Photo

What does Mike Francesa know about local hockey?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,612 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

For a while, Russo's channel had Dino Costa on in the evening.  For those who don't know, Costa actually used to post on this messageboard for a short while.  Since he is from Colorado originally during the Rockies' years, Costa is actually a huge Devils fan, and would talk about the NHL on his show.  I missed the particular episode, but was told he spent a while talking about Kovy's "retirement".

For those who don't know, he was moved to another station on Sirius in the morning, but was recently fired.    He eventually got a little meshuge in that he spent much of his show injecting his political views into the mix.  It didn't help that those views are very right-wing (not saying there's anything wrong with that, per se, just that it makes corporate types very uncomfortable). 

His "THE RANGERS ARE DEAD" rant for like 15 minutes was one of the greatest things I ever heard on radio :lol:

I liked him....he was different....passionate....and not afraid to stick behind his words....yes some of them were neanderthal (mostly his views on women's sports)....but he was decent enough until he called the UFC "barbaric" and then went to sing the praises about boxing for 20 minutes....I was done with him then.....its a shame, he was ALMOST what I like a sports talk host to be....and man does he HATE Goodell!!!

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#42 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think Colin pretty much said it all...hockey fans know that Mike isn't the guy to call into to talk hockey, so they don't...but compared to the rest of the teams in the area, there simply aren't nearly hardcore fans of the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders as there are of the other sports teams.  The Mets can suck for years on end (they haven't had an 80-win season in five years), but there will still be a LOT of Mets fans calling in, no matter what, and in such volume that a guy like Mike (who I think doesn't really love talking Mets baseball) has no choice.  You'll ever see that volume of hockey fans calling into the show, and part of the reason for that is there really aren't that many hockey fans to begin with...not compared to baseball, football, and basketball.  

While I dont disagree with this, one can argue that its a chicken or the egg theory. If the hosts talked hockey, the hardcore fans would grow, and the existing ones would call in. But, if no host talks hockey, then there will never be a lot of hardcore fans in the market. These hosts wield a large influence.

#43 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

His "THE RANGERS ARE DEAD" rant for like 15 minutes was one of the greatest things I ever heard on radio :lol:

I liked him....he was different....passionate....and not afraid to stick behind his words....yes some of them were neanderthal (mostly his views on women's sports)....but he was decent enough until he called the UFC "barbaric" and then went to sing the praises about boxing for 20 minutes....I was done with him then.....its a shame, he was ALMOST what I like a sports talk host to be....and man does he HATE Goodell!!!

Yeah, I found his political schtick a little tiresome, even though my political views are somewhat in line with his. 

But I loved the fact that he would often say what everyone really thinks, but, for some reason you're not supposed to talk about.  A few examples being how Jim Rome and Stephen A. Smith are two of the biggest non-entities in sports commentary, yet receive enormous salaries.  Another one being the absolute uselessness of on-the-field bimbos during football games. 

Man I wish he was still on the air to talk about the "bullying" of Jonathan Martin.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#44 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

I listen to Boomer and Carton specifically to hear Jerry Recco play Devils highlight clips and harass Boomer about it.. I've even tweeted him a couple times and gotten him to play some clips, which was awesome (though usually Craig is cutting in to make some Knick comment or Boomer spins off into a Rangers tangent)

I just refuse to accept that somehow the NY market is different than Philly or Boston, which actively discuss their hockey teams on sports radio.. I mean are we really saying that hockey is more popular in those cities? I find it hard to believe when we have 3 teams to talk about and our area does great ratings for hockey locally and nationally.. I'll admit that the other cities have fewer teams in the MLB/NFL to talk about, but again, we are talking about stations discussing sports for at least 16 hours a day everyday and they actively exclude hockey from their discussions while taking numerous calls on teams in other cities.. Ok, so maybe Mike doesn't want to bring up the Rangers, but he really can't even take 10 seconds to give a quick comment on their game? I mean it's so obvious that he has an anti-hockey bias

