88 replies to this topic

#41 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Overall, Eric has done a great job IMO.  I don't blame him at all and I can see the reasoning behind this policy change.  However, it has directly led to the building being empty, and the energy in the arena this season is lacking because of it.  Unless they severely discount the ticket prices next year, we will see the same thing again.  For me, that's just not worth it.   There just aren't any walk-up sales for Devils games (99% of commuters working in Newark speed out of there at 5 p.m. like they stole a car in Grand Theft Auto IV), and there are too many families and casual fans that attend only 1-3 games per season.  I can't see how they think they will convert these people into plan holders because they (a) don't have the money for it, or (b) aren't inclined to make that kind of commitment for whatever reason.  Seems like pie in the sky stuff that sounds great, but in reality is never going to happen. 

Posted Image

#42 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

I generally print the my tickets for the game, or forward them if I can not make to friends. The last game I tried this I think my friend had to PAY to print them. Prior to that game it was FREE. I will see if there is a cost for the 11/25 game, if there is...

Was that this season?  I thought they changed it the other way around--I thought it used to cost money to forward your tickets but now it is free.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#43 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Colin, the thing is the email Eric sent out would make sense if there was a wait list for STH but there is obviously not.  Why get season tickets when even at STH prices the tickets are much higher than on stubhub?  The prices are completely dopey even at the STH discount.

This is just my experience of course, but I've noticed the opposite. Deals on StubHub aren't cheaper than what my tickets cost me in section 119.

One thing to keep in mind is they re-priced a number of general sections. Some areas of the arena are priced drastically lower than they used to be, and others were priced up a few dollars. Me personally, I'm paying less for games this year than I did a couple years ago, that's my current experience.

#44 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

This is just my experience of course, but I've noticed the opposite. Deals on StubHub aren't cheaper than what my tickets cost me in section 119.

One thing to keep in mind is they re-priced a number of general sections. Some areas of the arena are priced drastically lower than they used to be, and others were priced up a few dollars. Me personally, I'm paying less for games this year than I did a couple years ago, that's my current experience.

I saw in 106 at the Vancouver game that I got on Stubhub for $28 and the single game price is $59 and I believe that the STH is still a decent amount higher than $28.  I often do not go to the Rangers/Philly/Pens type of games because they are indeed expensive so I always get cheaper than face and STH on stubhub. 

#45 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Colin, the thing is the email Eric sent out would make sense if there was a wait list for STH but there is obviously not.  Why get season tickets when even at STH prices the tickets are much higher than on stubhub?  The prices are completely dopey even at the STH discount.  About 3-4 years ago I crunched numbers and based on attending 18 games that year all via the secondary market or NJ Devils discount deals, I saved about $800 based on just the cheapest season tickets available at that time for 2 tickets (and more often via stubhub I had better seats than the ST seats were).  I saved a ton of money and the perks like ice cream suite and meet and greets are not worth $800 extra at least to me.

This email to me sounded like it could have come from Bill Wirtz Sr. before he died.  Am I going to expect an email in a couple of years now saying that to provide a better value to our STH we are going to black out all home games because it is unfair to the STH who pay good money to see the games.  I know that is far-fetched at this point but to me this email is in the same vein.

But see that's also from a strictly "just want to get in the door for select games at the cheapest possible price" mentality.. There is no way the team can ever make a package that provides you with that while still generating revenue.. And to be fair, a lot of times the cheapest seats on StubHub are well below what anyone is paying for those seats.. Either the person got them for free, or they're taking a loss.. No matter how low they drop prices, there will always be STH willing to take a loss on games.. If they made season tickets $1, you would see them on StubHub for $0.25

FWIW, for the next 3 home games on StubHub, if you just want to get in the door and sit anywhere, you'll be paying about $75.. I'm paying $78 for those 3 games but also will have free food via the F/B cards, plus all of the other perks that I do value as a STH.. Again, if all you value is the absolute cheapest seat to a game and don't mind shopping for tickets to a bunch of games, then season tickets aren't the right option.. There is also some sentimentality that comes with it.. Owning season tickets is not a game or business

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#46 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

You guys are wayyyy overreacting. The amount of games last year that were on LivingSocial and Groupon was insane. If you start that culture of discounting almost EVERY game of the season, you'll end up like Florida in a few years, where people will be expecting $8 tickets for a game on Saturday night.

