Photo

What does Mike Francesa know about local hockey?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

The "who cares about hockey!" anger from some people confuses me. Since when did ragging on other sports become a thing? Are people threatened by it or something lol. Growing up, it seemed people respected all sports and at least tried to keep up on championships and such. But today it's just venom and disgust towards hockey from people like Carton. Compounding this, like Colin says, is that the listeners are sheep and parrot along with what they perceive to be popular. I wish people would think for themselves and not look for what's popular. Every buzzword parroted by the media like something is "trending" or "liked" just reinforces our society that one has to follow what is perceived as popular. It's childish...but now I'm rambling like an old man so leme stop there.

#62 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

The "who cares about hockey!" anger from some people confuses me. Since when did ragging on other sports become a thing? Are people threatened by it or something lol. Growing up, it seemed people respected all sports and at least tried to keep up on championships and such. But today it's just venom and disgust towards hockey from people like Carton. Compounding this, like Colin says, is that the listeners are sheep and parrot along with what they perceive to be popular. I wish people would think for themselves and not look for what's popular. Every buzzword parroted by the media like something is "trending" or "liked" just reinforces our society that one has to follow what is perceived as popular. It's childish...but now I'm rambling like an old man so leme stop there.

Good point, I don't get it either.  I had a different experience growing up, I was one of very few kids in my school who was into hockey, and I constantly had to defend the sport and explain why it's fun to watch and play.  I didn't bother attacking everyone else's sports and could not understand why people felt the need to trash hockey all the time.  I'm no psychologist or anything, but I wonder if at least part of it is that when guys aren't able to contribute to sports conversations it makes them feel less manly or something, so instead of saying, "I don't really know much about hockey," they have to defend their lack of knowledge by dismissing the sport as not worthy of their time anyway.

Edited by devilsfan26, 20 November 2013 - 02:01 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#63 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

While we're on the topic of local sports media, did anyone watch the Rangers game tonight?  During intermission they do this segment called MSG 150 where they quickly go over a bunch of different sports topics in 150 seconds.  Today they spent literally half the time going over today being the 30th anniversary of the Oilers beating the Devils 13-4 and Gretzky calling the Devils a Mickey Mouse operation.  At first I wondered to myself is there anyone out there that actually still gives a crap about this game, and then as this topic went on for as long as all the other topics they talked about during this segment combined, showing highlights and quotes etc., I just had to laugh at how much effort was put into just bashing the Devils over an early regular season game that happened three decades ago.  Aside from the Rangers, the Islanders and Knicks also had games tonight, but no this, THIS is big news and we must make sure everyone is aware and well-informed about it.

Edited by devilsfan26, 20 November 2013 - 02:10 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#64 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Just go ahead and bring up basketball in a random thread and see how people feel about it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#65 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

When WFAN gets someone to sponsor a hockey show they will air one.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#66 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

While we're on the topic of local sports media, did anyone watch the Rangers game tonight?  During intermission they do this segment called MSG 150 where they quickly go over a bunch of different sports topics in 150 seconds.  Today they spent literally half the time going over today being the 30th anniversary of the Oilers beating the Devils 13-4 and Gretzky calling the Devils a Mickey Mouse operation.  At first I wondered to myself is there anyone out there that actually still gives a crap about this game, and then as this topic went on for as long as all the other topics they talked about during this segment combined, showing highlights and quotes etc., I just had to laugh at how much effort was put into just bashing the Devils over an early regular season game that happened three decades ago.  Aside from the Rangers, the Islanders and Knicks also had games tonight, but no this, THIS is big news and we must make sure everyone is aware and well-informed about it.

Just like when they went through with the "Rise of the Devils" program a few years back, more than half of it was dedicated to that game alone.  It amazes me how disrespected the Devils are on their own cable and radio networks.  I really hope they move to YES or SNY when the cable deal is up in a few years.

Posted Image

#67 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Just like when they went through with the "Rise of the Devils" program a few years back, more than half of it was dedicated to that game alone.  It amazes me how disrespected the Devils are on their own cable and radio networks.  I really hope they move to YES or SNY when the cable deal is up in a few years.

Their cable deal isn't up for at least a decade, and MSG offers advantages that SNY can't possibly offer.  Where are Devils playoff games going to go in the spring?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#68 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Just like when they went through with the "Rise of the Devils" program a few years back, more than half of it was dedicated to that game alone.  It amazes me how disrespected the Devils are on their own cable and radio networks.

I wouldn't be bothered with that if they did other Devils related from the Vault specials like that one. Its been how long since that one? Not like there aren't other games to show highlights of

#69 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

I've always been aggravated that MSG constantly airs behind-the-scenes kind of stuff on the Rangers, and nothing outside of gameday stuff for the Devils, or Islanders for that matter.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#70 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I've always been aggravated that MSG constantly airs behind-the-scenes kind of stuff on the Rangers, and nothing outside of gameday stuff for the Devils, or Islanders for that matter.

The Devils are apparently paid quite well by MSG network.  It ultimately benefits the team as a going concern, which is much more important to me than a bunch of fluff pieces that I wouldn't watch anyway, the same way I wouldn't care about a half hour program devoted to Ryan McDonough's upbringing if I were a Ranger fan.  If the Devils can get even a dollar more from MSG than another network, I'd take that over getting to watch "Behind the Scenes with Stephen GIonta".

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#71 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

The Devils are apparently paid quite well by MSG network.  It ultimately benefits the team as a going concern, which is much more important to me than a bunch of fluff pieces that I wouldn't watch anyway, the same way I wouldn't care about a half hour program devoted to Ryan McDonough's upbringing if I were a Ranger fan.  If the Devils can get even a dollar more from MSG than another network, I'd take that over getting to watch "Behind the Scenes with Stephen GIonta".

Derek Dorsett "Beginnings" LOL! Why???  :unsure:  

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#72 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

FYI, Russo is still on Sirius/XM....he's assembled a group of equally unlistenable trolls for his station on there too.... Dan Patrick..... Adam Schein....oh the pain....MDR was great until Bill Pido left, it's gone piece by piece down the crapper since.... it's a shame.... Satelite radio is a breath of fresh air compared to the NY Sports Drivel....now I listen exclusive to the NFL and NHL (and Busted Open M, W and F) channels and have happy drives throughout the day

Russo and Fatcessa need each other, but other are too damn full of themselves to realize it

Russo's a lot better solo host than Francesa.  Plus he actually engages Torre on-air to the point where he almost has a partner anyway.  He doesn't need Francesa, he needs WFAN.  Francesa can just coast staying on a well-known network with his name recognition while Russo started a national subscription radio station from the ground up and business isn't all that great afaik (his program got cut back from 5 hours to 3).  

Hockey fans get a bit uppity about basketball too, but because basketball's big brother it just comes off a little brother sniping under his breath as opposed to the basketball fans laughing at hockey fans because they're the cool kids.  I don't know very many people that like both hockey and basketball, it's usually one or the other.

Big deal, you can get that stuff from the Devils website/YouTube anyway.  If MSG's not going to air any Devils stuff of consequence besides the games no skin off my nose, I don't have to help them get ratings for anything except Devil games.

Edited by NJDevs26, 20 November 2013 - 06:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users