I work with a bunch of guys who are the typical ESPN/WFAN group and none of them are into hockey.. I don't blame them because all of their sports news sources treat hockey like it's cricket being played in India.. I firmly believe that if you had commentators on the FAN regarding hockey as this exciting topic that they would be happy to discuss on air, that it would catch on more.. But if all you ever hear when you turn on the commentators is "No one cares about hockey" then yes, you are likely to not care about hockey.. For some unknown reason, people are actually influenced by what these guys on the radio and TV say.. There is an enormous group of "sheep" sports fans in this area treating the radio talent's word like it has more value than the average Joe's does, and you know how I knw we have that many stupid sheep in this area? Because I listen to them repeatedly call the FAN only to get abused by Mike for their stupid ideas lol

Edited by Colin226, 19 November 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

For a while, Russo's channel had Dino Costa on in the evening.  For those who don't know, Costa actually used to post on this messageboard for a short while.  Since he is from Colorado originally during the Rockies' years, Costa is actually a huge Devils fan, and would talk about the NHL on his show.  I missed the particular episode, but was told he spent a while talking about Kovy's "retirement".

For those who don't know, he was moved to another station on Sirius in the morning, but was recently fired.    He eventually got a little meshuge in that he spent much of his show injecting his political views into the mix.  It didn't help that those views are very right-wing (not saying there's anything wrong with that, per se, just that it makes corporate types very uncomfortable). 

Dino Costa who posted about Marty, then proceeded to type his jersey number as #31 twice?  That guy always seemed a little iffy to me...a bit of a fugazi. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#46 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

Dino Costa who posted about Marty, then proceeded to type his jersey number as #31 twice?  That guy always seemed a little iffy to me...a bit of a fugazi. 

You saying it was a Dino Costa impersonator, or that Dino's a goldbricker? 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#47 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

I mean turn on SNY and it's the same.. I tweeted to the host of Loud Mouths after the Devils sale that I thought it was a little ridiculous they could even discuss it for 30 seconds on their like hour long show.. Guy tweeted back that it was a fair point and he brought it up briefly on the next show

if it was andrew catalon who fills in from time to time, he's a huge devils fan forever and would talk hockey plenty if the producers felt it was worth it.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

if it was andrew catalon who fills in from time to time, he's a huge devils fan forever and would talk hockey plenty if the producers felt it was worth it.

And he's got the Kevin Todd jersey to prove it.

Posted Image

#49 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

I listen to Boomer and Carton specifically to hear Jerry Recco play Devils highlight clips and harass Boomer about it.. I've even tweeted him a couple times and gotten him to play some clips, which was awesome (though usually Craig is cutting in to make some Knick comment or Boomer spins off into a Rangers tangent)

I just refuse to accept that somehow the NY market is different than Philly or Boston, which actively discuss their hockey teams on sports radio.. I mean are we really saying that hockey is more popular in those cities? I find it hard to believe when we have 3 teams to talk about and our area does great ratings for hockey locally and nationally.. I'll admit that the other cities have fewer teams in the MLB/NFL to talk about, but again, we are talking about stations discussing sports for at least 16 hours a day everyday and they actively exclude hockey from their discussions while taking numerous calls on teams in other cities.. Ok, so maybe Mike doesn't want to bring up the Rangers, but he really can't even take 10 seconds to give a quick comment on their game? I mean it's so obvious that he has an anti-hockey bias

I work with a bunch of guys who are the typical ESPN/WFAN group and none of them are into hockey.. I don't blame them because all of their sports news sources treat hockey like it's cricket being played in India.. I firmly believe that if you had commentators on the FAN regarding hockey as this exciting topic that they would be happy to discuss on air, that it would catch on more.. But if all you ever hear when you turn on the commentators is "No one cares about hockey" then yes, you are likely to not care about hockey.. For some unknown reason, people are actually influenced by what these guys on the radio and TV say.. There is an enormous group of "sheep" sports fans in this area treating the radio talent's word like it has more value than the average Joe's does, and you know how I knw we have that many stupid sheep in this area? Because I listen to them repeatedly call the FAN only to get abused by Mike for their stupid ideas lol

Two NFL teams (both with big-time fanbases), two MLB teams (also both with big-time fanbases), two NBA teams (curious to see if moving to Brooklyn moves the Nets up the ladder, in terms of people caring)...the market is different, simply because with these other sports, there literally is twice as much to talk about.  The Bruins and Flyers are "competing" with only three other pro teams.  We may have three hockey teams in relatively close proximity, but in terms of air time, they're competing with at least five entities that are higher on a lot of fans' food chains. 