I'm sure they'll reintroduce College Nights, I'm sure they'll keep their family packs and other small discounts here and there, but you can't throw season ticket holders under the bus like they did last year with every game being on LivingSocial and people getting discount tickets and a free t-shirt every night. It left a bad taste in all our mouths. 

I think the guy's email is meant to say that those casual LivingSocial people (which were a lot of tourists, I noticed) don't mean dick to the future of the franchise. I don't think he's lumping in game-by-game purchases and people who go to 10-20 games a year.

The way I see it, the allure of ST for Devils games were never cheaper tickets as there have always been the option of getting them cheaper on the secondary market, but instead the main selling point were the perks and the same seats for every game.  Those perks mean nothing to me as they are not worth the extra money you drop for season tickets.

I also feel a little offended by what Eric is saying that us game-by-game people who look for deals don't mean dick to the future.  Without us like many have said, the building is at best 75% full.  Again his email would make sense if the building was sold out every night but they are not selling out every night and there is no waiting list for season tickets.  I go to 10-20 games a year and I am only able to do so because of LivingSocial, Groupon, Group and stubhub deals.  Maybe if the Devils fixed their dopey STH pricing scheme maybe then I can re-consider and actually afford to take them up on their ST offers.  Until then they can go fvck themselves.

#47 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I saw in 106 at the Vancouver game that I got on Stubhub for $28 and the single game price is $59 and I believe that the STH is still a decent amount higher than $28.  I often do not go to the Rangers/Philly/Pens type of games because they are indeed expensive so I always get cheaper than face and STH on stubhub. 

Depends what row in 106.. I think some people still pay between $25 - $30 to sit in the balconies over there for certain games.. But again, you skip the biggest draw games (NYR/Philly/Pitt) so, like I said, it's further proof season tickets wouldn't make sense for you.. Part of the value is getting the great deal to those games and of course if you skip them you'll be avoiding paying the premiums on those and will save money on the less desirable games..

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#48 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

But see that's also from a strictly "just want to get in the door for select games at the cheapest possible price" mentality.. There is no way the team can ever make a package that provides you with that while still generating revenue.. And to be fair, a lot of times the cheapest seats on StubHub are well below what anyone is paying for those seats.. Either the person got them for free, or they're taking a loss.. No matter how low they drop prices, there will always be STH willing to take a loss on games.. If they made season tickets $1, you would see them on StubHub for $0.25

FWIW, for the next 3 home games on StubHub, if you just want to get in the door and sit anywhere, you'll be paying about $75.. I'm paying $78 for those 3 games but also will have free food via the F/B cards, plus all of the other perks that I do value as a STH.. Again, if all you value is the absolute cheapest seat to a game and don't mind shopping for tickets to a bunch of games, then season tickets aren't the right option.. There is also some sentimentality that comes with it.. Owning season tickets is not a game or business

Those prices always go down the closer you get to the game.  I'll bet it will be closer to $40-50 for all 3 games.

#49 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Depends what row in 106.. I think some people still pay between $25 - $30 to sit in the balconies over there for certain games.. But again, you skip the biggest draw games (NYR/Philly/Pitt) so, like I said, it's further proof season tickets wouldn't make sense for you.. Part of the value is getting the great deal to those games and of course if you skip them you'll be avoiding paying the premiums on those and will save money on the less desirable games..

I sat in row 5 and the price I gave is based on the row.

I don't need to see the biggest draws.  I have just as much fun seeing them play the Panthers as I do the Rangers.  Yeah I have seen a ton of Carolina, Florida, TB, Buffalo and Ottawa the past few years but I still get the same pleasure out of it seeing them play the Pens or Philly.

