis".     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 Rogan The Goat

Rogan The Goat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Evan Roberts, Boomer + Carton, Richard Neer.

All I need to get through work.

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Evan Roberts, Boomer + Carton, Richard Neer.

All I need to get through work.

I like Evan and Joe, Boomer (like the ex-player perspective he brings).  Neer's a little boring, but OK. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Then don't listen.  There's Kay and LaGreca, the latter of whom definitely knows his hockey.  They can be fairly tiresome themselves unfortunately.  I still don't think I've heard enough commentary on whether baseball players that did steroids belong in the Hall of Fame. 

Love Legrecca, but I cannot take Kay, he knows as little about Hockey as Francesca... 

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#26 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sorry but Benigno is no better than Mike, he might know some hockey but he rarely makes a good point, and laughs at his own stupid jokes, and he uses the same ones every friggin day!!!

Mike defintiely needs a partner, hearing him repeat the same sentence 3 x before he moves on is getting real old... I was Hoping Dog would come back when he was canned by XM, but I guess not...

And the crack pots on ESPN are no better, I can tolerate FAN, usually i cannot deal with those clowns

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#27 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

they all suck unless all you like is the Knicks and Yanks

#28 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

I gave up on sports talk radio a long time ago.  I'll listen to the NHL channel on XM sometimes but to me most of the sports talk hosts are useless and the fan call ins are even worse. 

I am much happier now.

Edited by devilsadvoc8, 19 November 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#29 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Somers is my favorite radio host ever, you have to know it's a joke like CR1976 said. Sure I didn't wanna listen to him after one of the games the devils lost to the rangers in the '12 conf finals, but he's hilarious. Nassau Masoleum, Icelanders etc 

Exactly  Somers is a true rags fan and loves taking shots at the devs and isles.   hes a good "innings eater" for the fan

#30 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Fatcessa is representative of the media in this market. If you are of the opinion that the media provides what the masses truly want, then this market is an awful hockey market. 3 teams combine for near-zero overall media coverage. Can't wait for the old media dinosaurs to die out already.

Totally agree.. It's honestly a shame that they all collectively refuse to talk hockey. I actually love when I'm in south jersey and put on 97.5 The Fanatic because it's incredibly refreshing to hear someone call up about the Flyers and not only be heard, but get an intellectual response and discussion.. When I was up in Boston they had a 2 hour radio show dedicated to the Bruins. Blew my mind!

The old-guard NY media here are hindering the market.. They are setting it back 2+ decades by making hockey out to be like some niche sport that makes you weird if you follow it enough to care.. We have 3 teams here and our ratings for the Finals last year blew every other city out of the water aside from Chicago and Boston.. I get that having 4 teams amongst the 2 biggest sports, plus the Knicks when they are relevant (and I guess moving to NY made the Nets noteworthy all of a sudden?) BUT why are we discussing the same NFL or MLB off-season sh!t over and over and over again Tuesday through Thursday when there are hockey games on. I mean we can't take one hour to dedicate to hockey in all of that? I think they are afraid of it for some reason, otherwise why treat talking hockey like it's taboo and, if all of a sudden if you discuss it, no one will listen?

I mean turn on SNY and it's the same.. I tweeted to the host of Loud Mouths after the Devils sale that I thought it was a little ridiculous they could even discuss it for 30 seconds on their like hour long show.. Guy tweeted back that it was a fair point and he brought it up briefly on the next show

I will say that I think it's partially a self-fulfilling prophecy.. The hosts downplay hockey, so people either decide "well I guess no one really does care about it" or "well I won't try to call in for it then", so it gets talked about less, so the hosts don't feel a need to satisfy the market by talking about it when they can just as easily discuss the flavor of the week in the NFL for 20 hours a day and have morons call in to say the same crappy comments all day long

Edited by Colin226, 19 November 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#31 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Totally agree.. It's honestly a shame that they all collectively refuse to talk hockey. I actually love when I'm in south jersey and put on 97.5 The Fanatic because it's incredibly refreshing to hear someone call up about the Flyers and not only be heard, but get an intellectual response and discussion.. When I was up in Boston they had a 2 hour radio show dedicated to the Bruins. Blew my mind!