Mike has nothing to offer on hockey...he doesn't watch, and he doesn't seem to have any positive feelings about it.  I don't care what sports talk show hosts say about hockey...if they don't care, doesn't mean I'll stop caring.  I'll give you that, as the Devils' flagship station, the WFAN should probably pay some (any) attention to what the team is doing, but Fatso has so much undeserved clout at that station, that if there was acutally a meeting at any point about Mike adding Devils talk to his show, it was probably a three-minute session, tops, and I'm pretty sure how it ended.

You saying it was a Dino Costa impersonator, or that Dino's a goldbricker? 

I couldn't figure him out.  He came across as a guy trying way too hard to show the world he bleeds red and black.  Came across as a phony.  And that #31 was very odd.  If you don't know much about a guy like Claude Vilgrain or Andy Brickley, fine, but mistakenly posting Marty's jersey number as 31 (more than once) is just bizarre. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#50 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if Fatcessa hates hockey because it's not an American sport as the NFL, NBA, MLB are

he seems like the prejudice type

#51 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

But CR they won't even take calls on the sport! I still think that, even given all of the other teams for more popular sports in our market, they could still easily slip hockey in if they actually wanted to mention it (Do 30 minutes of hockey every Wednesday and, assuming they talk sports for 16 hours total that day, we are talking less than 10% of one day devoted to local hockey).. But they won't even really take any calls on the sport when it's not the playoffs.. That's just unacceptable to me

Edited by Colin226, 19 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#52 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

If Mike Francesa wanted to clear the lines and do 5 hours on hockey, he could, and he'd have plenty of callers. He just chooses not to because he doesn't like hockey. Period. There are plenty of hockey fans in the Tri-State area. But there are a lot more fans of the other sports, so hockey largely gets ignored.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Mike Francesa will turn 60 in March.  60 year old guys tend not to be hockey fans, the sport wasn't on TV very much in the 60s and 70s.  It used to be said about the Rangers that the only 18,000 hockey fans in New York were the people who went to see the Rangers' games.  And that's the mentality among certain types of sports fans to this day - baseball, football, basketball, and maybe they're a casual hockey fan, if that.

It's only with the rise of cable TV that hockey is available to people on a regular basis.  

Edited by Triumph, 19 November 2013 - 04:08 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

But CR they won't even take calls on the sport! I still think that, even given all of the other teams for more popular sports in our market, they could still easily slip hockey in if they actually wanted to mention it.. But they won't even really take any calls on the sport when it's not the playoffs.. That's just unacceptable to me

Who is "they"?  I agree, it's obvious Mike doesn't really want anything to do with hockey from a caller standpoint, there's no disputing that, but I've heard Joe and Evan take hockey calls...Boomer talks about Ranger games...they don't ignore it completely. 

Mike is an old reactionary dog who clearly isn't interested in learning new tricks.  He's almost 60 years old...sadly, I don't think he's ever going to have a "Eureka, I LOVE hockey, where has this been all my life?!" moment at this stage of his life.  So unfortunately, when it comes to him and his show only, yeah, you're never going to get him to talk hockey, and even if you could, it would be like talking to someone who barely follows the game.  You know more hockey than he ever will.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 November 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#55 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

If Mike Francesa wanted to clear the lines and do 5 hours on hockey, he could, and he'd have plenty of callers. He just chooses not to because he doesn't like hockey. Period. There are plenty of hockey fans in the Tri-State area. But there are a lot more fans of the other sports, so hockey largely gets ignored.

And it would promptly be a disaster.  Remember, Mike knows very little about hockey.  Within the first hour callers would be saying "fvck this, this guy doesn't know jack sh!t, why the hell am I wasting my time."

What you really need is for Mike to retire.  The next guy who takes his slot might very well be willing to talk hockey and might be knowledgable enough to do it where everyone involved (callers, listeners, and host) is having a good time. 

#30 FOREVER!