I know ST are a give and take but my main arguement is the tone of that email.  The pricing scheme is dopey and that is why you always see pockets of empty seats in the same exact sections every game this year.  Maybe they should fix them instead of calling some STH brokers and then badmouthing game-by-game people like me.  One additional advantage of being a game by game person is that if I want to go, I just go buy tickets to it.  If I can't make it, I don't buy tickets so I do not have to worry about selling them or giving them away.  The Devils now make it very hard for STH to sell their extras as they almost force you to go through TicketExchange where they are rarely sold (believe me I have tried that website and its much worse than SH)

#50 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

I sat in row 5 and the price I gave is based on the row.

I don't need to see the biggest draws.  I have just as much fun seeing them play the Panthers as I do the Rangers.

That's you, though... I personally like seeing us beat up the Rangers 4-0 in our arena for $23, and for those nights, my STH deal is worth it. It's as simple as that, really.

Edited by DJ Eco, 20 November 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#51 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

I know ST are a give and take but my main arguement is the tone of that email. 

I don't think they sat down and drafted that email keeping in mind how the non STH people on Devils forums would feel. I thought it was an honest and rational way to approach their STH base. I don't think it was meant to be plastered all over the internet.

#52 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

That's you, though... I personally like seeing us beat up the Rangers 4-0 in our arena for $23, and for those nights, my STH deal is worth it.

And that is you.  I just don't like the Devils basically saying that fans like me mean squat to the franchise and I could easily watch those games on TV.

Again I am not blaming you or saying you are in the wrong for being a STH or wanting to go to those games, I just don't like what the Devils are saying about fans like me who Stubhub it and deal it on a game by game basis.

#53 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

The way I see it, the allure of ST for Devils games were never cheaper tickets as there have always been the option of getting them cheaper on the secondary market, but instead the main selling point were the perks and the same seats for every game.  Those perks mean nothing to me as they are not worth the extra money you drop for season tickets.

I also feel a little offended by what Eric is saying that us game-by-game people who look for deals don't mean dick to the future.  Without us like many have said, the building is at best 75% full.  Again his email would make sense if the building was sold out every night but they are not selling out every night and there is no waiting list for season tickets.  I go to 10-20 games a year and I am only able to do so because of LivingSocial, Groupon, Group and stubhub deals.  Maybe if the Devils fixed their dopey STH pricing scheme maybe then I can re-consider and actually afford to take them up on their ST offers.  Until then they can go fvck themselves.

You're really taking this personally dude.. Please highlight which parts of his email were so offensive to folks like you.. He's not saying that they don't value you, he is saying they want to make sure the STH/partial plan holders receive the absolute best value from the team in terms of price and perks.. Undercutting STH directly via the deals you've taken part in is unacceptable and should be suspended (and he is saying they only offered these deals to get casual fans more interested in the game, not to provide a cheaper way in for folks as passionate as you, though I don't blame you for acting on a good deal).. Some STH on StubHub losing money by selling you their tickets for less than even they paid is their right, and the team will never be able to truly stop that from happening

I just don't see what type of ticket plan could ever work for you, that guarantees you the best price with ultimate flexibility to get money back on games you don't want to attend.. You're a special case IMO and I don't think most fans go to such great lengths for the best deals to 10-20 games a season, while also not caring at all about any perks whatsoever.. The STH base grew exponentially after those were instated, and they're easily better than any other team in the area outside of the Red Bulls

Posted Image

#54 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I don't think they sat down and drafted that email keeping in mind how the non STH people on Devils forums would feel. I thought it was an honest and rational way to approach their STH base. I don't think it was meant to be plastered all over the internet.

Yeah that last part is probably true lol.

Should the Devils take care of their STH and put their needs above the day to day people like me?  Sure and that makes sense and I don't mind that one bit.  Hell I was one of those people who thought they handled the Draft day tickets the best way they could.  However, to basically trash us in the same breath really pisses me off.  Maybe I am indeed overreacting but I do not like the tone of that email.

