254 replies to this topic

#221 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

The idea is to have a good mix of both offensive D-men and defensive D-men. You need both. Daneyko was never an offensive guy, and Stevens became more of a defensive guy from '96 on who would occasionally pitch in. '

The problem with defensive defensemen is they tend to get noticed when they're not getting the job done, mostly because their positive contributions don't often lead to glamour numbers (goals and assists).

Going forward in this era, it's a disaster to dress multiple one dimensional guys. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sal and Volch both in the lineup tend to bring out the worst in each other. I think there's always a spot for one shutdown, pking, hard hitting, shot blocking defensemen on the roster. Likewise, there's always a spot for supreme blue line offensive talent who might have a lot of warts in their own end. More than one on either offensive or defensive really pushes it.

The rest of the four, you really want to see as many two way defenders as you can. Think Larsson, Greene, Fanye. Not necessarily guys that score, but guys who have somewhat of a clue as what they're doing if they join a rush. Fortunately, I think that's what a lot of us get excited about, with Merrill, Severson, and Gelinas coming up - they all seem to have that two way ability. Not to mention Sanaiti or whatever his name is. An offensive game remains to be seen, but it looks like he could be that shutdown guy for the next decade by all accounts.

#222 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

I really think if we had Gelinas in the lineup from Game 1 we would have at least another 2 wins on the year...

Better late than never

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#223 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

The Devils' PK is hurting.  The shots against numbers have been climbing since Volchenkov went out of the lineup - they were around 40 shots/60, now they are at 44.4, which is a pretty big jump for the 4 games that Volchenkov has been out.  The Devils as a whole are still preventing shots 5 on 5 but that's because they have a shot preventer like Fayne to jump right in when Volchenkov gets hurt.

Either way, not the greatest win last night but I'll take it.  I was most impressed with NJ's 3rd period start - they haven't come out real good in 3rd periods even in games where they are trailing, but they did last night.  

Brunner needs a jump-start playing with Elias.  You can see Brunner has good speed but he's making bad reads with and without the puck - it's like his defensive game became passable at the expense of the rest of his game.  I think/hope he'll get it soon.

i agree with that you need warriors like that, but in todays NHL i'm pretty sure you don't need 2, especially 2 old overpaid ones. Volchenkov and Salvador are pretty much the same player. But they'll still cost us goals by being caught flatfooted and not able to get back to the guy or wtv cause they are really slow. How i wish they'd get rid of one of them at least to give Fayne the chance to really establish himself so that he doesnt run away from this organization at the second he can.

www.SterioDesign.com

#224 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

i agree with that you need warriors like that, but in todays NHL i'm pretty sure you don't need 2, especially 2 old overpaid ones. Volchenkov and Salvador are pretty much the same player. But they'll still cost us goals by being caught flatfooted and not able to get back to the guy or wtv cause they are really slow. How i wish they'd get rid of one of them at least to give Fayne the chance to really establish himself so that he doesnt run away from this organization at the second he can.

They also save goals by being good positionally and blocking shots.  It's just that you rarely see those goals, whereas you do see them being flat-footed and giving up goals that way and you blame them for that.  I agree that both are not needed.

Fayne is really not much better than either Salvador or Volchenkov offensively.  It looked like he was from the first year he was here, but he isn't.  He can lead a rush up the ice a little better, but that seldom happens.

Edited by Triumph, 21 November 2013 - 10:18 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#225 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

I really think if we had Gelinas in the lineup from Game 1 we would have at least another 2 wins on the year...

Better late than never

I don't know how many times I've said I think the PP works better when the point man moves down low, but man did it work well on his goal. Gelinas has been pretty impressive so far.

They also save goals by being good positionally and blocking shots.  It's just that you rarely see those goals, whereas you do see them being flat-footed and giving up goals that way and you blame them for that.

Fayne is really not much better than either Salvador or Volchenkov offensively.  It looked like he was from the first year he was here, but he isn't.  

True, but he's definitely a bit more mobile and I think he pinches in a lot more effectively than either Sal or Volch.

#226 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

They also save goals by being good positionally and blocking shots.  It's just that you rarely see those goals, whereas you do see them being flat-footed and giving up goals that way and you blame them for that.  I agree that both are not needed.

Fayne is really not much better than either Salvador or Volchenkov offensively.  It looked like he was from the first year he was here, but he isn't.  He can lead a rush up the ice a little better, but that seldom happens.

well my point is that Fayne is still young and could be part of this team for the future. I hate to see "his time" given to guys that we already can't wait to get rid of.