#56 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Who is "they"?  I agree, it's obvious Mike doesn't really want anything to do with hockey from a caller standpoint, there's no disputing that, but I've heard Joe and Evan take hockey calls...Boomer talks about Ranger games...they don't ignore it completely. 

Mike is an old reactionary dog who clearly isn't interested in learning new tricks.  He's almost 60 years old...sadly, I don't think he's ever going to have a "Eureka, I LOVE hockey, where has this been all my life?!" moment at this stage of his life.  So unfortunately, when it comes to him and his show only, yeah, you're never going to get him to talk hockey, and even if you could, it would be like talking to someone who barely follows the game.  You know more hockey than he ever will.      

I mean yeah I guess I'm mainly zoning in on Mike.. But for every hockey reference Boomer makes (Rangers 99.99% of the time), you have Craig screaming that no one care about hockey.. Sadly, things Craig says do resonate with people like a Jedi mind-trick on the weak.. Joe and Evan are good though, I give them props.. Somers used to be entertaining but he lost me when, one time a while back, the Devils ended a 5 game win streak and the Rangers ended a 5 game losing streak.. His comment was "the Devils lose tonight, falling into a slump while the Rangers are playing hot and poised to make a run".. I mean, really Steve?

It's the fact that they seemingly can't fit in hockey talk, yet can take calls all week long on the same god damn topics relating to the Jets/Giants/Yankees or whatever sports drama is hot that week.. I mean B&C take calls on Geno Smith, then J&E do the same, the Mike does it... And then they repeat the process all week long........ God forbid the refs blow a call in a crucial spot during any NFL game, then we have to hear 40 hours of calls and discussion that week about it

Posted Image

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Colin:  You're betraying the fact that you listen to this stuff a lot.  Sports talk radio is by its nature repetitive, people are constantly tuning in and out, so they have to accentuate the few big sports stories.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#58 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Unbelievable Mike can watch at least a few hockey games a year and still not have any idea what is happening on the ice.

Posted Image

#59 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Is this mike francesa? Did mike francesa make an njdevs.com account? Haha mike is not honest about being clueless about hockey, he just says ahh we're not talking about that yet its too early. Yet he'll talk about baseball for 3 hours in november. The prank calls make his show good. Tj in new hyde park had the best, "hey mike who do you think has lower expectations on a nightly basis, the new york islanders or your wife?"

Hes got zero sense of humor and thats why he gets pranked daily. If he laughed about falling asleep, or being wrong about the weather people wouldnt hate him. You shouldnt be in the primetime radio spot in NY with no knowledge of hockey

I sure hope you posted this (bolded) in jest about Joe B..  He makes a valid point.  btw Joe has been a poster since the beginning of this site. :)

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#60 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

The irony is Francesa and Russo were actually following the Rangers around like lapdogs in '94 even doing live remotes, then barely paid attention to the Devils in '95.  Obviously some of that was a 'NY bias' as well as the Rangers' whole curse story and post-lockout hangover during '95 but still.

No I don't actually listen to him much these days (more because of Mike's anti-Jet obsession and yes the fact he's a boring solo host), but I get the gist of what he talks about and how much he talks about it by the subject of his monologue and who he interviews on the WFAN podcasts, plus his general history.  I do listen sometimes when he has Pierre McGuire interviews during the playoffs.  Pierre's not usually a favorite, but he's probably at his best when he's 'educating' people on hockey and Mike actually lets him - he's one of the few guys he doesn't talk over afaik.

And sadly the ESPN show really isn't any better and everyone knows Steven A. Smith is a basketball guy first and foremost, but at least you get some pro-Jets talk THERE since it is the flagship station.  I wouldn't expect them to talk hockey since they don't have it on their TV network though.  That's what makes WFAN worse compared to ESPN, ironically.  At least ESPN has an instituitionalized excuse not to talk hockey.  

But it's not like I don't listen to sports talk radio for the other stuff.  Obviously there's a market for it, and yes satelite radio offers specialized tastes for everyone but it's just ridiculous that's ALL WFAN/ESPN talk about all the time in the afternoon.  I can't often listen to satelite radio till I get home on the computer.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 November 2013 - 06:28 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users