#55 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

And that is you.  I just don't like the Devils basically saying that fans like me mean squat to the franchise and I could easily watch those games on TV.

Again I am not blaming you or saying you are in the wrong for being a STH or wanting to go to those games, I just don't like what the Devils are saying about fans like me who Stubhub it and deal it on a game by game basis.

I didn't see them mention StubHub or getting single tickets, you're putting words in their mouth. I read that email and all I got out of it was that they were doing away with all that LivingSocial and Groupon bullsh!t before STH cancel their plans altogether. I know at least 10 STHers that wrote angry emails last year that they felt like they were thrown under the bus.

They're talking about actively putting an end to things under their control like LivingSocial and Groupon. They have no direct effect on people buying on StubHub or single-game tickets, I don't know why you think they're talking about that. 

#56 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

You're really taking this personally dude.. Please highlight which parts of his email were so offensive to folks like you.. He's not saying that they don't value you, he is saying they want to make sure the STH/partial plan holders receive the absolute best value from the team in terms of price and perks.. Undercutting STH directly via the deals you've taken part in is unacceptable and should be suspended (and he is saying they only offered these deals to get casual fans more interested in the game, not to provide a cheaper way in for folks as passionate as you, though I don't blame you for acting on a good deal).. Some STH on StubHub losing money by selling you their tickets for less than even they paid is their right, and the team will never be able to truly stop that from happening

I just don't see what type of ticket plan could ever work for you, that guarantees you the best price with ultimate flexibility to get money back on games you don't want to attend.. You're a special case IMO and I don't think most fans go to such great lengths for the best deals to 10-20 games a season, while also not caring at all about any perks whatsoever.. The STH base grew exponentially after those were instated, and they're easily better than any other team in the area outside of the Red Bulls

I really would like to see those numbers.  I mean if the STH base has grown so dramatically the last few years, where are they?  All I see are numbers for new STH but I never see about how many were lost or retained.  Therefore I take those numbers with a grain of salt but I digress.

As for the email, eh maybe I am overreacting and turning an anthill into a moutain, but damn that whole "value-focused" fans part was a bit grating. 

I didn't see them mention StubHub or getting single tickets, you're putting words in their mouth. I read that email and all I got out of it was that they were doing away with all that LivingSocial and Groupon bullsh!t before STH cancel their plans altogether. I know at least 10 STHers that wrote angry emails last year that they felt like they were thrown under the bus.

They're talking about actively putting an end to things under their control like LivingSocial and Groupon. They have no direct effect on people buying on StubHub or single-game tickets, I don't know why you think they're talking about that. 

Eh reading it again I can see your point.  I guess I am overreacting.

Dammit thanks for making me feel like SD just now lol.

#57 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

The STH base grew exponentially after those were instated, and they're easily better than any other team in the area outside of the Red Bulls

Red Bulls is a good example of what some people on here are talking about. I don't know exact numbers but I'd say 50-70% of the arena's tickets on any given gamenight were given away for free or cheap corporate tickets.

For a sport like soccer that still has tons of room to grow, it makes sense. Especially to people who aren't yet into the sport, the atmosphere is EVERYTHING, and the atmosphere there is unmatched (vs. any sport in the local area: football, basketball, baseball, etc.) when that place is full. 

I don't think there's any way they have 11,000 season ticket holders, I'd probably put it more around 6,000 but they do a DECENT (not great, but decent) job at getting walkups and randoms to come week by week, which is easier since games are spaced out weekly.

#58 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Eh reading it again I can see your point.  I guess I am overreacting.

Dammit thanks for making me feel like SD just now lol.

All good man :)

#59 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

I mean we can all have our strong opinions one way or another but in the end, we have the deep-pocketed ownership to keep the team stable for the foreseeable future.. This is one ticket manager's strategy for growth and it'll either succeed, fail, or have no impact.. So whatever your view of it is, sit back and enjoy because it's going to play itself out regardless lol

Posted Image

#60 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Being a Devils STH is a labor of love.  :)

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users