I'd just like them to "invest" more in him hoping to keep him rather than using the others to the bone. That poor kid must be so frustrated

www.SterioDesign.com

#227 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

well my point is that Fayne is still young and could be part of this team for the future. I hate to see "his time" given to guys that we already can't wait to get rid of.

I'd just like them to "invest" more in him hoping to keep him rather than using the others to the bone. That poor kid must be so frustrated

Fayne is as good as gone IMO. I don't like it, but between Deboer jerking him in an out of the lineup and the insertion of our prospects, he won't come back

#228 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Fayne is 27 in 2014 and the Devils have several players coming up behind him.  Gelinas has already taken his spot.  I don't think there's any way he's kept or that NJ is looking to - they have to pay him what he's worth now.  I don't think that's worth it if he's going to be used like this.

#229 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Fayne is 27 in 2014 and the Devils have several players coming up behind him.  Gelinas has already taken his spot.  I don't think there's any way he's kept or that NJ is looking to - they have to pay him what he's worth now.  I don't think that's worth it if he's going to be used like this.

yeah fair, just hope Lou could move him maybe once Salvador or A-Train if he could instead of jerking him off like that. I know he's good depth if we can make the playoffs but getting picks this year could help or package him for something.

www.SterioDesign.com

#230 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

ya The Fayne situation is tough and Im sure that Lou would love to move Sal or A-Train for something but I think the league knows this and there just are no takers. I like Fayne but ultimately it seems like we have stockpiled talent there. BTW, I changed channels with 10 minutes left and then passed out. Very happy to wake up and see we won.

#231 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

yeah fair, just hope Lou could move him maybe once Salvador or A-Train if he could instead of jerking him off like that. I know he's good depth if we can make the playoffs but getting picks this year could help or package him for something.

Don't really think there's much value there.  It wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but I don't think they could expect anything more than a 4th round pick.

It's only 11 games and his zone starts haven't been particularly friendly, but his Corsi is the worst on the defense so far.

#232 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

lol "jerking him off?"

But I have two random questions., but serious ones.

Why do we hate corey perry? He's just a dirtbag?

And has jagr made it known what his plans are after this year? Any chance we sign him for one more?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#233 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

lol "jerking him off?"

And has jagr made it known what his plans are after this year? Any chance we sign him for one more?

Wait until later on that one...as well as he's played for so far, the old guys tend to wear down as the season goes on.  If he's still playing to this level by the end of the year, I'll be beyond surprised...and extremely impressed. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#234 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

lol "jerking him off?"

If he looks this good all year, def something the team should consider. But the price will have to be right as I imagine we'll be paying that $2M on the cap next year for his game played bonus.

#235 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

If he looks this good all year, def something the team should consider. But the price will have to be right as I imagine we'll be paying that $2M on the cap next year for his game played bonus.

Devils will likely be able to fit most of the bonuses under this years cap, barring trades and injuries.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#236 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Anyone being honest knows we got some calls and lucky, not that the refs didn't try correct their mistake by giving the ducks tons of PP time. But this team still plays hard till the last second, they don't give up which is what you want out of your team. So on balance we deserved this, glad we got it also because points from the remaining 2 teams on this trip are going to be hard to come by. If we finish 1-1-1 on this trip I'd be happy as balls.

#237 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Jagr has said he wants to finish his career over seas so most likely back their after seasons end.

#238 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Don't really think there's much value there.  It wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but I don't think they could expect anything more than a 4th round pick.

It's only 11 games and his zone starts haven't been particularly friendly, but his Corsi is the worst on the defense so far.

its true but having picks will always be better than nothing, it's helping your chances to find a gem at some point. With our forwards depth in the minors i'd really try to get as much picks as i could, who knows which 4th pick could be a Gallagher/Loktionov or wtv. Worth the try. 

There's no way around it, it's always better to have assets to deal with than not having them. It gives you options.

edit : about the Jagr thing, i'd like to see him retire as a Devil really

Edited by SterioDesign, 21 November 2013 - 01:08 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#239 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Perry, to me, was diving and whining all night, in addition to running/making contact with Brodeur.  I didn't (and really still don't) have anything against him, I just think he was kinda playing a sh!tty game last night.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#240 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Jagr has said he wants to finish his career over seas so most likely back their after seasons end.

if jagr maintains this pace for the rest of the season there is no way he doesn't return to the NHL next year. It's clear to me he's not only playing at a high level but he loves doing it.

He'll go oversees when he can't compete here anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users