The old-guard NY media here are hindering the market.. They are setting it back 2+ decades by making hockey out to be like some niche sport that makes you weird if you follow it enough to care.. We have 3 teams here and our ratings for the Finals last year blew every other city out of the water aside from Chicago and Boston.. I get that having 4 teams amongst the 2 biggest sports, plus the Knicks when they are relevant (and I guess moving to NY made the Nets noteworthy all of a sudden?) BUT why are we discussing the same NFL or MLB off-season sh!t over and over and over again Tuesday through Thursday when there are hockey games on. I mean we can't take one hour to dedicate to hockey in all of that? I think they are afraid of it for some reason, otherwise why treat talking hockey like it's taboo and, if all of a sudden if you discuss it, no one will listen?

I mean turn on SNY and it's the same.. I tweeted to the host of Loud Mouths after the Devils sale that I thought it was a little ridiculous they could even discuss it for 30 seconds on their like hour long show.. Guy tweeted back that it was a fair point and he brought it up briefly on the next show

I will say that I think it's partially a self-fulfilling prophecy.. The hosts downplay hockey, so people either decide "well I guess no one really does care about it" or "well I won't try to call in for it then", so it gets talked about less, so the hosts don't feel a need to satisfy the market by talking about it when they can just as easily discuss the flavor of the week in the NFL for 20 hours a day and have morons call in to say the same crappy comments all day long

This is very true.  We are in a market that is complete saturated not only by teams, but teams will long traditions.  These NY sports guys are followers of this and do treat hockey as an afterthought mostly because to them, hockey is an afterthought and never really even followed it save for a few broadcasters like LaGrecca and Boomer to an extent.

#32 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Somers is my favorite radio host ever, you have to know it's a joke like CR1976 said. Sure I didn't wanna listen to him after one of the games the devils lost to the rangers in the '12 conf finals, but he's hilarious. Nassau Masoleum, Icelanders etc 

Those things are funny once, now they're just gimmicks. The guy is an idiot. I've always wondered if it was plausible to have New Jersey specific sports media outlets. Obviously, it would make a lot more sense if the Nets had stuck around, but they could still pick up Devils, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Princeton stuff, maybe some minor league baseball. I don't know specific figures of what the Devils get from their tv and radio contracts, but I'm sure it's astronomically higher than a New Jersey specific outlet could offer. One day, I'm sure. I don't know of many other places with a population as high as North/Central New Jersey that don't have their own major media sources.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

That's always been my pet peeve with local talk radio - specifically Francesa - I understand devoting Monday and Friday to the NFL and prioritizing baseball when it's actually 'in' season but it's like they feel they have to invent reasons not to talk hockey on other days. Francesa doesn't even do that much NBA anymore (aside from the occasional Knick ripping) so it's not even like his show is talking about the Knicks or Nets on those days, no it's literally become baseball/football 24/7 as opposed to sports 24/7.

What makes it particularly annoying with Mike is he's the top host at a station where the Devils are actually broadcast and he doesn't even bother to promote the product. He'll do one interview with Lou, maybe two every year and that's it. At least the other hosts at the station (Boomer, Joe/Evan, Somers) will talk hockey, though none are Devil fans.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

The morning show is awful too, boomer is too PC, and id rather listen to my own dump go into the bowl in the morning than hear carton speak in his wacky morning zoo voice. Horrible.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 19 November 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

You guys all seem to listen to this stuff a lot.  Bottom line is if the ratings were poor, they'd change elements of these shows.  They're not, so they aren't.

I think having 3 teams in the market hurts sports talk radio.  Sure, most NY area sports fans, if they have a hockey allegiance, are Ranger fans, but the split isn't enough to justify that much Ranger talk because it turns off the other two fanbases.  The other thing is that the demographics for sports talk radio likely skew towards older men (35-54, and older), and hockey is a distant fourth there.

The other element is that I don't think hockey is a very good subject for sports talk radio in general - baseball has all sorts of downtime to obsess about the little details, football has the weekly element, and basketball is probably the best sport for talk radio given that the outcome of every game is meaningful. 

Edited by Triumph, 19 November 2013 - 01:24 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

You guys all seem to listen to this stuff a lot. Bottom line is if the ratings were poor, they'd change elements of these shows. They're not, so they aren't.

