254 replies to this topic

#241 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

if jagr maintains this pace for the rest of the season there is no way he doesn't return to the NHL next year. It's clear to me he's not only playing at a high level but he loves doing it.

He'll go oversees when he can't compete here anymore.

If he doesn't fade I really hope he will come back.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#242 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

its true but having picks will always be better than nothing, it's helping your chances to find a gem at some point. With our forwards depth in the minors i'd really try to get as much picks as i could, who knows which 4th pick could be a Gallagher/Loktionov or wtv. Worth the try. 

There's no way around it, it's always better to have assets to deal with than not having them. It gives you options.

edit : about the Jagr thing, i'd like to see him retire as a Devil really

It's a weak draft and the Devils have 4 RH defensemen but no one behind that in the system.  Fayne's value is not 'nothing' to the Devils right now.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#243 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

It's a weak draft and the Devils have 4 RH defensemen but no one behind that in the system. Fayne's value is not 'nothing' to the Devils right now.

yeah if fayne can't fetch anything better than a third rounder it's just smarter to keep him and let him walk... If we make a playoff push and (maybe even a) run he could very well be a key to have if injury hits (this assumes sal and Volch get back)

A contender in need of a nice 3rd pairing d may be willing to bid up to a 3rd rounder for him, but even then if we're still in it is rather keep him.

#244 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

yeah if fayne can't fetch anything better than a third rounder it's just smarter to keep him and let him walk... If we make a playoff push and (maybe even a) run he could very well be a key to have if injury hits (this assumes sal and Volch get back)

A contender in need of a nice 3rd pairing d may be willing to bid up to a 3rd rounder for him, but even then if we're still in it is rather keep him.

This.  Some people don't get that you can't always try to horde mid-round picks for the future at the expense of the present.  I'm sure Fayne isn't thrilled with the way he's been used, but the fact is he's a good depth player who will get chances to play (he's played in over half of the Devils' games this season), and there's d-men on the Devils that have trouble staying healthy (exactly two have played in every game this season).  If the Devils are firmly in playoff contention as the season goes on, I'd rather have Fayne on the roster...even if the Devils are going to lose him for nothing.  Only exception would be if someone was willing to give up something more than he's worth to get him (which doesn't seem likely). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#245 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

This.  Some people don't get that you can't always try to horde mid-round picks for the future at the expense of the present.  I'm sure Fayne isn't thrilled with the way he's been used, but the fact is he's a good depth player who will get chances to play (he's played in over half of the Devils' games this season), and there's d-men on the Devils that have trouble staying healthy (exactly two have played in every game this season).  If the Devils are firmly in playoff contention as the season goes on, I'd rather have Fayne on the roster...even if the Devils are going to lose him for nothing.  Only exception would be if someone was willing to give up something more than he's worth to get him (which doesn't seem likely).

i feel like fayne gets cought often and cant make it back to the zone fast enough.. atleast last night anyway i noticed more then once he was behind the puck racing back to the zone with opposition in front of him already
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#246 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

i feel like fayne gets cought often and cant make it back to the zone fast enough.. atleast last night anyway i noticed more then once he was behind the puck racing back to the zone with opposition in front of him already

It's because he pinches more than some of the other D. I don't think it was his best night, but I mean, c'mon, the whole team was god awful last night except for Schneider.

#247 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

It's because he pinches more than some of the other D. I don't think it was his best night, but I mean, c'mon, the whole team was god awful last night except for Schneider.

I also think some guys like fayne who are sitting often then get in a game due to injury or just to rest another guy feel like they have to make a mark on the game to warrant the coach to keep them in the lineup.

They may take a few more risks to try to make something happen than if they knew they had a solid spot in the lineup.

#248 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I also think some guys like fayne who are sitting often then get in a game due to injury or just to rest another guy feel like they have to make a mark on the game to warrant the coach to keep them in the lineup.

They may take a few more risks to try to make something happen than if they knew they had a solid spot in the lineup.

Maybe so. I think Fayne actually does a good job of pinching at the right times, which is basically just knowing whether you can get to the puck before the other guy. I agree that him being in and out of the lineup would effect him. Not sure if it's him trying to impress or if it's just he can't get into a groove always being in and out.

What I don't get is how he goes from playing with Greene against top lines to sitting in the press box. That's what is baffling to me. I just don't think he's lost whatever he had two years ago to the point where he deserves this treatment.

#249 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Maybe so. I think Fayne actually does a good job of pinching at the right times, which is basically just knowing whether you can get to the puck before the other guy. I agree that him being in and out of the lineup would effect him. Not sure if it's him trying to impress or if it's just he can't get into a groove always being in and out.

What I don't get is how he goes from playing with Greene against top lines to sitting in the press box. That's what is baffling to me. I just don't think he's lost whatever he had two years ago to the point where he deserves this treatment.

two words...Pete Deboer

I also don't think JJ should be rotting away......does anybody know if he's still alive? 

#250 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

two words...Pete Deboer

I also don't think JJ should be rotting away......does anybody know if he's still alive? 

Also agree there. JJ is better at everything than Lil Gio. He's worth having in if only for the PK where he actually looks like he belongs compared to the stretching and waving the stick while way out of position that Gio does.

#251 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Also agree there. JJ is better at everything than Lil Gio. He's worth having in if only for the PK where he actually looks like he belongs compared to the stretching and waving the stick while way out of position that Gio does.

I wish Debo put JJ in on a line with Teddy for a few games (sit Cam and Gio) I think Teddy and JJ could mesh like Larsson and Gelinas did when Gelly started playing a few games back. It seemed to make Larsson way more comfortable...and I bet the Teddy/JJ thing could work........I mean we need all the offense we can get.

#252 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

It might work, if you had a physical, at least semi-skilled RW'er to balance out the line the way Clarkson did in late '10/11 when he was put with Josefson/Tedenby.  But we don't really have that player.  Cam's just physical and Clowe's staying in Chris Pronger's condo for a while.

Edited by NJDevs26, 22 November 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#253 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

It might work, if you had a physical, at least semi-skilled RW'er to balance out the line the way Clarkson did in late '10/11 when he was put with Josefson/Tedenby.  But we don't really have that player.  Cam's just physical and Clowe's staying in Chris Pronger's condo for a while.

Bernier says hello.

#254 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

lol true.  I guess that could work.

#255 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star