I think having 3 teams in the market hurts sports talk radio. Sure, most NY area sports fans, if they have a hockey allegiance, are Ranger fans, but the split isn't enough to justify that much Ranger talk because it turns off the other two fanbases. The other thing is that the demographics for sports talk radio likely skew towards older men (35-54, and older), and hockey is a distant fourth there.

correct. I know on the rare occasion of a michaletti interview I tune out because frankly I don't care. I'm sure the same would happen with ranger or isles fans if Chico or daneyko had a spot.

There is a reason why they don't change their programming or coverage- their ratings are killing. Why change what isn't broke? Heck look how by mike NOT talking hockey we're talking about his show!

#37 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,934 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

FYI, Russo is still on Sirius/XM....he's assembled a group of equally unlistenable trolls for his station on there too.... Dan Patrick..... Adam Schein....oh the pain....MDR was great until Bill Pido left, it's gone piece by piece down the crapper since.... it's a shame.... Satelite radio is a breath of fresh air compared to the NY Sports Drivel....now I listen exclusive to the NFL and NHL (and Busted Open M, W and F) channels and have happy drives throughout the day

Russo and Fatcessa need each other, but other are too damn full of themselves to realize it

Mike defintiely needs a partner, hearing him repeat the same sentence 3 x before he moves on is getting real old... I was Hoping Dog would come back when he was canned by XM, but I guess not...

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#38 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

My criticisms have nothing to do with Mike's refusal to talk hockey...he knows so little about it in general that I'd rather he not speak of it at all. 

With Mike, though there's a LOT that I don't like about him, you kind of know what you're getting, as far as topics go.  A lot of baseball (mostly pro-Yankee and anti-Met).  A lot of NFL football.  Some NBA.  Occasional horse racing.  A lot of NCAA basketball once the tournament starts, at pretty much the expense of everything else.  And of course, whenever a hot topic (like when something new breaks about ARod) comes up, he'll beat it completely into the ground, and keep repeating the same monologues over and over. 

I think Colin pretty much said it all...hockey fans know that Mike isn't the guy to call into to talk hockey, so they don't...but compared to the rest of the teams in the area, there simply aren't nearly as many hardcore fans of the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders as there are of the other sports teams.  The Mets can suck for years on end (they haven't had an 80-win season in five years), but there will still be a LOT of Mets fans calling in, no matter what, and in such volume that a guy like Mike (who I think doesn't really love talking Mets baseball) has no choice.  You'll never see that volume of hockey fans calling into the show, and part of the reason for that is there really aren't that many hockey fans to begin with...not compared to baseball, football, and basketball.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 November 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#39 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Love the man.  I don't listen to sports radio anymore but about 15 or so years ago, I sat next to him during a Nets game.  He was with a date (and what a knockout!) and he was making remarks out of the side of his mouth, so as not to ignore the woman he was with.  Anyone who takes him seriously has got it wrong.  Its all fun and games to that guy.  What a pleasure to be around.

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

FYI, Russo is still on Sirius/XM....he's assembled a group of equally unlistenable trolls for his station on there too.... Dan Patrick..... Adam Schein....oh the pain....MDR was great until Bill Pido left, it's gone piece by piece down the crapper since.... it's a shame.... Satelite radio is a breath of fresh air compared to the NY Sports Drivel....now I listen exclusive to the NFL and NHL (and Busted Open M, W and F) channels and have happy drives throughout the day

Russo and Fatcessa need each other, but other are too damn full of themselves to realize it

For a while, Russo's channel had Dino Costa on in the evening.  For those who don't know, Costa actually used to post on this messageboard for a short while.  Since he is from Colorado originally during the Rockies' years, Costa is actually a huge Devils fan, and would talk about the NHL on his show.  I missed the particular episode, but was told he spent a while talking about Kovy's "retirement".

For those who don't know, he was moved to another station on Sirius in the morning, but was recently fired.    He eventually got a little meshuge in that he spent much of his show injecting his political views into the mix.  It didn't help that those views are very right-wing (not saying there's anything wrong with that, per se, just that it makes corporate types very uncomfortable). 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users